Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sirveyr's Field Notes

sirveyr

I don't normally analyze any of the video that I shoot of myself, but I noticed some things while putting this one together.

Field notes:

While shooting arrays of four targets, I only shot 7 rounds, before moving on to the next position/array. This caused me to go back take the final shot on the last target. This tells me two things: One, I am not calling my shots for shit on the last target. Two, I am thinking about the reload, or the next position, before I have completed the current task at hand.

Being my very first SS match, I am still not very aware of round count. I went to slide lock early in a stage and it forced me to stay at slide lock for the remainder of the stage. The only problem was that my slide wasn't locking back. I am used to limited, where making up a questionable hit is easily absorbed into the stage plan due to 21 rounds in the gun. SS, much like revo, forces me to make every shot count.

I need to keep the gun mounted while moving from position to position. I tend to dismount the gun while moving, even if the distance traveled is quite short.

I spent a lot of time with dry fire reloads leading up to my first attempt at SS. I was fairly happy with most of my reloads in this match. I was really trying to keep the gun up high while performing the reload. It is not as high as I would like, but it has improved.

• 2 weeks later...

This was probably the last match in the area for the 2011 season and it was a beautiful day for it. I had a train wreck of a match complete with PE's, miked head shots and gun malfunctions. I still managed to finish second overall. :blink: Oh well, there is always next year. Edited by sirveyr

• 2 months later...

I experimented with some new springs in my SA 1911 9mm yesterday. I learned that a 15# MS will not set off WSP primers.

I also learned that it is very difficult to cannibalize parts off of your carry gun, mainly the 17# MS, when your fingers are numb and you don't have the proper tools. I am amazed that I found the MS cap after it launched off of the pcnic table and landed in the sand. Really! What are the odds that I would EVER find it? :lol:

The gun now runs great with a 17#MS and an 11#RS.

Edited by sirveyr

I am still getting used to shooting SS. I think I am having some issues with switching back and forth between major and minor PF. Once the S&W IDPA is over, I will focus solely on SS major instead of switching back and forth to ESP minor.

It's kinda funny, I am making my first attempt into SS...

I just figured out that my 15lb MS wouldn't reliably set off Wolf also about a week ago. And I can't remember to reload and count shots for SH**!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I sent 150+/- rounds into the berm today. It is the last day I can get any live fire in before I head to the IDPA Winter Nationals next week.

I have been in a major funk when it has come to shooting lately. As we all know, family and career tend to get in the way of the fun stuff. I have not been able to put the amount of time and effort into my shooting as I should.

Have you ever shot a gun that just doesn't feel right? I have been shooting 1911/2011's for the last few months with decent results, but I just can't get my 9mm 1911 to feel right. It is a 1911 and I've got five other 1911's, so what the hell is the problem? :blink: It has gotten to the point that I am thinking of bailing on the whole 1911 for the Winter Nationals and going back to the Glock 34 for the match. I've done dumber shit, right? No live fire, just a little bit of dry fire and knowing that I can shoot that gun really well. Stay tuned... :lol:

Edited by sirveyr

As per usual, this match was very challenging. I was very disappointed with my performace. I got sloppy a few times and tagged way too many NT's and miked a few heads. I am very glad that I made the last minute equipment change and I am also happy with my flashlight stages. They were one of the bright spots in the match. Get it...bright...ya know...'cuz it's a flashlight. There were lots of tight shots in varied lighting conditions and plenty of NT's. In fact, there was at least one stage that had too many NT's according to the rulebook, but who reads that thing anyway, right? :rolleyes: The vast majority of the match staff was very professional and seemed to have a firm grasp of the rules. There were a few things that helped to reinforce my feelings toward the Indoor Nationals, but this fine forum is not the place to make those known. ;)

Thank you to everyone involved with the match! :cheers:

On a side note, S&W will probably not be selling too many of their Governor revolvers after it's use as a pick-up gun. :lol:

A new trigger was the first thing I ever fit to a 1911. Being a lefty an ambi safety soon followed. That one took a bit more work. I started to feel pretty confident. Thought I might build one from scratch. Then I watched a couple of videos on barrel fitting and decided to leave that type of work to the professionals.

I've been getting the itch to shoot a 1911 again lately. I picked up an Edge from a member here recently and shot my first classifier at Top Gun recently. I really enjoyed it. I may just have to break out the 9mm 1911 for an IDPA match and see how bad you kick my butt :)

As per usual, this match was very challenging. I was very disappointed with my performace. I got sloppy a few times and tagged way too many NT's and miked a few heads. I am very glad that I made the last minute equipment change and I am also happy with my flashlight stages. They were one of the bright spots in the match. Get it...bright...ya know...'cuz it's a flashlight. There were lots of tight shots in varied lighting conditions and plenty of NT's. In fact, there was at least one stage that had too many NT's according to the rulebook, but who reads that thing anyway, right? :rolleyes: The vast majority of the match staff was very professional and seemed to have a firm grasp of the rules. There were a few things that helped to reinforce my feelings toward the Indoor Nationals, but this fine forum is not the place to make those known. ;)

Thank you to everyone involved with the match! :cheers:

On a side note, S&W will probably not be selling too many of their Governor revolvers after it's use as a pick-up gun. :lol:

You didn't have to shoot John Wayne bro...just sayin :roflol:

It's kinda funny, I am making my first attempt into SS...

I just figured out that my 15lb MS wouldn't reliably set off Wolf also about a week ago. And I can't remember to reload and count shots for SH**!!!!

Try a 17lb mainspring. I've been using one for several months and it set off everything I feed the gun.

Perfect weather for the first IDPA match of the season at WCRHA. I had a decent match and my SA 45 ran great. The highlight of my day was on Stage 04 when I engaged a steel activator and pulled off a slide lock reload while "waiting" for the pop up target. I love the disaster factor sometimes.... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect weather for the first IDPA match of the season at WCRHA. I had a decent match and my SA 45 ran great. The highlight of my day was on Stage 04 when I engaged a steel activator and pulled off a slide lock reload while "waiting" for the pop up target. I love the disaster factor sometimes.... :rolleyes:

Kickass reload!!! :surprise:

1. Muzzle....wow, I LOL way bad!!!!!!

2. Do you have to answer when asked "Are you ready?" :surprise:

I don't have a fishing vest so I don't speak IDPA

Looks like you're having fun though!!!!