Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple of questions about older Caspian open gun

enutees

I bought an older Caspian 38 super gun this week. I do not own any 38 super dies or brass etc. Has anyone had any luck converting them to 9mm and getting it to run? I was thinking an STI trubore could possibly be fitted to it. The mags are listed as 38 super/ 9mm but I've know how 9mm open guns can be.

It was just a thought before I invested money in all of the dies and other stuff to reload for it while I already have all the 9mm stuff for my 650.

I bought an older Caspian 38 super gun this week. I do not own any 38 super dies or brass etc. Has anyone had any luck converting them to 9mm and getting it to run? I was thinking an STI trubore could possibly be fitted to it. The mags are listed as 38 super/ 9mm but I've know how 9mm open guns can be.

It was just a thought before I invested money in all of the dies and other stuff to reload for it while I already have all the 9mm stuff for my 650.

I assume the frame is cut for a ramped barrel. Depending on the cut, a ramped Trubore barrel may or may not work.

Bill

Ramped Barrels.pdf

My open 9 major has a Caspian slide and STI frame. Originally a 38 super, converted to 9 major when it was approved by USPSA some 6 years ago. I am using a trubore barrel, Aftec 9 extractor, and SVI mags. Good luck on your conversion.

I just finished a 9mm build with Caspian frame and slide. Standard length mags have been working fine, with either Grams springs/followers or Caspian. Getting a big stick to work has been challenging. All of mine - either Higher Capacity or Anglin - use Grams guts. Only one works consistently with 9. I've read that Caspian mags will only run 9 with Caspian followers because "legs" are needed to avoid having the short rounds dive in the mag and jam up. However, I've had rounds dive - loading to 1.145" - with Caspian or Tanfoglio followers as well as with Grams or the legless Tanfoglios from Arredondo. Again, in standard length mags, getting reliability with 9 is pretty straightforward; getting a reliable Big Stick may be harder.

Edited by Lebayer

I bought some Caspian parts this summer and Gary Smith from Caspian told me the best mags for 9mm are the older ones. Put a pic of your mags in your thread and someone might be able to identify them.

I definitely have the older style magazines with my gun. I finally got to shoot the gun tonight and it ran flawlessly in 38 super comp and 38 super. I left it with my gunsmith though to have a 9mm barrel and comp fitted. Both of the big sticks I got with the gun ran well also. Hopefully it will work just as well in 9mm.

Hey Folks:

Use the old style mags for 9mm ;Caspian sells both styles New and older.

I cut and weld two of them and fit a Dawson pad to them, they hold 28-29 rounds.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

Jim, are the old style shown on Caspian's website? I only see one type offered. Mine look like this. caspianmags.jpgcaspianopengun.jpg

The mags look old but they all worked. The big ones only held 25 in 38 super. How much do you charge for the 170's that you make?

Depending on how long those big sticks are you could mill out the dimples at the bottom of the mag and get an extended base pad from egw. That would probably get you up to 28 rounds. You'd have to check with it a gauge to make sure it was legal, but I was using a weld up mag from Fred Craig that I had modified as I described until I got one of Jim's.

Would you know where I can still find these magazines?

Thanks for being the wealth of information that you guys are!

Caspians had them on close out a few months back, you might check with them

Or put a WTB in the classified here

Hey Folks:

Use the old style mags for 9mm ;Caspian sells both styles New and older.

I cut and weld two of them and fit a Dawson pad to them, they hold 28-29 rounds.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

Jim, are the old style shown on Caspian's website? I only see one type offered. Mine look like this. caspianmags.jpgcaspianopengun.jpg

The mags look old but they all worked. The big ones only held 25 in 38 super. How much do you charge for the 170's that you make?

YES THOSE ARE THE OLDER STYLE MAGS, CASPIAN SELLS BOTH STYLES AS DOES BROWNELL'S.

jIM/pA

sAILOR'S