Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cure for 9mm loads shooting right of POA at distance

mizer67

Factory ammo (115 gr Fed American Eagle) in my M&P's shoots straight at any distance.

My reloads shoot straight up to 50 ft, after that they shoot right of POA 2-3" at 25 yards.

Load #1: 4.2 gr TG, 124 MG JHP, Fed case .748", 1.145" OAL, Win Primer, .376" crimp, 1,100 fps

Load #2: 4.7 gr Bullseye, 115 gr Zero FMJ, Fed case .748", 1.130" OAL, CCI primer, .376" crimp, 1,180 fps

Load #3: 6.9 gr HS-6, 115 gr Zero FMJ, Fed case .748", 1.130" OAL, CCI primer, .376" crimp, 1,200 fps

Measurements for the factory Federal ammo are .376" crimp, 1.150" OAL, 4.6 gr of powder (I'm assuming BE), 1,180 fps.

Any idea why my reloads are shooting with a little right english?

I'm using a Redding comp. seating die and Redding crimp die.

Edited by mizer67

Mizer, how large a group are you shooting at 25 yards?

2" to the right is consistent for a few days in different

lighting? (at least three groups)

I'd try 3 - 10 round groups at 30 yards with both ammos

and see if there's still a difference.

If there is, I'd sight it in for whichever ammo I was

going to be using - could be a difference between ammos.

Good luck,

Jack

2-3" right is consistent across loads and shooters. I had a another talented shooter test the TG load, and had the exact same results as my own.

25 yards (max available distance), multiple 10-rd groups (5 each load). Average group size is 4" for the 115's with a circular shaped dispersion, and 5" strung vertically for the 124's with TG.

The one box of Federal 115 American Eagle I shot turned in two 10-round groups under 2.5", and POI = POA, that last 3 weren't very good though, most likely shooter error.

I would just drift the sights and call it good, but when I do that I'm shooting left when shooting under 50 ft.

Edited by mizer67

Since I doubt the bullets are curving 2-3" between 50 and 75 feet I think it is a matter of not noticing the impact point at 50 feet. If you initally zeroed the gun with factory ammo it is not unusual for relods to land somewhere else. It seems as though every time I switch powders for a new load the bullets are somewhere other than where I aimed them. Have you ever noticed in the gun rags when writers are showing off groups that they are seldom near the bullseye or center of the target. What I look for in a new load is; does it make power factor, how much recoil is there and finally how well does it group. If a reload does what you want it to do then move the sights.

There are poeple here who can explain how the speed of the bullet in the barrel and the weight of the bullet that causes it to go other than where you have aimed, it's called point of impact versus point of aim. Some theory says light bullets moving faster shoot lower than a heavy bullet moving slower something about recoil and time in the barrel. This could be what is causing your bullets to go right as your gun probably has a right hand twist. Don't obsess on why learn to adjust your sights or find a reload that equals the factory load.

I doubt the bullets are curving 2-3" between 50 and 75 feet I think it is a matter of not noticing the impact point at 50 feet. If you initally zeroed the gun with factory ammo it is not unusual for relods to land somewhere else.

I'd take a chance on resetting my sights for 25 yards with your reloads

and then testing them at 12 yards - they can't be left more than 1.5",

which isn't much, and I doubt they'll be left at all.

Good luck with it.

Jack

I have to agree with JAck. In Action Pistol we zero at 50y. That way any "error" is reduced by being closer to the taregt. Long range rifle guys do something similar, but obviously not at 25y.

I have had rimfire rifles shoot POA at 50 and drift 1" or 2" at 100. But when sighted at 100Y they are bang (left and right)on at 50y.