Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being a Moron!!

bomgrene

I can be dense about some things (I'm sure my wife would say "most things") but normally I'm very good and careful about reloading. Apparently, I suffered a rectal-cranial inversion in my last run as I had 6 (YES 6 !!!!)  squib loads from that batch! Does anybody have a smart stick available for loan so I can beat myself about the head?

No smart stick available but I do have a box marked "pull" that has a couple of hundred .45acp loads in it.  I stand up and stare down into the cases while reloading now.  Maybe while I am looking intently at the cases someone will sneak up behind me with that smart stick.

-ld

Best I can figure, this was total human error. I had a few primers that didn't seat right, getting out of rhythm, and ended up doing 1/2 steps to clear the plate and skipped right past the powder drop a couple of times.  The nasty part about it was that a few of the squibs actually made it down the barrel far enough so that the next round chambered. Glad I was paying attention.

This might sound a little strange or anal, but I buy primers in boxes of 1000, I load about 2 matches worth from the box just to make sure they work, then I vacuum-seal the rest to load for major matches.  But I don't buy primers and keep them sealed for 5 years, I'm only talking about a month or so, but the weather here is hot one day, cold the next, humid then next.  

Shot a 3 stage IDPA match last night, no problems.  Buddy in the next bay was shooting Bill Drills, so I joined him.  Had 8 leftovers in the mag.  Shot my BD, then decided to dump the last two in the head box.  First shot squib.......Thnak you Lord, for not letting that happen while I was Bill Drillin'......

Just recently I figured out how I had two squibs in my 9x23 loads. Usually I have problems with the primer bar not wanting to keep the primer upright and seat it. While I was carefully making sure my primers seated properly, I didn't notice for a couple of rounds that the powder bar guide came loose. As a result, two squibs got through. What a bummer. Will try not to do that again.

Liota