Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Compact 10mm

CAMPMEAT

I'll get right to the point. I bought a brand new EAA 10mm Compact for bears. I bought Hornady 200 grain XTPs for it. The gun jammed (stovepiped)all the time. Sent it to EAA in Florida for warrenty. It came back worse. They said it fired with no jams and 2 boxes of rn shot through it, plus a box of Hornady. I told them I don't use rn and sent it back again. They sent it back after a month and a half with a new mag. Well, the new mag jams still with the Hornadys, but not as bad. The other mag jams all the time. I hate to say this, but, they must not know what they are doing. The gun is worthless and dangerous as it sits right now. My gunsmith won't touch it and said to get my money back. Pleass, can anybody help me as I cannot afford to keep sending this gun back and forth. I could of bought a gun that shot the way it should for the money I've spent on this gun. I also contacted Tanfoglio about the safety issue, seems they don't care as they have never tried helping out with this problem. The customer service is horrible at EAA in Florida. I hate to post something like this for my first post, but I'm pretty PO'd about the runaround I'm getting from EAA.

Thanx,

Campmeat

I think the main problem is that they haven't made compact mags with the new design. You should look up a thread that CHA-LEE wrote about "tuning" your mags.

What recoil spring do you have? Those 200gr rounds don't have a lot of energy, so its possible you are short stroking (but this would be the first time I've heard of a 10mm short stroking). Are these reloads or factory ammo?

What safety issue are you talking about?

I'll get right to the point. I bought a brand new EAA 10mm Compact for bears. I bought Hornady 200 grain XTPs for it. The gun jammed (stovepiped)all the time. Sent it to EAA in Florida for warrenty. It came back worse. They said it fired with no jams and 2 boxes of rn shot through it, plus a box of Hornady. I told them I don't use rn and sent it back again. They sent it back after a month and a half with a new mag. Well, the new mag jams still with the Hornadys, but not as bad. The other mag jams all the time. I hate to say this, but, they must not know what they are doing. The gun is worthless and dangerous as it sits right now. My gunsmith won't touch it and said to get my money back. Pleass, can anybody help me as I cannot afford to keep sending this gun back and forth. I could of bought a gun that shot the way it should for the money I've spent on this gun. I also contacted Tanfoglio about the safety issue, seems they don't care as they have never tried helping out with this problem. The customer service is horrible at EAA in Florida. I hate to post something like this for my first post, but I'm pretty PO'd about the runaround I'm getting from EAA.

Thanx,

Campmeat

Nealio,

Thanks for the response. Everything in the gun is factory. The ammo is store bought Hornady. Here's a better description of what the ammo is doing. The ammo is jamming up against the " lip" of the feed ramp. It appears to be about the lower 1/3 of the bullet only. I've never shot rn through it. I've only had this gun in my possesion for maybe 4 days total since June 2011 when I bought it. It's been in for warrenty the rest of the time. Do you need more info ? I was gonna have in throated and polished if that would help.

Nealio,

Thanks for the response. Everything in the gun is factory. The ammo is store bought Hornady. Here's a better description of what the ammo is doing. The ammo is jamming up against the " lip" of the feed ramp. It appears to be about the lower 1/3 of the bullet only. I've never shot rn through it. I've only had this gun in my possesion for maybe 4 days total since June 2011 when I bought it. It's been in for warrenty the rest of the time. Do you need more info ? I was gonna have in throated and polished if that would help.

I think we need to figure out the problem before you send it anywhere (for warranty or for work). How many rounds did you fire (or attempt to fire) before you sent it back? What kind of lube are you using? How many rounds would you say you've ran through the gun?

I've only shot RNFP's and Hornaday 155gr XTP's through mine, and I had some misfeeds here an there with the old style mags. The new K10 mag seemed to perform flawlessly. Do your mags have a rib on the sides, or are they smooth?

