Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 shopping

stryfox

Why a single stack? Real Gamer Guns have widebody frames ;)

I have a widebody gun for ESP

I am looking for a new CDP gun.

CDP must be single stack, bushing, .45

I am looking into some of your suggestions.

I am considering the Les Bear Concept V

Thanks

In CDP you are aloud to use a Double Stack. See the quote below out of the rulebook.

CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL division is intended to offer a place in competition for shooters using the "practical" custom 1911 style .45 single stack pistols, while still allowing shooters using the various hi-capacity pistols such as the Para-Ordnance, STI/SVI and Glock 20/21 to compete on equal ground. There are many out-of-the-box 1911 style pistols that can be used competitively in this division with little or no custom work.

I have a widebody gun for ESP

I am looking for a new CDP gun.

CDP must be single stack, bushing, .45

Since when does a CDP pistol have to be a single stack?

Para-Ordnance P14.45, P13.45, and P12.45 are all acceptable in CDP, although you can only load 8+1 rounds. An STI widebody with a bushing barrel would be fine too.

In CDP you are aloud to use a Double Stack. See the quote below out of the rulebook.

CUSTOM DEFENSIVE PISTOL division is intended to offer a place in competition for shooters using the "practical" custom 1911 style .45 single stack pistols, while still allowing shooters using the various hi-capacity pistols such as the Para-Ordnance, STI/SVI and Glock 20/21 to compete on equal ground. There are many out-of-the-box 1911 style pistols that can be used competitively in this division with little or no custom work.

Once again I have learned valuable info here!!!!!

Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

I may have to rethink my CDP gun.

I have a Nowlin and it is an excellent gun.

Single stack .45acp

adjustable rear dash dot dash night sights

ambi's

S&A magwell

front strap checkered

blued and hard chromed frame

Have over 7000 rounds, never, not once has it malfunctioned with any ammo

ball, hollow point, 230gr tunacated, 200 gr lead swc and it will put five rounds under 2 inches at 25 yards with any ammo, Wolf, PMC, S&B.....

Well under $2k out the door,

But for $2k I would be checking out the SA Pro Model, had one and wish I never got rid out it (I was made a very good offer $$$)

I use a Springfield TRP in .45 in CDP and wouldn't trade it for anything.

To date the second best gun I've ever owned.

The best ever? A Springfield single stack .45 from years ago that I retired when I got my TRP. That old one has over 70,000 rounds on it, runs like a clock, and the slide to frame is better than most new custom guns. David Williams does incredible work!

JB

Is David Williams the guy who runs the shop at Springfield?

Hmmm... I wonder ... if someone, I dunno, somebody, say, from this forum who knows the people at Springfield really well ... might, I dunno ... give them a call and talk to them about my 9mm gun that won't shoot for crap ... and maybe, sort of, grease the wheels and see what they can do about it without costing me a lot of $$$ beyond what I've already put into it ...

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the Wilson KZ45.

It's the fastest reloading gun I've got. Straight shot to the mag release (ie no curve on the grip), and a magwell that puts just about anything short of an open gun to shame.

I like my single stack 1911, but the KZ is perfect for CDP or Limited 10. Just swap in a tungsten guide rod for IPSC and out again for CDP. The only downsideis that it's fairly light. Makes for fast acquisitions, but it is light.

On the plus side, the slim profile makes it more carryable then an STI ---

Later,

Guess I will have to put a plug in for Kimber also. I have had six of them. I like the CST model. I see no reason to hard chrome these guns. I guess I have never understood the need to spend over $800 on a 1911. All of my Kimbers would group under 1 1/2" at 25 yds. Two of them would go under 1" @ 25 yd.

I worked on four of my friend's 1911s. He had two Les Baers and two Kimbers. Each gun had at least 20,000 rounds through it. There was no more wear on the Kimbers than the LBs. Those dreaded MIM parts were holding up just as well as the forged LB parts.

Kimber is the only production gun that has a positive barrel to slide lockup that I have seen. None of the other production 1911s (SA, Sig, S&W) offer this. We do need to remain sober about accuracy issues in IDPA and IPSC. The targets we shoot are huge. We are not trying to hit a tiny bullseye at 50 yds. All of the above mentioned guns are more than accurate enough for these two games.

