Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR, reticle will not light up

fastarget

Purchased a Burris XTR in September. Was impressed with the clear glass, mount and fastfire.

Took the scope home to mount and sight the rifle but noticed the reticle will not light up. Purchased new batts, still nothing. Tapped on top of the scope and the reticle would flicker on and off, but then totally off.

Took the scope back to the FFL where it was purchased, they would not exchange it, but offered to send it back for repairs. A few weeks lapsed,the scope came back with a note that the electronics were rebuilt, but out of the box, the reticle still would not work.

The store said I may be better off sending it myself. So I did. Came back yesterday with another note that the reticle components were rebuilt, but still upon turning it on, nothing. Batteries , nothing. Turned the magnification ring, and it came on, but then off. Turned the ring the other way, it came on and then off, and now nothing.

I thought these things were reliable from searching and reading, Looks like I will be sending it back to Burris for the third time again, and I still have not had the chance to use it once.

What are your experiences with your XTR? am I missing something operating the scope?

I have the 1.5 to 6 and have no problems other than it eating batteries. A friend has the 1-4 version with no problems and it doesn't eat batteries. Both have been abused (3gun matches) and work great. It sounds like you may have a fluke and a replacement scope may be in order.

Called Burris, I put it on speaker and held for a while.

Spoke to a very pleasant Gentleman who said they have a strict no replacement policy, and that I need to resend it in.

I told him then confirmed while speaking with him, that the reticle will not light up, but I can get it to come on if I turn the power switch on then move the magnification ring back and forth or just rock it. Yes it does rock with a click, this could make it come on and off. He said those things are not related,,,,,I agree they should not, but they must be in this scope.

It is in the mail basket ready to be picked up for round number 3. Burris is ony a couple of hours from my house, so it should be there tomorrow or monday.

Called Burris, I put it on speaker and held for a while.

Spoke to a very pleasant Gentleman who said they have a strict no replacement policy, and that I need to resend it in.

I told him then confirmed while speaking with him, that the reticle will not light up, but I can get it to come on if I turn the power switch on then move the magnification ring back and forth or just rock it. Yes it does rock with a click, this could make it come on and off. He said those things are not related,,,,,I agree they should not, but they must be in this scope.

It is in the mail basket ready to be picked up for round number 3. Burris is ony a couple of hours from my house, so it should be there tomorrow or monday.

That really sucks that this is happening... Most likely the issue is with the battery cradle not completely contacting...

We shall see after this repair, the work order states it was inspected and working each time before they send it out, but will not work upon arrival. The movement of the magnifying ring, and rock in the ring up and down making the reticle light up is odd. Not sure about daytime illumination, never had a chance to try it.

I am loosing faith in Burris, even though a majority seem to fair well with them.

i have the 1-4 xtr great scope i beat it up at 3 gun matches for about 3 years now with no problem,however i wish the ill. would be brighter so it could be seen in the daylight

I picked up a tip here to stack two 2016 batteries instead of using a single 2032. Not as bright as a Meopta, but bright enough for usable daylight illum.

I've had two XTR14's and both were great. Hope Burris fixes it for you.

I have read much about the battery doubling and increases in brightness, also shortening in battery life (not relevant). How well the electronics hold up is another issue. Burris' made it clear that the scope/optics has the lifetime warranty but the electronics only 5 years on some 3 on others. With the issues already with this unit, I am not sure I want to try any mods.

Edited by fastarget

They couldn't fix my tac 30, had a bad parralax problem. Sent me a brand new scope. I believe it even says that in the warranty. But not sure off the top of my head.

Not sure how your scope works at the factory and then doesn't when it gets to you. That's strange

They couldn't fix my tac 30, had a bad parralax problem. Sent me a brand new scope. I believe it even says that in the warranty. But not sure off the top of my head.