38881.jpg

OR

416807.jpg

Thanx,

Campmeat

Nealio,

I've tried shooting 12 rounds and it failed from the get go. In for warrenty for the samething. You can't shoot it. As for the lube, I used Hoppe's #9 on it to clean all the factory crap off of it. Both of the mags are like the top one in you pictures. But, one works alot better than the other one. Hmmmm ? They sent me an extra mag for whatever reason with no explanation. The guy that told me to get rid of it is an Amorer (sp) for the Border Patrol here. He said it's the mags as well. If it is, then why hasn't Tanfoglio corrected the problem is my question, or even EAA in Florida.

Thanx,

Campmeat

Nealio,

I've tried shooting 12 rounds and it failed from the get go. In for warrenty for the samething. You can't shoot it. As for the lube, I used Hoppe's #9 on it to clean all the factory crap off of it. Both of the mags are like the top one in you pictures. But, one works alot better than the other one. Hmmmm ? They sent me an extra mag for whatever reason with no explanation. The guy that told me to get rid of it is an Amorer (sp) for the Border Patrol here. He said it's the mags as well. If it is, then why hasn't Tanfoglio corrected the problem is my question, or even EAA in Florida.

I'm confused.

If you used Hoppe's #9 to clean the gun, that is just a solvent, and not a lubricant. Once the solvent evaporates, it'll leave most of your gun dry and you'll need to lubricate. Did you mean to say you used Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil?

In your original post, you said you are getting a stovepipe malfunction, but in your succeeding post it sounds like you are getting a failure to feed. Are you getting both types of malfunctions? Does the gun also malfunction when you load only 1 bullet in the magazine? How about 2? 3? 5? 10? Full magazine?

What is the safety issue that you mentioned in your original post?

I used Hoppes #9 to get the thick oil, whatever that stuff is that EAA slops all over the gun. Then I used regular gun oil to lube it. As for the stovepiping/jamming. Loaded mag w/10 rounds, rack the slide, shoot, ejects casing and jams on ramp. Drop mag, clear it, load mag w/9 rounds leftover, shoot 1-2 times. Repeat. The new mag will shoot 4-5 then does the samething as described.

As for the safety thing, it feel it's a safety issue because of the unknown. This gun, in my opinion, has malfunctioned from the get go and EAA can't/won't fix it for whatever reason, I don't know. I did alot of research on this gun before I bought it and they were highly praised. After I got it, shot it and talked to a few Border Patrol Agents I know, they said they had the same type of problems with the 10mm and it was very unreliable. They got rid of theirs.

The new K10 mags are for large frame guns only. They work great in my Hunter but that's a Custom Large Frame gun.

Eaa's run-around come from the fact that they will not admit there are no 10mm new style Mec-Gar/Tangfolio mags for Compact guns. They think that there red follower mags don't work right out of the box.

The new K10 mags are for large frame guns only. They work great in my Hunter but that's a Custom Large Frame gun.

Eaa's run-around come from the fact that they will not admit there are no 10mm new style Mec-Gar/Tangfolio mags for Compact guns. They think that there red follower mags don't work right out of the box.

You'd think they would try and keep customers happy wouldn't you. I'll never buy another one. I could of bought a Glock for the money and time I've put into this gun. Hopefully one of the guys on here will help out as best as possible to make it run alot better than it does now. I'm not impressed with Tanfoglio or EAA Florida. EAA Florida is a joke and I told them so. Live and learn.

You'd think they would try and keep customers happy wouldn't you. I'll never buy another one. I could of bought a Glock for the money and time I've put into this gun. Hopefully one of the guys on here will help out as best as possible to make it run alot better than it does now. I'm not impressed with Tanfoglio or EAA Florida. EAA Florida is a joke and I told them so. Live and learn.

IT's not Eaa's fault the Tangfolio factory has not supplied them with the correct mag. Write the factory in Italy, they will respond.

You might have to go to a 180gr bullet. All the guys at DoubleTap ammo shoot 10mm, they could help.

Talk with CHA-LEE on this forum. He can give you enough info to get your red follower mags running by this weekend. This is the quickest way to make your problem go away.

Please hang in, that's a good gun you bought.

The new style full size mags will work in your gun, it'll just stick out the bottom. I actually run the old style 15 round 10mm mags in my .40 Limited and have had no issues. I load my .40 at 1.19in. with 180gr.TC Bayou Bullets.

