Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Site options on the Tanfoglio Limited Custom

Danfoglio54

Hi everyone..

Just want to find out if anyone here has used a different rear site for their Limited Custom.

I have a pair of these guns and have had the rear site fail on me at least 4 times for both guns. Once

it was in a match before i got my backup gun so i shot the last two stages without a rear site.. That worked out

ok but not optimal. I was cleaning my guns the other day and noticed that the rear site on my Backup gun is

now starting to crack. I have an extra LPA rear site i bought from the Tanfoglio dealer here in Canada but was

wondering if anyone has used rear sites that last longer.. This is the 5th one i have had to replace. At 82 bucks

a pop + shipping and Taxes.. would like something that lasts a bit longer.

Each failure was the rear blade breaking off the site. The one i lost in the match the pin that holds the hinge in

place fell out and i lost the bar all together. This last site the side of the tube that holds the rear blade in place is

cracking and will no doubt fail if i keep it on the gun.

I am shooting VV N320 loads with a PF of 174 or so. OAL 1.215 with a berrys plated bullet so its a very soft recoil

plus i am using an 11 lb Wolff recoil spring so i dont think i am beating the crap out of the gun or rather the site.

What options do i have? Do I have to keep putting those crappy LPA sites back on the gun after each failure?

or are there other options out there.

Thanks a lot..

Dan

Edited by Danfoglio54

I just looked at the Henning site and he lists the Stock LPA adjustable site that will fit my gun..

and fixed site the will fit the Stock and the Match but not the Limited.

Any other options?

Dan

There are two more options that are coming shortly. Henning will be releasing his own adjustable and fixed sights for the Limited guns and the Stock guns will follow in the near future. Henning's new sights are in direct responce to the problems we have all been having with the dang LPA sights falling apart.

Thats good news!.. These LPA sites have not inspired confidence due to the failure rate i have experienced.

The only problem for me is that Henning does not ship to Canada anymore .. bummer.. oh well ...

i guess i will have to pay somebody with an export permit to import some of

them for me.... but that will likely double the cost for me.. oh well.. thats what we come to expect being

Canadian... having to pay more for most of the stuff we purchase.. :angry2:

That is a bummer! Thankfully I got lucky and my Canadian roots migrated south about 50 years ago. Keep checking in with Henning though, I know he is working on some new export options to get back to the rest of the world and keep everyone legal and happy. In the meantime, one trick with the LPA sights that will expend their life is to adjust them to where you want them and then flood all of the adjustments with Green (penetrating) Lock-tite. This helps to stop the flapping around that contributes to parts flying off at really inconvenient times.

James

That is a bummer! Thankfully I got lucky and my Canadian roots migrated south about 50 years ago. Keep checking in with Henning though, I know he is working on some new export options to get back to the rest of the world and keep everyone legal and happy. In the meantime, one trick with the LPA sights that will expend their life is to adjust them to where you want them and then flood all of the adjustments with Green (penetrating) Lock-tite. This helps to stop the flapping around that contributes to parts flying off at really inconvenient times.

I thought you use targets pasters... :sight:

I thought you use targets pasters... :sight:

SHSH! That's the super secret fix! :roflol:

Actually, I do use a target paster on top of the sight to keep the elevation screw from moving under recoil. It really does work but it looks pretty silly. The Green Lock-tite works better to fill the windage adjustment and keep the blade from flopping around. I have used Red on the elevation adjustment but recently I've been lazy and just stuck the paster on there.

Edited by Casman

Thanks for all the tips guys.. I will just have to make due until something else becomes available.

The first time my blade broke off i bought a piece of steel from Canadian Tire and then used files

and a dremel to fashion a new one.. Took me two days but it worked until the new one came in..

Was during match season and i needed something quick.. Wishing i was a machinist as i would

just build my own.. but im not.. :(

I will try that green locktite trick.. Thanks again

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

YAY! I just picked up two, New Fixed Rear Sights, from Henning for my Limited guns. Henning has been really busy with several big projects that are coming in the near future so he hasn't had time to put these on his web-site just yet (they were only finished in the past week) but if you call the shop they can get you taken care of.

There are two models made to fit the Limited guns, one with dog ears and a wider notch and one with square cornders and a medium notch. Both look great, have beefy set screws and really nice clean lines across the back face. I would say my broken rear sight problems are now a thing of the past!

I'm heading to the range with them today, so I'll post a follow up to this afterwords.

James

• 2 weeks later...