Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vietnam in HD

Mark R

I like good war flicks, especially when they are in HD.

History channel is having a 6 hour documentary on Vietnam in High Definition starting tonight at 8pm central time. If you get HD, might want to tune in. Tonight is Rolling Thunder.

Heres a question. How did they get it in HD when the original film was well...not so HD.

I always wondered that about old films, but ya I am going to record it also.

I guess they remaster it somehow...

Whatever they do it works. WWII in HD was awesome!

6 hours in a Row? Or just 1-2 hours spread out over multiple nights?

Chris...Not sure, but tonight is 2 hours and I think 2 hours each night (Wed and Thur). Maybe 6 hours in a sitting on Friday, Veterans Day. Not sure, check your local listing.

Nothing they show about Viet Nam even in HD is going to make it any better, it was a crap hole. Besides they will not show what it was like because the American people gave up on the military and they are not going to show the truth now. It should stay a forgotten non war. I don't intend to watch reruns that don't show the truth.

They actually had some pretty good raw footage I've never seen. Guys were on their bellies shooting, not standing up like statues.

I knew we were building up troops there at the start, but never knew the reason...with our troops (advisors) being attacked, Johnson had no choice but to send in more troops to protect our guys...then the place went to hell in a hand basket.

In general, the original quality of most film (even old stuff) is much better than Pre-HD television resolution. So what we used to see on TV was dumbed down. Most film was taken to be shown on the "big screen" so the original quality is way good enough for current HD. Improving faded color of older film is the big challenge and is more easily done these days with video software.

I have it on DVR, haven't watched yet.