Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stronglifts 5x5

Herk

Hi all, does anyone else do Stronglifts 5x5 for strength training?:

(NOTE: it won't let me link to the Stronglifts website so I guess you'll just have to google it yourself).

I've been doing it for about a year now and while I've been slacking lately I think that the results have been very positive. It has really helped "injury-proof" me for work etc. I no longer feel sore in the morning after lifting and carrying heavy loads all day. The only thing is that it's strictly a strength training program. I think that if some cardio, flexibility, and/or plyometrics (is that the term?) training were mixed in on the off days then it would be a very well-balanced program.

Anyway, if you need a program to increase your physical strength overall then Stronglifts is worth checking out.

Not sure if it is the exact one I started on, but yes the 5x5 programs are fantastic for starting out strength training. I highly recommend the increasing to max style of training up. Very effective.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i did 5x5 for 2 weeks before i got tired of going to the globogym and ordered my own weights/rack/etc. going to start up again (in addition to 5-6 days of crossfit per week) once i find a good bench.

5x5 plus 5 to 6 days of CF per week will be too much. Recovery will suffer. (This depends partly on what you mean by CF too, since nowadays it can mean just about anything.)

5x5 plus 5 to 6 days of CF per week will be too much. Recovery will suffer. (This depends partly on what you mean by CF too, since nowadays it can mean just about anything.)

He's going to a group class at a local box, IIRC - I agree w/ Leozinho, Spanky... Be real careful about recovery. If you're doing a hard metcon 5-6 days a week, you're already pushing it. Adding serious strength training on top of that could lead to over training in a big hurry. Make sure you still feel motivated to work out, and that you're not staying sore between workouts (well, overly sore), still getting good sleep, etc. If any of that changes, you really, REALLY need to back off before you end up in a bad spot (trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience, here...) :)

I'm currently doing an Intermediate level training program ala Starting Strength (basically, still doing a novice program for upper body, but doing Texas Method with a DE day for squats and deads...) One metcon a week thrown in for good measure ;)

i have no doubt it can be taxing.

Spanky,

I don't blame you for being unconvinced. I wouldn't necessarily believe a random guy on the internet either, which is why I hope you'll post your proposed plan to do 5x5 program with 6 days a week of CF on board.crossfit.com. I'll wager you won't get a single positive response to your plan. Folks there have experimented with CF for a while now and know what doesn't work.

If you want to do metcons and get stronger, consider the programs that are specifically designed to mix metcons and strength, like CFFB (CF Football) or, to a lesser extent, a 5/3/1 program with its various conditioning plans.

No use wasting time or beating up your body by repeating what others have already figured out doesn't work.

Edited by Leozinho

• 1 month later...

Don't do a 5x5 and crossfit. You are going to overtrain yourself on all counts and not make any progress.

Crossfit is hard. It is a jack of all trades and master of none program. You push yourself, and if you are after some weight loss and overall conditioning, then it isn't bad. Even with crossfit only, you have to watch how hard you go as it puts a beating on your body. Personally I don't always even think it is good training to supplement a given sport, as depending on how taxing the chosen sport is, crossfit can take too much out of a person.

5x5 is great for building strength. It has worked great for me. It is taxing but not overly so. A key component of it is letting your body recover and ensuring that you do not overtrain. If you overtrain while doing the 5x5 you will likely lose strength.

Just my take FWIW. I've made many mistakes working out before and I am finally starting to get it right..

• 6 months later...

I've been crossfiting since 2008 (at points where I felt good I was doing 2 WODs a day from the main site and my local box), along with participating in other sports and a physically demanding job (most of the time that is). It is easy not to listen to your body and keep pushing; however, if you do listen to your body and take a rest day you should be fine.

That being said, I don't pretend to know anyone elses physical limitations as far as recovery ect... So as long as you rest when your body needs it and are already in good physical shape then I think you're good to go. But remember this is my experience and opinion (which that and 5 bucks will get you a gallon of gas).

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I've been using the 5X5 Stronglifts for about a year now. I've lost 34 lbs. and I squat 320#, bench #265, and dead lift #400. When you lift and minimize the time between sets you get the benefits of a cardio workout. I swear by it. It is power lifter routine as opposed to a bodybuilder routine. I swear by it.

• 4 weeks later...

I did pure 5x5 last year for six months then went to heavy power cycles with squat frequency at reduced levels. I took my dead lift up 80 lbs to 500. Squat went to 385 to 450. Bench. 295 to 325. I did add in more back and arm exercises then the 5x5 has listed.

Robert