Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp rear sight on 85 combat

wanderer

have an 85 combat that i want to put czcustoms comp or tactical rears sights on.

i know the 75b sight will fit but will leave a large gap under the sight due to the combat having the slide cut for the factory lpa adjustables, so was wondering if anyone has installed the comp/tact sight for the shadow on a combat.

the shadow sight is longer and i think it sits lower and want to know if it will work.

if any one has any pics showing a closeup of the sight/slide relationship or either sight it would be good to know what i can expect before i order either one.

Are you sure that the slide has an extra cut for the LPA adjustables? I was under the impression that it uses the same sight as fitted on a Kadet kit and that sight fits in a standard CZ dovetail.

But if you send an email to CZcustom they know for sure what will fit and what doesn't.

yeap, on the 85 combat the slide is definatly cut under the sight. it is the same as the kadet.

post-17486-0-58534800-1319105803_thumb.j

called cz custom, advised 75b sight as they have not tried the shadow one on the combat. but as the 75b slide has rib going all the way to the back of the slide, it will leave a big gap under the sight, which i would like to avoid.

hence the question, has anyone put the shadow comp sight on an 85 combat

i know the shadow comp sight is longer, but how far out the rear of the slide does it sit. i hope it will fit ok, and hide the gap.

Edited by wanderer

All three - Shadow rear sight, Competition and Tactical - will leave gap between bottom of the sight and Combat slide. There is no ifs or buts about that. Then, there is a pretty good chance Competition rear sight will fail (break) after several thou thru the gun; it happened to a few people and more than once to some.

Personally, I like Tactical sight the most, sight picture and speed of second (third and so on) sight picture and accuracy seem to be much better with Tact sight for me. I'm comparing Shadow sight to Tactical sight, have both on my guns and shot at least 2K rds with each setup. YMMV.

Also, thou Combat and Kadet use same rear sight, it doesn't necessarily mean rear dove cut is same. Kadet has 6.5mm tall front sight while Combat has 5.5mm tall front sight. I sold both - Combat and Kadet and cannot take measurements for you. But, I think the cuts in slide are a little different.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for -- but should give you an idea of how it might look on your 85.

This is a SPO1 Tactical with a Shadow rear sight. You can see the overhang off the back of the slide. Not a big deal on a decocker as you do not have to manually lower the hammer. It may be an issue for you if you shoot your 85 in Production or SSP where the overall amount of space to control the hammer as you lower it by hand is reduced.

Also had to have some material removed from the bottom of the rear sight, behind the dovetail to fit over the rib and clear the hammer.

I use the 5.5 mm tall F/O front for a Shadow on this set up.

Best,

post-5485-0-48706700-1319289910_thumb.jp

Rear sight in pic ^^ is NOT Shadow sight, it's Competition sight. Shadow sight is narrower and doesn't go as far back to interfere with hammer.

You are correct... it is a Competition Sight...

However, it is the Competition sight intended for a Shadow. (part #53B from CZ Custom)

The package also indicates that "it may fit some CZ75 with Hammer Modification." Or as in my case with modification to the sight.

The Comp sight for a 75B rear -- i.e., a regular SP01-- is both taller and shorter in length. It does not hang as much over the hammer. Also usually gets mated with a 6mm, or more commonly, a 6.5mm front site.

Edited by Wideload

thanks wideload, that helps a lot.

the shadow slide has the dove tail cut in the middle of the cocking serrations so the whole sight sits further forward, as the dove tale on my combat is in a similar place toward the rear of the serrations as your sp01 it will hang over just as much.

i think it just might be too far back for me.

i have foud someone with a shadow factory sight, going to look at it next week and if it's a bit shorter will see what it looks like otherwise, ceezer, based on your comments , i will go with the tact sight for the 75b and put up with the gap under the sight.

does anyone have a photo of the 75b comp/tact sight on the combat?

Edited by wanderer

It shoots much more accurately that my Shadow thou, oh, may be it's just me :D :D

The only thing - I wish I could take FPB out and still be legal in IDPA of IPSC/USPSA. Tried it both ways.. forkgh - I could not believe how GOOD the gun was without FPB!!! And, that's after I spent my sweet time tuning the gun (with FPB in place).

My average splits with Shadow are poor 0.18, it was sub 0.10 with SA minus FPB!!! And I love that Tact rear sight either way!!

FWIW, I've had both the CZC comp and tactical rears and far and away prefer the take-off factoryShadow rears to either of them... the notch is A LOT deeper which works better for my eyes and is closer to a Warren/Sevigny's rear notch depth/width ratio (which I'm used to on Glocks), than just being a slightly opened-up a little wider Bo-Mar notch (which is how the CZC rear sights are).

YMMV as to what would look better to you here of course... but the Shadow sight wouldn't hang off at all and would work great on a 85C.

Edited by ck1

YMMV as to what would look better to you here of course... but the Shadow sight wouldn't hang off at all and would work great on a 85C.

thats what i'm hoping, but then any of them will be better than the white dot very shallow notch of the factory adjustable.