Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal barrel diameter for 3-gun?

RAZZ

Let's say you have a 16.5" middy laying around, and you want to do some 3-gun. The barrel is a very heavy 1 inch from chamber to gas port, and .720 to the muzzle. I want to get it turned down to take some of the weight out of it. What diameter would you recommend getting it turned down to? I'm planning on .700 for the full length, unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Thanks.

Paying to have the barrel turned will cost more than just selling what you have and buying what you want. Personally, I'd stick with the 16" HB you have - I doubt you will notice the weight reduction in the handling, and the weight will dampen recoil and reduce the effect of heat on accuracy. IMHO many folks on this site have an unhealthy obsession with light weight rifles... 3-gun anorexia nervosa :roflol:

You just want to make sure that the gas block you use fits the diameter on the gas port, and that it will clamp or slide on as the case may be. Barrel "whip" won't be an issue with a 16" as long as you stay above .650 or so.

It's an HK MR556, so 'getting one in the diameter I want' isn't an option. They only make one size, and no one else makes a barrel for it. It comes from the factory as a 9+ lb carbine-size AR, which is a little obese. Sure, I could do a few more pushups, but I think I can get away with taking a considerable amount of weight out of the barrel without compromising accuracy. We'll see what Adco says.