Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR-556 Rebarrel

Tokarev

Back in late June or early July, I sent Marvin Pitts my Ruger SR-556E upper with the idea of shaving some weight off the gun. I like Ruger's "E" variant very much and think it's one of the better values in piston guns on the current market. The new smooth forend is thin and comfortable and feels much better than the traditional quad rail used on previous models.

While the new smooth forend takes some weight off when compared to previous models, the gun is still fairly heavy as shipped. My initial plan was to have Marvin re-profile the factory barrel to reduce weight but we later decided to replace the factory barrel with a stainless steel 1x8 twist.

Well, the upper is finally back and it looks fantastic. I should've taken weight measurements before I sent the upper off to give an exact measurement of the weight shaved off. Using Ruger's website as a guide I see that the Ruger SR-556E, as shipped, is listed with a weight of 7.36 pounds. The gun now weighs 7.12 pounds. That's with Troy BUIS, VLTOR pistol grip, PWS muzzle brake and VLTOR A5 buffer tube and buffer in place. Weight without the Troy sights is 6.92 pounds. I'd guess that going back to the standard buffer tube and plain carbine buffer would reduce weight by three or four ounces.

I ran 240 rounds of ammo through the gun this afternoon with zero issues. I ran 30 rounds of WOLF, and 90 rounds of Silver Bear through the gun and all 120 rounds fed, fired and extracted without issue.

I'm very pleased with the work Marvin did and wouldn't hesitate for a second to use him again. His machining is perfect with no signs of tool marks or imperfections.

The gun looks great and feels much more balanced. Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll be able to get the sights and Aimpoint dialed in properly. I'll shoot the gun with everything from 55gr ball to Barnes 70gr TSX so get an idea of what the 1x8 twist will do for accuracy.

The gun as I originally configured it:

P1010713.jpg

Views of the old and new barrel assembly:

DSC05391.jpg

DSC05426.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

And the completed project!

Just over eight pounds with a full mag of M193:

P1020706.jpg

The dimpled stainless steel barrel:

P1020714.jpg

P1020707.jpg

It's difficult to see but the the barrel's been turned to .625" under the handguard:

P1020712.jpg

P1020723.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

The gun shoots fairly well but maybe not quite as good as it did with the factory barrel. There could be any number of reasons for this or it could have just been shooter error. I'll have to make sure I get out and get some additional groups fired.

Anyway, here's five rounds of Hornady 75gr Steel Match using my Leupold FireDot set on four power:

P1020733.jpg

And five rounds of 75gr TAP:

P1020734.jpg

The gun shoots fairly well but maybe not quite as good as it did with the factory barrel. There could be any number of reasons for this or it could have just been shooter error. I'll have to make sure I get out and get some additional groups fired.

Anyway, here's five rounds of Hornady 75gr Steel Match using my Leupold FireDot set on four power:

P1020733.jpg

And five rounds of 75gr TAP:

P1020734.jpg

100 yards?

Both groups were fired from 100 yards off the bench. The day was fairly calm with occasional wind gusts.

I like the FireDot scope for most stuff but haven't found it very good when used on a conventional bullseye target.

I'll have to play with this rifle further, no doubt.

Edited by Tokarev

• 1 month later...

That barrel looks great. What kind of accuracy r u getting with the XM193?

I need to really sit down with the rifle and try a variety of stuff in it. Most of the shooting I've done with it since I got it back has been blasting away at 25 yards and in.

I'll see what I can do over the next few days if the weather warms up a little.

• 5 months later...

Over the course of the year since I've had the Ruger re-barreled, I've come to believe that the new barrel is easily copper fouled. When the barrel is spanking clean, the rifle shoots pretty well but after fifty or sixty rounds accuracy can drop off significantly. I've seen my groups go from a little over an inch to three or four inches (or more, in some cases) in just a short time. Cleaning the barrel with copper solvents will return the rifle to an accurate state but it is short lived.

I recently contacted Marvin with my observations and he said he's had some similar issues with the Wilson Arms barrel blanks he's been using. He says the Wilson blanks are usually pretty darned good but he's had a couple rough barrels from them as of late. Marvin was very apologetic and said he's happy to re-barrel the Ruger a second time using a chrome moly barrel blank.

Marvin's got the upper again now and I'm confident he'll make it right. I'm looking forward to getting the upper back!

What did the barrel cost? how much weight does ball fluting save?

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I think we shaved about 12 ounces off the rifle with the reprofiled barrel. It was enough to completely change the feel of the gun and shift the balance point back towards the mag well. Weight of the rifle without accessories dropped to something like 6.9 pounds.

I don't want to give you a price quote since this project dates back now nearly a year and I don't know if Marvin has changed his prices. With that said, I wasn't charged an unfair amount and have been completely satisfied with the work and with Marvin's communication and level of customer service. Please drop him an email for current prices and build times.

Marvin's Email

Does Marvin check his email often? I sent one two days ago about barrel work and no reply so far.

I've never had any real issues with getting replies.

Marvin's full-time job is with Wilson Combat and I know he's been busy with his employment there and with his own projects. Maybe he's just not had a chance to respond yet.

• 1 month later...

An update from Marvin. He's got the replacement stainless barrel out and is working on machining the 2nd replacement barrel to match the style/profile I want.

This new barrel is a chrome moly hammer forged blank. Once it has been machined to final shape Marvin's going to send it out for salt bath nitriding for longevity and corrosion resistance.

DSC05825.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've had the upper back for several weeks but, unfortunately, haven't had time to really get things dialed in. About all I have been able to do is shoot a couple rounds at a rock on the hillside.

The new barrel looks the same (same profile under the handguard and same dimple pattern) but is black phosphate rather than matte stainless.

On another note; I have installed a VLTOR extra heavy buffer. On the small gas setting, the dot hardly moves in recoil.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

i know this is an old thread, but i also run a sr556sc and that barrel looks great. and this gives me some ideas to reduce weight. any updated pictures with the new barrel on there?

Edited by Thecelt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
What kind of price range are you looking at for that barrel swap?

Best bet would be to contact Marvin for current pricing.

He works for Wilson Combat during the week but you're probably better off sending him an email.

nefariousarms@live.com

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4

Anyway, I recently picked up another 556E and am kind of toying with the idea of having a 5.45 barrel fitted. Since Ruger uses a unique gas port location I'd need to find an unturned blank. I'm not having much luck with places like Green Mountain.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 4

• 4 months later...