Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

double door

I was at a tournament the other month and it had a double door like a old western bar and wondering what the best way to go threw it some one messed up and didnt word the stage description right or something and it was classified as a open field and the shooters just walked around the door but with all that said what would be the best way to go threw the door safely without DQ yourself

If it is just a push through door, bust through it. If the doors are activating targets, be careful about swing back. ROing a match and the door came back and knocked the shooters gun out of his holster. DQed the match without ever firing a shot.

Spring loaded return or free swinging? Doors near touching each other in the middle of the doorway? Targets engaged once across the threshold?

If free swinging, I might try going in gun SHO up high and pushing both doors open with the weak hand while moving forward (don't push while standing still and then start moving forward). Step in far enough to avoid getting hit by the backswing, and don't slam them open. Engage after reacquiring the freestyle grip.

If there's a spring loaded return. I might go in on the weak hand side only.

Edited by kevin c

• 3 weeks later...

Well it just seemed like it would be hard to go threw it without knocking the gun out of your hand or breaking any 180 cause they do swing back and how do you push threw the door on the side with the gun

Depending on what kind of gun you are using, be careful not to hit the muzzle of your gun on the door and knock it out of battery. Other than that, I'd just kick it open and run through out. Leave your hands out of it and on your gun.

Kicking the door, that's a good thought.

I wonder though, what costs you more time, reacquiring the grip or recovering your balance and forward momentum? I'm sure the answer is that it depends on the particular set up.

Kicking the door, that's a good thought.

I wonder though, what costs you more time, reacquiring the grip or recovering your balance and forward momentum? I'm sure the answer is that it depends on the particular set up.

I've kicked open a few doors without losing any balance. It all depends on the door and the stage. A little kick on the bottom of the door usually does the trick, unless of course you have to turn a blasted door knob! :angry:

Edited by Severian

Before you cick in a door, make sure it does not open outward. I ended up falling back down the steps of a shotgun house during a drug raid. It was funny afterward, but while I was falling backward wtih a pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other, it was kind of scary. I was a lot yunger then, and if I had taken the time to check I would have discovered the door was unlocked.

I had a double door entry (saloon syle doors) on a stage a couple of months ago. And, the doors did swing back. I put my weak arm up and out so part of my arm near the elbow was pushing one side and my forearm and hand was pushing the other door out. The gun was up high and closer to my face than usual so the gun would not hit either door, and I wasn't sweeping my weak hand and arm with the gun. I hit the door so hard and fast there was no chance of the doors swinging back and hitting me or the gun. Full throttle and just bust through them is the way to go. I practiced it several times in the walk through prior to shooting the stage so there was no hesitation or chance of a DQ.