Not sure how your scope works at the factory and then doesn't when it gets to you. That's strange

Both times the work order says rebuilt electronics, CS guy on the phone said his info is that they cleaned the leads and contacts, and inspected. But it does not. Possibly see it work on one magnification, but as you tap on the scope or just wiggle the magnification ring up and down, not even turn it, it flickers on and off. Strange it is, now shipped for the 3rd time on my dime.

Im asssuming you got a tracking number, but once you see they recived it. Make sure you call to explain in detail what's going on. I would even ask for the tech working on it himself. Then walk him through each thing you had a problem with.

I have the 1-4 XTR and the 1.5-6 for over a year now and I haven't had any problems with either of them. I did buy a Burris Landmark spotting scope and the large front lens was chipped, sent it in, and they sent a new one out. So, I have been perfectly happy with their CS and feel for ya.

Im asssuming you got a tracking number, but once you see they recived it. Make sure you call to explain in detail what's going on. I would even ask for the tech working on it himself. Then walk him through each thing you had a problem with.

great idea, proposed it to the CS gent. they are about 2 hours from me so it should be there monday. Told him will call monday to describe symptoms (sent the repair order from the web as well), and he would expedite repairs. We will see.

Looked at the a Tac 30 for my wife today, looks nice but she said no for now since the "other" was a lemon.....

I bought the XTR to go on my current 3-gun rifle. I like the retical but the quality/execution of the scope itself is disappointing for the $700.00 price point. To me there are better quality scopes for this price point.

Mine had to go back because one of the spacers for one of the lenses started flopping around inside the scope. Couldnt believe it, but things happen and Burris fixed it under warranty. Just havent had the same confidence in it since. Bought a USO (American made) and havent looked back.

As for the illumination. Mine went on and off with recoil. Took the battery out and forgot about it.

Purchased a Burris XTR in September. Was impressed with the clear glass, mount and fastfire.

Took the scope home to mount and sight the rifle but noticed the reticle will not light up. Purchased new batts, still nothing. Tapped on top of the scope and the reticle would flicker on and off, but then totally off.

Took the scope back to the FFL where it was purchased, they would not exchange it, but offered to send it back for repairs. A few weeks lapsed,the scope came back with a note that the electronics were rebuilt, but out of the box, the reticle still would not work.

The store said I may be better off sending it myself. So I did. Came back yesterday with another note that the reticle components were rebuilt, but still upon turning it on, nothing. Batteries , nothing. Turned the magnification ring, and it came on, but then off. Turned the ring the other way, it came on and then off, and now nothing.

I thought these things were reliable from searching and reading, Looks like I will be sending it back to Burris for the third time again, and I still have not had the chance to use it once.

What are your experiences with your XTR? am I missing something operating the scope?

Burris will take care of you. They lost a Fast Fire I sent back to them that broke. I kept waiting for a replacement and nothing. I finally called and they did not get it or it had been lost in the warehouse. They sent me a new Fast fire and a free Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20 scope. Great customer service.

Pat

I bought the XTR to go on my current 3-gun rifle. I like the retical but the quality/execution of the scope itself is disappointing for the $700.00 price point. To me there are better quality scopes for this price point.

Mine had to go back because one of the spacers for one of the lenses started flopping around inside the scope. Couldnt believe it, but things happen and Burris fixed it under warranty. Just havent had the same confidence in it since. Bought a USO (American made) and havent looked back.

As for the illumination. Mine went on and off with recoil. Took the battery out and forgot about it.

Friend of mine lost a lens on his first outing with his xtr at the match while I was the SO on the stage, this was the middle of Oct, he has not gotten it back yet.......

Well, I think you sum up how I feel. We all budget and sacrifice to play, we try to buy the best equipment we can afford, I try and buy local and USA. When something like this happens you lose confidence in that piece of equipment/company, most are like me, dont want glitz and a "name" , only quality=reliability.

I did a search on Swaro prices, I will have to look at the USO and or anything someone may suggest.

Wow....Even the two cheap Milletts I have banged around on some guns for the past 3 years haven't given me any issues. I run a Vortex on my 3 gun rifles but almost got a XTR because I like the reticle.

Craig