You should make sure the feed lips are within spec (the measurements are in a thread on here, somewhere), the compact 10mm probably needs a heavier recoil spring,too.

I've contacted Tanfoglio in Italy. They gave me the same runaround as EAA in Florida. EAA aslo put a new " BLUE " slide on my wonder finish gun with no explaination. They didn't even tell what they did to it for warrenty work. I'll keep pluggin' away I guess.

The only way I can get the old style (Red Follower) magazines to work is to undersize the whole brass case to .415 before I reload it. Then punch the feed lip width down to .385. This feeds perfectly in my .40 EAA Limited gun. I am running an OAL of 1.225 which isn't to much shorter than factory 10mm ammo.

If you are running factory 10mm ammo, my solution to get the old style magazines to work will not work.

CAMPMEAT,

If pivoproseem say it will work and just stick out the bottom, i'd go that route. You will have to get it fromm EAA. Get one and try it and mail the other two back to swap out for two k10's. I use a 20lb spring in my Hunter, Wollfe.

If you REALLY wanted a functional K10 Mec-Gar mag to fit your Compact you could give the mag to a gunsmith and he could cut it to the correct length and rebend the bottom rails so the base pad would go back on. Or have it stick out and reap the benefit of the extra rounds along with functioning solidly.

If you REALLY wanted a functional K10 Mec-Gar mag to fit your Compact you could give the mag to a gunsmith and he could cut it to the correct length and rebend the bottom rails so the base pad would go back on. Or have it stick out and reap the benefit of the extra rounds along with functioning solidly.

Thanks for the response. My gunsmith will not touch it with a ten foot pole. Is there anything else, or just live with a nonfunctioning gun ? Sad to put it that way, but I don't know what to do.

Campmeat> There is more than one Gunsmith in this world. Find another gunsmith that is willing to work on your mags. Another option that has already been presented is to use the full size K10 10mm mags and just live with it sticking out the bottom. Or simply send the gun back and get your money back.

Well guys, thanks for all the responses. I live out in the middle of nowhere, so finding another gunsmith won't work. I don't want my mag to stick out to make it shoot, it's a concealed gun. I've told the dealer, EAA and Tanfoglio I wanted my money back. Well you know they all blamed each other or the ammo. To me in all honesty, I will never, ever recommend an EAA to anyone. I figured that this is a huge issue with the compacts that Tanfoglio should fix the problem or stop selling the gun, plain and simple, until fixed. I shouldn't have to spend more money on a gun that is faulty from the factory that won't properly function. I don't reload so that's not an option. Every Border Patrol Agent I know that has had an EAA got rid of it for the same reasons. You don't know if the gun will go off or not if your life depends on it. I'm gonna sell it and buy a Glock, which I should of in the first place. Live and learn. All you guys take care, be safe.

Campmeat

I have had several compact style pistols in .45 and .40 and some are ammo sensitive. Try a different/lower weight bullet or different style nose. Also with every gun especially compacts I have had to polish the feed ramp. It is a very short and tight area and it needs to be super slick. I also had one pistol with a slight ding in the entrance to the chamber right above the feed ramp that came form the factory. Cleaned it up and the gun worked flawless. Take the barrel out and spend some time polishing the ramp and try it again, if not then go to a lighter bullet weight. My Kimber .45 compact carry would never shoot 230gr ammo HP reliably but would shoot any kind of 180 gr that I put through it.

I have had several compact style pistols in .45 and .40 and some are ammo sensitive. Try a different/lower weight bullet or different style nose. Also with every gun especially compacts I have had to polish the feed ramp. It is a very short and tight area and it needs to be super slick. I also had one pistol with a slight ding in the entrance to the chamber right above the feed ramp that came form the factory. Cleaned it up and the gun worked flawless. Take the barrel out and spend some time polishing the ramp and try it again, if not then go to a lighter bullet weight. My Kimber .45 compact carry would never shoot 230gr ammo HP reliably but would shoot any kind of 180 gr that I put through it.

I just ordered the Wolf 20 # spring. I don't do gunsmithing, but had thought about throat and polish it. I'll find one to do that, can I do it myself ?