Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf or other Russian ammo..

G17fan

Hello everyone, how reliable is this type of ammo for shooting single stack in .45ACP?

CCI, Tula, Wolf ect... Will/does it cause problems with feeding or ejecting anymore than brass?

Thanks.

Edited by G17fan

Back when factory ammo was much cheaper, I shot Wolf .45 through my Springfield Loaded two or three years in a row at the Single Stack Classic--not to mention a bunch of local matches. It functioned perfectly, was accurate enough, and caused no visible damage or accelerated wear on the gun. I think the stuff is perfectly fine for autopistols. I did notice stickier extraction the few times I shot Wolf .45 through one of my revolvers, but that's a whole different situation.

• 5 months later...

I had the same basic question.... I have no loading equipment and don't plan to buy any anytime soon. I like to shoot cheap ammo... just cause I'm cheap. I plan to shoot my first competition next month and hope I'm not laughed out for using factory ammo. ;)

You are asking the wrong question. Wolf, Tula, and the other bi metal "bullet" ammo is very bad for your barrel. It has an extremely thin coat of copper on the bullet and under that a steel jacket, when you fire it thru the gun the rifiling cuts thru that ultra thin coating and you have steel to steel and this causes excessive wear on the barrel.

I shot 5,000 wolf thru an AR and after that you couldn't hit anything with it.

The question should be how many rounds before barrel failure with this cheap ammo?

Stick a magnet up to the ammo, it stick, then take a pocket knife and scrape it slightly to expose the steel jacket.

Reloading is cheaper than wolf. Why aren't you reloading.

For me personally, I haven't gotten into reloading because I have shot enough to justify it. I only have about 300 rds thru my 1911 currently and I've had it for a few years.

I haven't put anything but Winchester rds from Walmart thru it though. Don't know if those are better than the Wolf stuff or not.

I plan to start shooting my 1911 with the local club soon, so if I'm going thru lots of rds I'll most likely consider reloading then.

Hey, I just wanted you to be aware that it isn't the case that is bad it is the bullets. When I could buy Blazer Brass in 40 for $7.00 I box I didn't bother loading, but when it hit $14 that was it. Since then being a cometition shooter I would probably keep reloading even if the price where cheaper to buy them, because you can load them how you want them and they shoot much better for USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challege, as well as 3-Gun. I use factory ammo in my carry gun, on the advise of my attorney.

You aren't saving money when you are damaging the gun, it is about $600 to have a new barrel put in and fitted, properly.,.

You aren't saving money when you are damaging the gun, it is about $600 to have a new barrel put in and fitted, properly.,.

Ron--stop, OK?

The bullets in Wolf .45 ACP ammo are NOT steel jacketed. Get a magnet and test it for yourself.

Someone gave me 200 rds of Wolf 45acp, it was 230 gr jhp. Steel case copper jacketed lead. I shot some of it, seemed to be accurat enough, we cromoed that stuff and it was pretty consistent but the pf was in the high 180s, strong stuff, wouldnt want to shoot a 175 rd match with it. I passed it on to someone else. But if I ever wanted to kill a Buick I would buy some.----------Larry

I shot 5,000 wolf thru an AR and after that you couldn't hit anything with it.

How long do expect a high powered rifle barrel to last? You can't expect them to last anywhere near as many rounds as a pistol. In a 223 you are burning about 22-25 grains of powder each time you pull the trigger and it makes about 55,000 psi. The barrel dies from throat erosion, not bullets sliding down the bore!

Mike

I've shot thousands upon thousands of wolf steel case .45 230grn FMJ from my clark custom 1911's, my HK USP tactical, and Glock 21, finding suprisingly good accuracy.

I've even shot wolf gold line 75grn JHP under 3" at 500 yards from my Mk12 and shot 62grn JHP under at .54 MOA from a shaw 20" 8" twist .223 SS bbl.

In wolf I trust.

For me personally, I haven't gotten into reloading because I have shot enough to justify it. I only have about 300 rds thru my 1911 currently and I've had it for a few years.

I haven't put anything but Winchester rds from Walmart thru it though. Don't know if those are better than the Wolf stuff or not.

I plan to start shooting my 1911 with the local club soon, so if I'm going thru lots of rds I'll most likely consider reloading then.

Reloading .45 is the easiest.

If you want to start slow, get 3 single-stage presses from Lee ($75 +/-)

Lee dies ... ($35)

Hand primer ... ($15)

Total ... $125

It's slow, but beats the crap outta' spending all your time indexing a progressive ... & it's 1/8 the cost! ...& you'll pay for it in about 500 rds.

If you get so you want to load lots then get a Dillon, but if you just want to get your feet wet this'll do.

It's fun & you get to tinker w/ loads...& if you don't like it your out not much $$$.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

If you want to start slow, get 3 single-stage presses from Lee ($75 +/-)

Lee dies ... ($35)

Hand primer ... ($15)

Total ... $125

It's slow, but beats the crap outta' spending all your time indexing a progressive.

Good God, man--life is way too short to load ammo on a single-stage press. If you can afford to shoot, you can afford a Dillon Square Deal B, which is a great progressive press which features auto-indexing.