Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono Montana Gold Bullets

JGH

In a previous topic TheOther Erik had mentioned blacking out the Montana Gold Bullet with a marker when chrono'ing so it would be 'seen' easier by the chrono.

I tried this this weekend and had higher readings for rounds that were blacked out then regular ones. Which way is the most accurate and how will this effect the chrono stage at a match? I doubt you would be allowed to color your bullets at a match before they were chronoed.

Any Ideas?? :blink:

P.S.- I was using a Pact Mk IV from BE.

How much variation are you guys seeing ?

I never noticed this with Golden Sabre bullets, maybe my chrono readings are incorrect.

Any numbers appreciated.

Travis F.

Painting the bullets really only helps reduce erroneus readings, especially noticable with Montana gold bullets. On moderatly sunny days I would fire a 10 shot sting and only maybee 7 would get recorded. The velocitys that did get recorded were all over the place.

from the CED Millennium owners manual...

If the projectile is too bright or shiny, or if a strong reflection is cast off the ground, "glints" can occur. The reflection of light illumintated onto the bottom of the bullet prevents the sensors from reading it. Try using a black marker to paint the shiny surface of bullet black. Also, make sure that the ground under the chrnograph does not cast a strong reflection back up onto the cronograph. Conditions such as snow or water on the ground can cause such a reflection.

Any Match where Greg Lent "Chronoman" is running the chrono will be using the infrared sensors. So whatever gains with painting over a standard chrono won't be realavent.

JGH, How much more velocity were you getting? Even if you were getting a whole bunch more, I woulden't trust a sharpee to squeek me past major.