Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Category winners

mhop

Do the rules not apply to certain categories and not others revolver lady only had 3 people competing in it this year at nationals and they were still given trophies and awards?

2. CategoriesDivision status must be achieved before Categories are recognized.

All level matches A minimum of 5 competitors per Division

Category (see approved list below)

In the second paragraph of Appendix A2:

Unless otherwise specified, USPSA sanctioned matches will recognize Divisions and Categories based on the number of registered competitors who actually compete in the match, based on the following criteria:

I'm guessing that it was "otherwise specified" at Nationals.

I've had a .asp script for some time that does that, reading in a ezws match file. (I want to redo it in .php) It is a match director's awards listing and shows you top 16 competitors, top 8 women, top 8/5 each classes A-GM, and categories, for each division. It's up to the MD to look and see if he has enough competitors in a division/class/whatnot (a separate already-existing ezws report) to determine if he should award a given place or not.

I figured you had something like that, Bill. cheers.gif

It's up to the MD to look and see if he has enough competitors in a division/class/whatnot (a separate already-existing ezws report) to determine if he should award a given place or not.

We know how that can get lost in the shuffle.

I figured you had something like that, Bill. cheers.gif

It's up to the MD to look and see if he has enough competitors in a division/class/whatnot (a separate already-existing ezws report) to determine if he should award a given place or not.

We know how that can get lost in the shuffle.

Well... but it shouldn't get lost, at least not with the MD's I've worked with. It's part of the job description. :)

The only thing with my awards script is that it isn't particularly user-friendly in telling him which match file to go after. In face, it assumes you're a web designer and know enough to go into odbc and figure out your connection name and manually plug that into the connection include file which is part of the website, which also means you have to be running IIS as a web server on your computer.

But really, all my code consists of is a series of SQL queries against the competitors table within the match file. It SHOULD be simple enough to add something like that into EZWS. We just have to get them to WANT to do it. Hell, even WinMSS from that.... "other" organization has an awards listing, at least according to the list of features. We added bar code competitor labels to ezws some years back because we couldn't stomach the idea that someone else's scoring program for their sport already had it and we didn't. No one uses the bar code labels, but there should be SERIOUS motivation to add an awards script into EZWS to match winmess.

I've had a .asp script for some time that does that, reading in a ezws match file.

The EzWinScore data can be accessed via ODBC so it's possible to directly connect to it with a database pull out whats needed and manipulate it to do things like this. I've been doing this and adding to what I can do each month. But I'm using a commercial database program and have 25yrs experience.

Edited by Graham Smith

Well... but it shouldn't get lost, at least not with the MD's I've worked with. It's part of the job description. :)

Well, as a MD...I usually assign that data compilation to the Stats Officer. However, I know there are only a few Stats Officers (and MD's) that are really aware of how this ought to work.

Logistically...there is no easy (EZ?) process in place.

The USPSA website used to post results in what I believe looked like a text file? And that data could be copied and pulled into another program to work with (like Excel). Is that still an option??

Yes, EWS still has text format as an output option.

So...

EZ is a database...

The data is in there...

We just need to tell it what we want.

How hard is it to pull the data into Excel ? (just asking because I know Excel can easily do min/max)

You can export competitor information to a .csv or .tsv file now through the Reports.Export Competitor Information pulldown. Please note that does NOT include actual match results.

You can also get .txt-based results either through the club.txt cmdbutton on Calculate Match Results (which create match results and stage results as one file for each division), or through the 'save text' cmdbutton, which will give you only stage results or only match results for a given division in separate files.

And you can open up the match file directly with ms access and, from the competitor_db table, copy the table into a spreadsheet.

Also (and this is probably your best bet if you don't have access or some other db system), just create the same webfile.txt file that you use to upload results and then copy/paste what you want out of that directly into excel. That's what Linda Chico does to do her awards listings through excel and it is already formatted to use as .csv input.

Right now I think somebody looks at the list and runs their finger down the page.

It would be great if they had software that plugged in all of the parameters and spit out the right stuff.

Maybe somebody here can help with that?

It would have helped this year when several people were given the wrong award.