Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR-556 Rebarrel

Tokarev

Did Marvin end up being able to shave some weight off of the handguard? Just curious as to where/how if he did!

We talked about shaving the bottom block off the bottom of the handguard from in front of the two Allen screws to the end of the gas block but decided the weight saving wouldn't really justify the effort.

I haven't been looking around but I'm wondering if there's something from Geissele, Troy, BCM, etc that might possibly be made to fit. I think the kicker here is finding something that can accept the piston transfer rod.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Ruger has a recall on those guns. You might want to check to see if your gun needs to go back.

The recall is on the VT series not on the entire 556 line. It pertains to the disconnector in the VT's 2stage trigger.

Ruger will send a new disconnector to those who are comfortable with changing it out and who don't want to go through the hassle of boxing the rifle, etc for shipment.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I'm curious did you ever have any luck finding a new hand guard for the Ruger SR 556E? And I also want to say Thank You! For posting all of this helpful information I also have the rifle and was curious on ways to lighten it up so coming across all this was really helpful. I really think the dimples on that stainless steel barrel is such a nice touch. Is there a reason why you didn't treat that dimpled barrel with the salt bath for longevity.

I'm curious did you ever have any luck finding a new hand guard for the Ruger SR 556E? And I also want to say Thank You! For posting all of this helpful information I also have the rifle and was curious on ways to lighten it up so coming across all this was really helpful. I really think the dimples on that stainless steel barrel is such a nice touch. Is there a reason why you didn't treat that dimpled barrel with the salt bath for longevity.

I never did. I contacted Ruger and they said they couldn't sell just a handguard.

No, because it would have to clear the piston system, as well as fit the proprietary rail. You could probably drill something to work and match up, but for as much work as it is, I'd sell and build! They're a great gun, you just have to like the rail or are pretty much out of luck!

Just wanted to share a little something that I found out the other day. This guy took his Troy industry rail guards and basically drilled and tapped a couple hole in it, screwed it right on the rail he said it was way more comfortable way to have it. I guess he just use some of the screws from the old picatinny rails that he had purchased in a bundle and just hadn't put a couple on. so I'm not exactly what screw he would have used but I thought it would be a pretty cool option if someone wanted rail covers and still have it slim down.