Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Thumb Groove grip

KungFuNerd

Ok...

I've got a 2nd gen Glock 17 that feels great to me.

Put Talon Grip covers on it.

I keep a nice high grip.

I just got a 2008 Glock 26 that has finger grooves and the Thumb grooves on it.

Using the thumb grooves moves my grip lower than what I would normally do.

Do you guys ignore the thumb rest and ride above it?

Thank,

KF

Yep, I use a high thumb forward grip just like any other gun and ignore the thumb rest entirely.

Same here, infact my strong hand thumb is on top if my support hand thumb nuckle... don't even come close to using the Glock thumb support. :cheers:

Actually, I did read the rules:

20.3. Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix F4) is permitted, however, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

An aftermarket grip that mods a Gen 4 to have 'the profile' of a Gen 2 doesn't sound like it violates the rules.

An aftermarket grip that mods a Gen 4 to have 'the profile' of a Gen 2 doesn't sound like it violates the rules.

You're modifying the profile of the Gen4.

It doesn't matter that it might be "similar" to another gun made by the company.

Just ignore the thumb grooves.

(BTW, I think they're one of the most useless things on Earth.)

The only time I give any attention to the thumb groove is when I'm swearing at it while remounting grip tape - elastic materials under tension do not want to stick in concave depressions.

Definitely. Super annoying. :angry2:

(BTW, I think they're one of the most useless things on Earth.)

Am I remembering correctly, that maybe the grooves are there because of some handgun import requirement for sporting firearms? Something about having a "target grip"?

Am I remembering correctly, that maybe the grooves are there because of some handgun import requirement for sporting firearms? Something about having a "target grip"?

It's possible. The XD has the same groove and aren't they imported from Croatia?

The M&P doesn't have a demarcated groove like the imports, but it does have a slight thumb indentation, and is made in the USA, right?

Could be on to something with that theory...

I don't think so, since the Glocks were imported for years without the finger grooves or the dished in "thumb rests". I think that Glock sincerely thought - and thinks - these were a product improvement.

I consider myself very lucky that the finger grooves on a Glock fit my hand perfectly. Really, it's eerie, it's like they used my hand for the pattern. Having said that, the Gen-2 grip, sans finger grooves, does feel a lot better to me. In Duane's perfect world the Gen-4 grip, with the smaller grip size and great texturing, would come without finger grooves or thumb rests. It'll never happen, but it would be great - for me, anyway - if it did.

I don't think so, since the Glocks were imported for years without the finger grooves or the dished in "thumb rests". I think that Glock sincerely thought - and thinks - these were a product improvement.

I consider myself very lucky that the finger grooves on a Glock fit my hand perfectly. Really, it's eerie, it's like they used my hand for the pattern. Having said that, the Gen-2 grip, sans finger grooves, does feel a lot better to me. In Duane's perfect world the Gen-4 grip, with the smaller grip size and great texturing, would come without finger grooves or thumb rests. It'll never happen, but it would be great - for me, anyway - if it did.

Gen 5...? :cheers:

Kind of a "if you grip HERE you won't get bitten".

It does provide a repeatable easily trainable index point

Ugh, teach me! While I've never had slide bite (likely as a consequence of the finger grooves), "easily [repeatable] index point" does not describe my relationship with the thing-- during the draw or after mag changes, especially.

• 2 weeks later...