Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie from Kentucky

gtldvm

Hello All.

I'm just getting started. Historically my personality leans towards addiction to any endeavor to master it. Examples, SCCA Solo and ProSolo racing...top 5 driver in the country right now in a 2008 Z06 Corvette, and when I was a younger man I earned my 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

Suffice it to say my wife is not happy at the prospects of me delving into another competitive sport, but she has come mostly to terms with what makes me tick. Today is my birthday...49. Am I too old to get started in this sport? Is there a senior division? :)

Anyway, a couple of great guys I've met are sucking me in to USPSA and steel matches. I'm acquiring the necessary hardware and practicing a bunch. I think I'm going to have to lose a little more weight and strengthen my core a bit, but I'm looking forward to introductory classes in the Spring or whenever I can get one in, and then start USPSA competition next Spring.

Anything you can help me with will always be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Welcome,

Historically my personality leans towards addiction to any endeavor to master it.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Never try 3 gun!

David E.

Originally from Louisville, Atherton HS class of 78.

Like most our age, I used to be a gear head.

Welcome to the sport. Where In KY were you from? There are planty of competitions around the state to get into

I live in Union...just south of Florence.

Once I get started I'm sure I'll be getting around to a bunch of them. I'm not giving up my racing, so I'll have to squeeze USPSA matches in between races. At least I won't have to travel as far for shooting! I put 18,000 miles on my truck this year towing my race rig.

Welcome,

Historically my personality leans towards addiction to any endeavor to master it.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Never try 3 gun!

David E.

Originally from Louisville, Atherton HS class of 78.

Like most our age, I used to be a gear head.

You velly, velly funny man! How'd you guess? I wanted to get better at pistols for awhile and get used to the format of competition before I try 3-gun. I have a Benelli M2 and an Armalite AR-10. I just got the Armalite last Friday...birthday present to myself. I haven't fired it yet, but hope to this weekend. I also picked up the Eotech 552 HWS and need to site it in.

Welcome to the sport. There's a lot of opportunity for local matches. BGSL 1st sunday with steel match on 2nd saturday's. Silver Creek Conservation USPSA match on the 2nd Sunday. Miami Rifle/Pistol on 3rd Sunday. Gun Warehouse also has a 3rd Sunday indoor match. Owensboro, as mentioned before.

Good outlet for local training PM Steel1212 on this board.

Welcome to the sport. There's a lot of opportunity for local matches. BGSL 1st sunday with steel match on 2nd saturday's. Silver Creek Conservation USPSA match on the 2nd Sunday. Miami Rifle/Pistol on 3rd Sunday. Gun Warehouse also has a 3rd Sunday indoor match. Owensboro, as mentioned before.

Good outlet for local training PM Steel1212 on this board.

Correction Miami Rifle & Pistol Club is on the 4th Sunday.

gtldvm, welcome to the board and welcome to the addiction.

Edited by adively

Do you need pit crew help. I have a 6y/o who is crazy about racing. Where you race, around here? Do you Solo on tracks only?

Welcome btw. This sunday is the 3rd sunday too...

I'm running to Georgia this weekend to see my dad. He's recovering from brain surgery after a hemorrhagic stroke. So this weekend is out for anything.

I have a local race in Cincinnati on 10/23, and then a big National event at the Speedway in Nashville 10/29-30. Bad news is you have to be 12 yo to be anywhere near the race cars during the race. Doesn't mean he can't watch.

If you want to see some of my youtube videos of my races look up "gtldvm" on youtube.

Greg,

I accept no responsibility for your actions! I'm not sure your wife is in agreement with that though. I tend to get 'the look' When she sees me now!

:roflol:

I know. She's not mad...she just wants to mess with you. She knows I have an addictive personality and doesn't want to share me with another "distraction". Help me get her out to shoot a gun (Martha can help here) and it'll all be good. Problem is she doesn't have a competitive bone in her body, so we'll never get her to compete. But maybe she'll "get it".

Ah yes, the cone mine field. I used to do that with a couple of Mustangs, but on a lower hobby level.

Took my son to an event at the UK stadium when he was a baby. I wanted to strap him in shotgun but the car seat didn't pass tech. LOL

Welcome! I think we need pics of said Z06 :D

post-34914-0-57099600-1318559431_thumb.j

Just what we need another cheby lover <_<

JUST KIDDING!!!! :roflol:

Welcome! There is plenty to do around your part. MRPC is near you. I run a couple matches down south a little bit if you want to travel on down. I'm all the state Section Coordinator so if you have any questions feel free to give me a buzz!

Very nice! I applaud you for using that Vette "as intended". The Z06 is on my list of things to own...When I hit the lottery.

Don't start that hate in here Mustang boy!

JUST KIDDING!!!! :roflol:

Welcome! There is plenty to do around your part. MRPC is near you. I run a couple matches down south a little bit if you want to travel on down. I'm all the state Section Coordinator so if you have any questions feel free to give me a buzz!

How far south? Getting ideas where to go. My friend here "E K" I know will drag me around I'm sure.

Welcome to the sport. Where In KY were you from? There are planty of competitions around the state to get into

I live in Union...just south of Florence.

Once I get started I'm sure I'll be getting around to a bunch of them. I'm not giving up my racing, so I'll have to squeeze USPSA matches in between races. At least I won't have to travel as far for shooting! I put 18,000 miles on my truck this year towing my race rig.

You've got a lot of USPSA options. The Dayton and Batavia matches are close, the Ohio/NKY folks can chime in there. In the Lexington area, the 1st Sunday is the BGSL match. In the Louisville area, 2nd Sunday is the Silver Creek match. The 3rd Sunday is an indoor match at The Gun Warehouse, you can run 2 different divisions if you choose.

I'm not as keyed into the IDPA matches, but I shoot the Silver Creek match on the 1st Saturday if time and funds permit.

Of course, coming into the winter months, most shooting will calm down a bit. Most clubs try and keep their matches going. Sure, shooting in the rain and snow is practical, but so is eating beans and cornbread by a nice fire. :D

Between shooting, my darts league, and my music it's a busy week. Oh right, and work. How could I forget work? :unsure:

Welcome aboard..! Sounds like you got yer head screwed on right about it

and I'm sure you'll likely accel @ this sport.. Yes, there is Seniors, and..

Even us chubby guys w/ loose cores have fun with it..!! :cheers:

LOve the Avatar....not at all distracting...uh....what were we talking about?

Yes, I know I'll have a blast. I'm hoping it will give me the drive to improve my physical state.