Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any good excercises to learn prepping trigger?

dry fire is the best way - my trigger is around 2 pounds and lots of dry fire allows me to prep it without worrying about my prep turning into a accidental discharge. Dry fire does not necessarily mean pulling the trigger every time. i practice things like presenting the gun with the trigger prepped. couple thousand of those will make it seem natural come match day.

I attended a Bruce Grey class; he is big on trigger prep.

Basically dry fire without firing most of the time.

Start with slow trigger prep to the point just before release, then ease off the trigger, repeat. Then add speed, and then add to your draw stroke. Your trigger prep should be finished just before the sights come into view.

The goal being to get to the same point in the prep each time and as close as possible to the release so that only the slight “press” remain to take the shot.

Repeat 10,000 times.

I think if you Google Bruce Grey video you will find a clip of him explaining his trigger prep exercise. Don't have time now, I'll look later.

Not sure how trigger prep applies to a 1911 type gun.

This is only one opinion of many I’m sure.

David E.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a class with Ted Puente. He teaches aggressive trigger reset. It not only helps your trigger control, but your recoil control also, if practiced properly. I've had training from 4 other GMs, but Ted's was the best.

Take a class with Ted Puente. He teaches aggressive trigger reset. It not only helps your trigger control, but your recoil control also, if practiced properly. I've had training from 4 other GMs, but Ted's was the best.

how does trigger control help in recoil management? I thought trigger finger manipulation should be independent from the rest of the hand and fingers?

I think if you Google Bruce Grey video you will find a clip of him explaining his trigger prep exercise. Don't have time now, I'll look later.

Not sure how trigger prep applies to a 1911 type gun.

This is only one opinion of many I’m sure.

David E.

I prep my 2011/1911 the same way I do my glocks. of course they have different actuation points but w/ practice they are basically the same, press them at the point of release only. My 2011s has 2# trigger, glocks >4#. I taught myself to always feel the trigger everytime my trigger finger make contact. It has to be relaxed to be tactile. W/ contineous practice I do it subconsciously now.

• 1 month later...

Take a class from Mike Seeklander or get his training DVDs. He teaches the Accelerated Control Pull (ACP) & Continous Control Pull (CCP) trigger prepping methods. Just finished taking a 2-day course from him & on match day after missing an entire plate rack on stage one (I'm a new shooter & this was my 1st match) he reviewed the CCP trigger prep with me & on the next 2 stages I went 5/5 on a Texas Star & 4/4 on steel knock downs focusing on what he taught me ... I was so surprised on the Star that I almost forgot to engage the last paper target ...

+1 for practicing strong hand and weak hand only. Getting better at prepping the trigger with each hand will pay huge dividends when you use a two hand grip.

+1 Practicing strong/weakhand sight picture+trigger prep will make freestyle feel effortless.