Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Primer Woes

I am having a problem where the primers are getting stuck sideways in the primer magazine orifice tip (blue, small primer).

-I have done all of Brian's tricks/recommendations. They worked for other issues I was having.

-I have already tried new orifice pieces from my spare parts kit

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? seems like it may be dragging on the primer cup or something, twisting it and lodging it sideways?

I would call Dillon right now but it is 6pm.

Thanks for any help, Enos family.

I would check the height of the primer cup. It may be high and catching the edge of the primer and flipping it. It should be 1.215-1.22". Also check that the primer assembly is fully back in the housing to pickup the next primer. The adjusment screw is on the housing. Also check that it's traveling freely, no binding. Even if you changed the tip on the primer tube, check that it is fully down and in the notch, and the top is snugged down. Good luck.

DO you have the the large or small tube set in the 550? I had the same problem and that was the solution. I had the large tube installed and I was running small primers in it.

This.

Also, check the cup height.

Get a flashlight and watch what goes on in the primer housing.

DO you have the the large or small tube set in the 550? I had the same problem and that was the solution. I had the large tube installed and I was running small primers in it.

My first thought as well.

I am using the correct magazine tube and orifice.

I will have to check the cup height I guess.

I have also adjusted how far the slide can go back but even after Brian's scotch brite pad polishing, i still notice it is dragging on the last little bit before going all the way back. I've tried loosening the whole primer system as well. :huh: