Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you get light primer strikes w/ XL650 and M&Ps?

Just received a new M&P .45 and fired first 50 reloads with it tonight (Win primers). I had 5 light strikes (Fired on second chambering). I noted all the primers were barely dimpled. I've never had a light strike with my reloads in my Colt Commander and the primers are nicely punched. When I received my gun I noted that it was mentioned to people on the line that training ammo (Winchester NT) could experience light strikes but the duty ammo (Win Ranger .45 ACP +P) would not have any issues (1 shooter had a light strike on the Win Ranger +P).

Its a new gun to me (300 rounds) so I cant say for sure what the cause is but I'll be keeping note, especially in light of your post. I really like the gun I hope there are not any issues. I load on a 1050 and my experience is just about 1000 rounds reloaded. There are a number of variables in my case - inexperienced reloader and a new gun. Time will tell if there is a problem.

If a primer fails to ignite on the first strike, then ignites on the second strike, this indicates the primer wasn't seated deep enough the first time. Some brands of primers, notably Federal and current Winchester(brass primer cups)primers, are more sensitive than others.

The other 400 rounds fired through my Colt in this lot worked without any issues. When I make my next batch of .45 ACP I will give the primer punch a little more seat to account for the Smith and Wesson system.

Attached are pictures of two cases from the same reload lot. Just for kicks guess which one is the Colt and which one is the M&P. The load is W231 5.5 grns, RP once fired cases, Win LPP with a Precision Delta 230 FMJ on top.

range006.jpg

range005.jpg

Edited by pmclaine

If a primer fails to ignite on the first strike, then ignites on the second strike, this indicates the primer wasn't seated deep enough the first time. Some brands of primers, notably Federal and current Winchester(brass primer cups)primers, are more sensitive than others.

This has been my experience as well. FWIW, I've been using Remington 5 1/2 primers for some time on my .40 S&W loads for my M&P with no issues other than the occasional high primer not detonating on the first strike, but firing on the second strike.

Edited by snow patrol

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same issues with mixed brass and Winchester primers using the 650. There's up to a 5% failure rate out of Glocks, CZ's and S&W. I have not had any failure to fire problems when using my 550 or the Square Deal. I was hoping someone had some insight into what is happening and how to remedy it.

Thanks,

Nick

I have had the same issues with mixed brass and Winchester primers using the 650. There's up to a 5% failure rate out of Glocks, CZ's and S&W. I have not had any failure to fire problems when using my 550 or the Square Deal. I was hoping someone had some insight into what is happening and how to remedy it.

Thanks,

Nick

Maybe slow down and get good pulls on the press? I make sure I feel each primer seating and if it felt like it sat funny I take a sec and look at it. Also I do a final inspection for high primers before I bag them.

Edited by sdm74