Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max Traps

I've never seen a Max Trap, I had to look at the picture at the link, but I have already built one. I also made some where the no-shoot goes out to the side and comes back, which I actually like better because you don't get any hits going in at weird angles and making huge holes in the no-shoot. I'm sure somebody is selling those too, I've never looked really. The picture of the Max Trap looks really nice, and kind of complicated compared to mine, but the idea of having a target swing forward or sideways to reveal another target using weights is hardly unique. I'm sure there are hundreds of different versions of the same idea made by shooters all over.

Before it appears that I am climbing up on my moral high horse, my opinion is that if you're a tinkerer/businessman and you want your idea or product not to be copied or stolen, get a patent.

Well.. if it's a million-dollar idea, then maybe the patent is worth it. Otherwise.. not so much. You'll spend more on legal fees trying to defend it than it's worth.

You also can't patent something like "A target that has a no-shoot in front of it that flops down then back up again"-- you can only protect your method and mechanism for the most part. If somebody does it a different way, your patent wouldn't cover it.

Selling your version for less than it's worth for somebody to do a knockoff is probably a better plan most of the time for IPSC gear. How many clubs are there?