Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 setup w/undersized die

I found a couple of posts regarding using an undersized sizing die on a 1050, but would like to understand my options and the benefits of each. Because I was getting rounds that wouldn't case gauge on my 550 I installed the EGW undersized die and the problem mostly went away. So my gut tells me that I should have one on my 1050...

Other than leaving it out on the 1050 it looks like I can replace the regular sizing die with the undersized one or install it in the next station.

I am curious about how those with undersized dies on their 1050s have them setup.

My 1050 is setup for 38 Super...

Thanks,

Allen

Mine is in the first (normal) position but I load 9mm so I like the swage function. With 38 you're not going to run into crimped brass so you could use it in the second hole. I do that on my Hornady, run a regular Lee in hole and the U die in the second.

Mine is in the first (normal) position but I load 9mm so I like the swage function. With 38 you're not going to run into crimped brass so you could use it in the second hole. I do that on my Hornady, run a regular Lee in hole and the U die in the second.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will give the 2- step resizing a try...

Just curious, Is there any advantage to resizing twice?

Cheers,

Allen

Pretty much what he said other than most if not all normal dies have a larger bevel so bent cases will enter the regular die easier and if there's some buldging toward the bottom, which seems to be quite frequent with 38 brass, there's less chance of shaving the brass if you two step the resizing.

The only issue with going to Station 2 on the 1050 with the U-Die is that the die in the top of Station 2 is also the Expander, in addition to being the backup rod for the primer pocket swager.

If you do this, you'd need to replace the Powder Activator in Station 4 (Powder Drop station) with one of the old Expander/Powder Funnel units like the 550 and 650 use. (The Activator is not an expander in the traditional sense. It is a very sharply angled cone and will expand the casemouth too rapidly if you try to use it as one...).

The needed Powder Funnel/Expander is the "F" funnel and is Dillon Part Number 13806.

The only issue with going to Station 2 on the 1050 with the U-Die is that the die in the top of Station 2 is also the Expander, in addition to being the backup rod for the primer pocket swager.

If you do this, you'd need to replace the Powder Activator in Station 4 (Powder Drop station) with one of the old Expander/Powder Funnel units like the 550 and 650 use. (The Activator is not an expander in the traditional sense. It is a very sharply angled cone and will expand the casemouth too rapidly if you try to use it as one...).

The needed Powder Funnel/Expander is the "F" funnel and is Dillon Part Number 13806.

Thanks for this info... I didn't realize that although I did notice the powder activator looked different.

I think I will end up with the U-die in station 1 because sometimes I get a piece of brass (on my 550) that is noticably not going to pass the case gauge. If the U-die is in station 2 the case will move to the priming station where it looks difficult to remove easily. If I leave station 2 for swaging I can remove the case before it hits the primer stage if I notice it is "mushroomed"...

I hope to get around to actually finishing the setup on the press this weekend... I have enough ammo made for the next few weeks so there isn't any major rush at this point.

Cheers,

Allen