Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Shotgun Hulls

Chuckdee

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get everyones opinion on cleaning shotgun hulls. I will be starting to reload 12g for 3 gun. I was thinking of buying a cement mixer, and using a bunch of corn cob. I don't have any better ideas at the moment. Any other suggestions? I also want to know what you would use to separate the media after cleaning? Something big enough to separate a 1-2 hundred hulls at a time..

Thank you,

Charles

I shot in skeet and trap leagues since I was a pup and have reloaded thousands of shells, and except for dumping any debris/dirt out or wiping off the occasional mud blobs have never cleaned hulls in bulk, nor know of anybody who does. Not saying you cant clean them in bulk or that anything bad would happen, but I think your time and energy would be better spent elsewhere.

Let's see what others have to say.

Edited by Bamboo

No need to clean them. I'd throw out any that are too dirty to load as they are pretty easy to come by for little money.

However if you must, I do know a guy that put them in a mesh laundry bag and cleaned them in a washing machine.

i was at a sporting clays range once and noticed some Drunks that were passing as maintainance people dumping hulls in the trash....i asked one of the guys about it and he said he used to keep them but never did anything with them...long story short he went home and for $20 i got 10 skeet boxes full of once fired Win AA's....however most had gotten wet and ugly because his shed leaked.....i took them home put them in a laundry bags and washed in the washing machine, then spread out to dry......they came out looking like new....word to the wise, do this when wife is gone....D I C K

Don't waste your time. I loaded my tumbler and let it run all day and the results were that they looked the same as when I put them in.

As a.roberts said "Get the rocks, mud, bugs, and small children out of the inside and give the outside a roll on a towel or something if you feel the need to."

If they are muddy, then rinse them and let thhem air dry.

Thanks everyone!! That makes it one less thing to worry about until I start loading..

BTW, I got the sweetest deal to start me off to reload 12g. My friend sold me a pretty much brand new MEC 9000, about 2000 hulls, 6000 wads, 4000 primers, and about 600lbs of #7-8 shot for $400. Pretty sweet, right?

Stick them in the dishwasher on the tines that are supposed to hold the dishes in place. You might try this with decapped hulls to see if it makes a difference. You'll probably have to set cutting boards or something on top of them to keep the water pressure from blowing them off the tines. I wouldn't use the "heat dry" option :D . Let us know if this works, I just made it up as I went along here. :roflol:

Stick them in the dishwasher on the tines that are supposed to hold the dishes in place. You might try this with decapped hulls to see if it makes a difference. You'll probably have to set cutting boards or something on top of them to keep the water pressure from blowing them off the tines. I wouldn't use the "heat dry" option :D . Let us know if this works, I just made it up as I went along here. :roflol:

My wife baked me a birthday cake a few years ago and decided to decorate it with live 357 rounds. She put them in the dishwasher before she put them on the cake because she knew they were dirty and had lead on them. :lol: They sat around the shop for a few weeks until I fired them. They all went bang and the spent cases were spot free.

Thanks everyone!! That makes it one less thing to worry about until I start loading..

BTW, I got the sweetest deal to start me off to reload 12g. My friend sold me a pretty much brand new MEC 9000, about 2000 hulls, 6000 wads, 4000 primers, and about 600lbs of #7-8 shot for $400. Pretty sweet, right?

"Sweet Deal"is a gross understatement. If you went out and bought twenty-four 25Lb bags of shot at retail today it would cost you in the neighborhood of $1000-$1200