Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring for 6" Lightened Gun

AH6IP

I run a standard length 14# spring in mine. It doesn't have a "6inch" spring plug, just a standard, makes it feel like a 10-12# regular spring. I think for .45, assumeing a standard spring plug, I would start at 18# and try a 16#. I did notice mine seems to be fairly hard on the guide rod head so I put in a dreaded shock buff and change it every 1000 or so. I may at some time get a 6" spring plug, or see about getting a true 6" spring. KURTM

For the light 6" he built for me, BrianH made a custom spring plug that uses 5" springs. I use a 14# spring (slide is 13oz with sights). 12# feels really snappy, I like the sights to move a little slower. I have a bushing barrel though, I think I would go lighter if I had a bull barrel.

FWIW, I use a 14# in my 5" .45 as well.

Though now that Kurt mentions it, the idea of giving a 5" spring an extra inch of slack with a longslide spring plug is intriguing...

Wolff makes longslide springs, but they're unrated. That is, they're not 12lb, 14lb, 16lb, etc. but rather #1, #2, etc. and you just figure out which one you like. I had the custom spring plugs made because I didn't want to deal with that, and because I wanted the option of using ISMI springs.

• 2 weeks later...

For those shooting a Bull barrel 6", the STI reverse plug for a 6" is designed to use a 5" spring. Might save you some work.... but for a 6" plug for a Bushing gun that needs to be long due to lightening cuts, etc. it may require fabrication....

AH61P,

I am not familiar with that plug, but be sure that it is lightweight and not a solid plug. I have a "knock-around" old AMT Longslide (7-inch barrel) that a friend/'smith performed a lot of lightening on the slide. It is not what I consider a quality piece, just a piece to go play with. But it seemed the cycling was soooooooooo slow, that I took it to him and asked if there was anything he could do to "quicken the pace" a bit. He told me to throw the gun away and use one of my good guns!!! But I left it with him and he lightened the hell out of the slide, and told me that he took as much weight off of the recoil spring plug as he took off of the enitre slide!! The recoil spring plug was a little over 2-inches long so the gun used standard 5-inch springs. HOWEVER, the plug was SOLID stainless steel, with just a hollow "lip" for the recoil spring to seat into. Well, he did a super lightening job on the plug. He warned me that some plugs for extended slide guns are solid, so they account for a lot of reciprocating mass. He said to always be sure in a long slide, that the recoil spring plug is hollow and light, NOT one of the "stupid" solid units. He said if it is solid, lighten it up to the maximum.

Just passing it on. Hope it helps.

Best to all,

Jeffro (Jeff)

I had a pair of 6" STI's and I used a standard 12.5 ISMI minus 2 coils. One is a reverse plug and the other a bushing, but they are the same internal length as the 5" (I think)

Whatever the case, I haven't any problems with a standard length spring.

I have a 6" STI 45 Bullseye gun with the bushing barrel that was built by Tony Kidd and what we came up with was to take the STI reverse plug for a 6" slide that uses 5" springs and turn down the collar at the back and then turn the face to work as a bushing type plug. I am currently running a 12.5 ISMI spring which works great for Bullseye shooting as the slide has not been lightned much other than flat topping it and cutting the back down for the use of a Docter sight. It is an absolute tack driver I might add ! ;)