Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marvel Precision

honda01

I bought a used Marvel One in great shape with 5 steel mags a couple months back. Then I stumbled onto a deal for 8 more steel mags.

I have used CCI SV in mine. I may get one bobble in 12 mags; a round that doesn't go all the way in the chamber. I find that if I make slidedown reloads leaving one in the chamber that I have virtually no issues. And I believe all the issues I have had were mag related. It looks to me as if the some of my mags have lips that need slight adjustment to hold the first round where it needs to be.

I have no experience with other conversion units but I'd have no qualms about buying another Marvel.

Now I just need a frame to mount it on permanently.

I bought a used Marvel One in great shape with 5 steel mags a couple months back. Then I stumbled onto a deal for 8 more steel mags.

I have used CCI SV in mine. I may get one bobble in 12 mags; a round that doesn't go all the way in the chamber. I find that if I make slidedown reloads leaving one in the chamber that I have virtually no issues. And I believe all the issues I have had were mag related. It looks to me as if the some of my mags have lips that need slight adjustment to hold the first round where it needs to be.

I have no experience with other conversion units but I'd have no qualms about buying another Marvel.

Now I just need a frame to mount it on permanently.

Your in the same boat as I was... I had mags feeding problems till I found a vice and closed up the feed "lips"... that and useing GOOD ammo cleared ALL of my feeding problems... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm also looking for a "bottom end" for my "top end"..... :cheers:

I have a unit 1 and I love it. I have tried a couple different mags and I have found the inexpensive polymer Kimber ones work the best. The metal colt ace style have acted up from time to time, but the Kimbers run like a champ.. it could be because I am running a Kimber frame!

I chose the unit 1 for the ability to add a comp to it. They are a bit more "accurate" than the unit 2, but I doubt I would notice the difference.

I bought a used unit 1 on gunbroker for $275 with 2 mags. I love it. Loading the mags is a pain and you have got to keep it clean and lubed. I use blazer bulk ammo and it runs well. I have it mounted on my Dan Wesson PM-7 fame and it mimics my PM-9 perfectly. I will have to try a kimber mag or 2.

They make a loader for the mags, it works great.

You got a good deal. I paid $450 for mine used with 5 mags. Then I bought another 8 mags from another guy. I'm swimming in mags. I can really burn through some ammo shooting at two steel plates. It's a hoot. Sorry I waited so long.

I have had a Marvel for at least 10 years. What is the difference between a unit 1 and unit 2? How do you tell the difference?

BTW- Mine seems to like CCI high velocity ammo. The book says use only standard velocity, but mine is more accurate and reliable with the high vel. These conversions are tackdrivers! I bought an inexpensive new Essex frame as a dedicated lower and it works great, although it kind of defeats the purpose of training with the same trigger and feel as on my SS frame. I just got tired of taking it apart and putting it back together. Great gun for cheap fun, and amazing accuracy!

The unit 2 is more like an aluminum version of the colt ace conversion: the entire slide moves. I've used my unit 2 with an STI 2011 for a couple of years and have just found the ammo/mag combination it likes (tacsol mag, 40gr CCI mini-mags) It's still not 100% reliable, but I've gotten a lot of practice in clearing malfunctions quickly. The sights are set up remarkably close to my limited setup, and I have found it to be a great training aid.

I also didn't have the mag loader for the Marvel-STI mags and spent more time loading than shooting. I would usually take some pliers to a spent .22 mag shell and use it in place of the loader, but it sure made me wish for a third hand.

Just picked up the conversion 1, with compensator and dot scope. It came with two colt ace mags. You guys were right about the mags, they suck loading, and it will be even worse when the cold weather hits. It shoots very well off the Baer frame, so I plan to try it at the Steel match tomorrow in Ankeny and see how it really runs.

While I dont personally own one, I have shot a Unit 1 on several occasions. I was very impressed with the feeding reliability and the accuracy on a tricked out Caspian lower. I haven't really shot any other brand so I guess I'm sort of partial to it. However, I dont see how you could go wrong getting one.

The Marvel shot as advertised. I wanted to shoot it in the steel match this past weekend, but with only two mags and it being cold out, there's no way I could keep up without causing delays. I found that it shot fine with any kind of .22 ammo.

I had a Marvel Unit 1 and it would run reasonably well with most high velocity ammunition for about 200 rounds, then stumble until cleaned. It did not like standard velocity ammunition.

I prefer the Tactial Solutions conversion with similar accuracy and it runs very well.

I currently have a unit 1 with 6 mags for my single stack, I just picked up a new 2011 from Bobby Keigans and plan to either sell my marvel unit 1 with all the single stack mags or try and find a tactical solutions conversion to run on my 2011... Or maybe just get the mags for a 2211 settup.. So many decisions.