A Nowlin to your specs would be hard to beat. I have two of their guns and both shoot better than I can. Ransom rest groups @ 25 yds. are one ragged hole. Granted both are in 38 super. The Caspian route is also good, the L 10 40 s&w I have is very dear to me built by Copeland Custom in Ark City, Ks.

Just get a basic Springfield or Kimber and fix it up the way you want it.

This started out as a Springfield "Mil-spec", it was my limited gun in the 1990's

025982.jpg

I ended up parting the gun out for an SVI and regreted it later. When I deceided to get another single stack, I kept my eye open for a clean used Kimber or Springfield.

I found this one for $500.

Fixed sight basic blued Kimber CustomClassic.

Customized with:

Bo-Mar Lo-mounted sight, KART barrel, Edbrown ambi safety, S&A magwell, Wilson trigger STI sear, CMC extreme grip safety, Brazos front sight, hand checkered by Me 20lpi. Industrial hard chromed by METALIFE.

025972.jpg

With the price of the new WWII springfields, about $420, I'm thinking about buiding one up again.

Rhino, positive lockup is when the bottom barrel lugs ride up over the slide release pin and the upper barrel lug is pushed up into contact with the slide lug. When done properly there is no vertical movement. Correct bushing diameter and barrel hood fit are also important.

I do not shoot factory ammo. I did once shoot some Atlanta Arms 230 gr ball reloaded ammo just to see how it grouped. Much to my surprise it grouped about 1" at 25 yds. I think the indoor range in Atlanta my still have that target on the wall. It probably sold a few Kimbers for them.

Just think for the price of a LB one can have two Kimbers.

Rhino, positive lockup is when the bottom barrel lugs ride up over the slide release pin and the upper barrel lug is pushed up into contact with the slide lug. When done properly there is no vertical movement.

Okay, I was just unclear on your chosen terminology. I would call the same thing "properly fit."

Lemme toss in my $0.02 worth for a SIG--if you can find one.

At this point every one that goes out the door has been vetted by Matt Maclearn, and I've seen them for $850 on the shelf. The rail is a pain in the butt, holsterwise...

mb

Rhino,

That is also what gunsmiths call a "hard fit" and it ins't somehting that just happens due to close tolerancing in the maufacturing process. You do not get a hard fit by telling a CNC machine "take the slop out."

You can come close, real close, but any production gun will have some play. The only way to have every gun "hard fit" is to have someone at the end of the line use a mill, surface grinder or both fitting slightly oversized barrels to each slide and frame set that come along. That costs.

Oh, and by the way, (slight thread drift here) our club re-graded the paths to the ranges. You can haul a 3-gun cart onto or up to every one of them. No Chinooks or snatch straps.

If Springfield sends you that old barrel back, I'd be real curious to look inside it. I just got a Gradient Lens borescope. (Between than and the 50" TV I'm never leaving the house.) Who knows what we might see in there? I've seen some really scary stuff so far. Once I get the camera attachment worked out I can post photos.

Oh, and on the question of a 1911, my vote is still for a Nowlin.

Oh, and by the way, (slight thread drift here) our club re-graded the paths to the ranges. You can haul a 3-gun cart onto or up to every one of them. No Chinooks or snatch straps.

DRIFT ALERT!

Okay ... that takes care of the gear.

Now, how do we get ME around the place?

"Warning Will robinson, Thread Drift, thread drift"

You walk. There will be a grand total of one set of stairs you'll have to negotiate. Everywhere else you'll find a gentle grade, one a toddler could manage.

Back to the original question, were I not simply buying a Nowlin, I'd get a base Springfield or Kimber and build it over time as checkbook and need required.

Patrick, you are correct about the true hard fit. It took me a little while to figure out how Kimber manages to get a tight fit. The lower barrel lugs are made on a slight taper. This kind of wedges the barrel up into the slide. Cheap approach but it appears to work. When I would look at the top barrel lug recess I could see a contact mark. I used some machinest blue to see the contact point. The amount of contact varied from gun to gun, but they all had some contact.

You will not see this contact on a SA, Sig or Colt.