Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Tuned Mag question

Alan Adamson

I've got a full set of SVI mags for 9Major that run 100%, but they are a little over a year old on the springs that are in them.

They are SVI tubes, Bolen bases, and Grams springs

The 170 is a 3mm base with 13 coil spring, the 140's are 4mm bases with 11 coil springs.

I think I'd like to change the springs in the offseason. Will that effect the tuning? Or can I just replace the springs, put them back together, load a full load of dummy rounds and let them set overnight... and be done with it.

Any help appreciated?

(watch, I'm sure I'll get the - oh, just send them to me, I'll fix them right up and send them back - not!... lol)

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Alan

It depends, if the gun is running fine don't mess with anything. if the springs feel considerably weaker than the others than you may want to consider a change, but i would just keep an eye on it. The cheapest way is to just replace the spring. Which is what I would do since I have put work into tuneing my followers. ie: sanded, rounded some areas etc., and the followers are mag specific. I have had my spring and follower assemblies in my limited gun for 4yrs, with out changing them out. So a year sounds a little early, but then again open guns are a little more finicky than limited guns.

Alan

It depends, if the gun is running fine don't mess with anything. if the springs feel considerably weaker than the others than you may want to consider a change, but i would just keep an eye on it. The cheapest way is to just replace the spring. Which is what I would do since I have put work into tuneing my followers. ie: sanded, rounded some areas etc., and the followers are mag specific. I have had my spring and follower assemblies in my limited gun for 4yrs, with out changing them out. So a year sounds a little early, but then again open guns are a little more finicky than limited guns.

Sean, seems you always come to my rescue... :)..

Thanks - from a fellow Rudy team member... Ya, I suppose I should take my #4 140mm mag and see how it compares in both felt pressure while in the mag and unsprung length to my other 140's (seeing as it never gets used)... I've never ran the 13 coils in the 140's... Always the 11's and had good luck. I'm not having any problems today and I never leave rounds in the mags after a match, only all the time during. I would only consider changing the springs, the followers are in great shape and yes are all tuned for no lock back, etc.

I just didn't know if a spring change may blow the tuning on a mag.. I would hope not, but you never know, this all seems like black art to me... this mag stuff... :)

Thanks again,

Alan

I have the same question. I'm headed toward 2 years on my springs and I thinking it might be time to change them. Just springs because the followers are tuned to each mag.

I followed the advice that if they are working leave them alone. All the mags run perfectly. All I do is stretch the springs about 1 1/2" before every match and make sure the follower is tipped up at about 45 deg angle. That seems to keep the going.

If the followers were modified for your mag and you change out both, it could affect your tuning. If you are just replacing the spring, you should be fine. For my Open mags, especially 170's, I would change those once a year unless you never really use them or only shoot one or two matches a year. For my Limited mags, I usually go a few years between changes and they all seem to be fine. It also depends on the springs you use too, some last longer than others.

Magazines for my Open gun get new springs each year. I try to change springs in just one magazine at a time, shoot it for a few matches to make sure there are not problems. Then change out the spring for the next magazine. Old spring is marked for that magazine and stored for future use if ever needed.

On STI and SVI magazines, no problems so far. ParaOrdnance magazines, whole new story.

Bill