Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pack for 3 gun

caz41

I'm off work today and enjoying a beautiful morning so I thought I would show what an Eberlestock is capable of carrying. This is a Gunslinger II, with (2) surplus USGI ACOG pouches on the left and right side, a USGI gas mask pouch on the front and an Eberlestock padded pouch on the bottom.

399719969.jpg

In the gas mask pouch, I have a small first aid kit, drink bottle, and eye pro. Each ACOG pouch carries 2 rifle mags (30 round AR mags or 20 round 308 mags fit great). I have a Leatherman MUT on the left side. The padded pouch towards the top of the pack has a timer and ear pro. The bottom pouch has a range finder and camera, with enough room for some other stuff. You can't see the two lower side pockets, one contains a OTIS 308 cleaning kit, the other has a rain cover for the pack.

399719973.jpg

Opening up the inside, I have two double pistol mag pouches and a double AR mag pouch. The AR mag pouch has some snacks since 308 mags won't fit. My pistol is in the rug.

399719975.jpg

Meat and potatos. 100 rounds of shotgun in the bottom, 150 rounds of pistol on the right side, 20 rounds of slug on the left. I could double the pistol and slug ammo if needed. Two more rifle mag carriers on the inside sides too for a total of 6 mags and 120 rounds. I also carry a sectional cleaning rod for stuck case removal.

399719976.jpg

The top pouch has tools and small parts. Inside the zippered pouch are choke tube and wrench, allen wrench set, Samson Field Survivor, M14 combo tool, batteries, superglue, and electrical tape.

399719978.jpg

I think I carry too much crap....but it sucks to have to walk back to the truck for something when in the back 40 at Rockcastle.

399719979.jpg

I'm off work today and enjoying a beautiful morning <snip>

I see one major difference between Bryan and I [well two, if you count talent], I was using the old style Gunslinger that had no molle, and no pouches/pockets, just the hydration bladder pouch inside a full length pack, no baffles or dividers. There was a little key/phone pouch on the top flap, otherwise it was like the inside of an alice pack. There was also a zipper on one side, but good luck getting it back zipped if you were loaded.

So, many of the issues I had with this pack appear to have been either fixed or alleviated with the newer model, thus I withdraw my earlier critical comments.

The Eberlestock leaves the long guns exposed and does not have enough room. The Midway is okay for a few matches, but not very durable.

How much stuff do you haul? I used my GSII for the last two Ironman matches in Trooper class and did fine.

I have the smaller Daypack for hunting, that one is too small, did not have molle loops etc.

Barry, your critical comments are spot on- for the Gunslinger. Eberlestock makes about a dozen different packs, some of which are good for 3 gun and some are poor. Your negative experience w/ the Gunslinger may help someone else from assuming because it's an Eberlestock it's what they want- when they need to actually look closer at which model suits their needs.

The GSII is a good pack, but I think the Phantom is probably a GREAT 3 gun pack. It has more internal dividers and pockets.

Midway is the only 3 gun supporter that I know of that carries these packs. I thought CPWSA may, but checking Chris' site I couldn't find them.

Barry, your critical comments are spot on- for the Gunslinger. Eberlestock makes about a dozen different packs, some of which are good for 3 gun and some are poor. Your negative experience w/ the Gunslinger may help someone else from assuming because it's an Eberlestock it's what they want- when they need to actually look closer at which model suits their needs.

The GSII is a good pack, but I think the Phantom is probably a GREAT 3 gun pack. It has more internal dividers and pockets.

Midway is the only 3 gun supporter that I know of that carries these packs. I thought CPWSA may, but checking Chris' site I couldn't find them.

The Operator is a good pack and seems to be the same as the Phantom without the detachable rifle scabbard.

Back to the eblestock, does anyone use an other scabbard other than the standard SG scabbard? I see they offer a few other scabbards.

I've got the scoped rifle scabbard on the side of mine for my shotgun.

Back to the eblestock, does anyone use an other scabbard other than the standard SG scabbard? I see they offer a few other scabbards.

I have one too and am wondering how everybody is attaching theirs to the packs?

Any pics????????

I have one too and am wondering how everybody is attaching theirs to the packs?

Any pics????????

there are a couple clips and a strap on it that I hooked to the molle on the side of the pack then I wrapped the straps that go around the pack around the scabbard.

post-24822-0-36902300-1323028124_thumb.j

post-24822-0-48189400-1323028132_thumb.j

I am looking at putting the SG in the scabbard and then putting it in the main weapon compartment with the rifle like Bryan and Chuck talked about. Just wondering which scabbard to do it with.

Eberlestock make a pretty nice scabbard that I use inside the main compartment of my GSII with the shotgun. I just wish it didnt have molle on one side (it has molle on both sides) it makes it hard to put anything in afterward the molle loops grab EVERTHING.

Bryan, Is that a roll of black electrician's tape I see in your write up? Go figure. Nice write up and pics...thanks. That thing looks like it ways a TON loaded with ammo!