Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diagnosing early unlocking in an M&P 9mm FS

mizer67

I normally like a sight picture where the top of my front sight blade is the POA/POI. However, during a class this week, I've been having to drive to the dot at 5 yards, and will still hit 2" low of my intended POI. No big deal as I assumed it was just that we were at short range.

However, the frustrating part is, using my standard hold at 25 yards, with a 124 Gr MG JHP at 1,100 -1,115 fps, I will be 6" high and 2" right. As I drift the sight to correct for 25 yard groups shifted right, I start shooting a little left up close.

I had the class instructor, a much better shooter than I, confirm my results, his groups were ~4-5" and high right in roughly the same location as mine. All shots (4 groups of 5 total) were fired from rollover prone.

It would seem to me that the gun is unlocking early, but are there any other logical explainations for what I'm experiencing?

• 8 months later...

I too am curious about the unlocking issue. Im fairly new to handguns. My accuracy with my m&p 9 fs is decent but somewhat inconsistent at times. When i rest my wrists on a bench and very slowly and carefully shoot at 25 yds i get nice 3 - 4" groups (acceptable imho) but atleast 1 or 2 flyers per 17 shots, sometimes more.

Its hard to tell if its me or not. I hate to be one of those guys who thinks everything is the guns fault but if theres a problem i want to fix it. I want the only accuracy issue to be me and not my gun.

As for my POI, its exactly what i want. Right behind the dot to 5yds...top of the post to 10 yds...above the sight to 25 or 30yds....then slowly back down. In this config it means youll be "close enough" well beyond 30 yds which i personally love.

For the record i mainly shoot 115gr federal. Worth noting that i shot 50rds of LAX reloads and was extremely accurate and consistent.

Edited by Sheperd80

I can't imagine that early unlocking can actually exist. Assuming your M&P has a 4.25" barrel, and your bullet is in fact traveling at 1100 fps, that bullet is actually out of the barrel and on its way to the target in less than .00035 seconds. That's 3 and a half "10-thousandths" of a second. I doubt that the gun is able to react to the recoil pulse and unlock in that little bit of time. I agree that it is shooting off it's point of aim, but I just can't see how early unlocking could be the culprit. You may need to try a higher front sight to bring point of impact down to point of aim, while drifting rear sight to the left the appropriate amount to correct the windage error.

Originally, my M&P was printing 4" @ 25 yards. Recently, I started missing steel, so I benched it. 8" high and 10" groups @ 25. Aftermarket barrel, back to POA and 3" groups.

I have shot a number of different pistols over the years, and the pistols with the better triggers I have always been able to shoot better groups with compared to the ones that didnt have as good a trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless the flyers are high it seems unlikely that the problem is early unlock. Remember, the barrel pointsup at unlock.

All of my flyers are high with the stock barrel. :surprise:

I've run both a KKM and a SL now. Both are more accurate, both have a lower POI as compared to stock.