Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken 1911 Hammer

EkuJustice

So my hammer decided to break near the end of the match today totally tanking the last stage where it "let go" Here is the pictures of the hammer as it broke in 2 places. Not sure of exact round count on the part but Im guessing a confident sub 2k rounds. No clue why it would have broke like that.

Hammer001.jpg

Hammer002.jpg

Are you sure you weren't "hammering" those targets? :lol:

Sorry about the breakage.

Strange that I was talking to an old shooter and he was telling about the days when they were also tuning the hammers on their 1911's and how that is now a lost art.

could have just been bad peice of metal, when it was made. Call extreme and see if they will replace it! Also look at the beavertail cutout where the hammer goes into the beavertail, see if there is any signs of wear. Sometime the hammers will hit there causing stress on the hammer, and will need to be taken down a little, for clearance.

No sign of it touching. It went out on me the second to last stage of a charity match. Have to old factory trigger parts that work but the thumb safety no longer works on that set. Note to self, have the smith fit a new thumb safety to the old parts when I replace the hammer to have a complete "drop in" trigger that works. Ended up finishing the last stage with a borrowed glock as the other 2 locals(both with Minor SS guns) had alaredy left.

I had the same hammer crack in nearly the same place, but noticed the crack before it broke completely. I had just one crack back near where my thumb would cock the trigger.

My gunsmith has a lot of experience so I would think that it was installed correctly. When I showed him the crack he got out a ziplock bag with 4 cracked hammers that were the same design, most cracked where mine was. Extreme replaced the hammer for free and my gunsmith installed the new one for free (benefits of choosing a custom gunsmith).

My unprofessional opinion is that this particular design does not hold up to the stress involved. I have the older LightSpeed Extreme Engineering hammer on my old open gun and it has never had a problem. That older hammer has 1000's of rounds. I still like the Extreme Engineering parts.

I had the same hammer crack in nearly the same place, but noticed the crack before it broke completely. I had just one crack back near where my thumb would cock the trigger.

My gunsmith has a lot of experience so I would think that it was installed correctly. When I showed him the crack he got out a ziplock bag with 4 cracked hammers that were the same design, most cracked where mine was. Extreme replaced the hammer for free and my gunsmith installed the new one for free (benefits of choosing a custom gunsmith).

My unprofessional opinion is that this particular design does not hold up to the stress involved. I have the older LightSpeed Extreme Engineering hammer on my old open gun and it has never had a problem. That older hammer has 1000's of rounds. I still like the Extreme Engineering parts.

which hammer are you talking about, because there is 2 different styles.

which hammer are you talking about, because there is 2 different styles.

The one I had that cracked, and my gunsmith had many of, was the Extreme Engineering LightSpeed II, like the picture in the first post of this thread. The hammer I had that did not break was the EE LightSpeed (I) which is similar to the picture Chuck posted.

OK so the flat part of the hammer hits the firing pin and firing pin stop.

The little notch on the front where the crack starts? ...[what's that called anyway? -- does it have a name?] What does that hit? Or is that just where the thumb safety catches it? Is it possible that that spot is hitting something a split second before the hammer hits the FP? Because that would account for repetitive stress and maybe cause the failure. Maybe the little notch is cut a little to far forward on this model, allowing contact.

Otherwise I can't think of why it would break there.

Not a gunsmith or engineer but like to think about stuff like this.

Edited by Steve Umansky

I believe the spot you are referring to (the crack on the left in the picture) is the half-cock notch. Mine did not crack there and if I remember right most if not all the hammers my smith had were not cracked there either.

Mine and the others I seen were cracked near the top (right side of the picture), just past the thumb part. Now that you mention hitting something, I have on occasion while cleaning drop the hammer without the slide attached. I know that this is not good for the frame or hammer so it happens only on accident and has only happened maybe 10 times. That may have weakened my hammer causing it to break.