Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell Sorting

Alan Adamson

While I have one of those sets of *shell sorters*... I found an much simpler way to sort out the 38S/SC/TJ 9x21, 9x18, 380, etc from 9mm.

Take a 100 round plastic flip case for .40 caliber... pour a bunch of *sorted down to the black tray set* brass into the plastic box, shake it around a bit until all 100 holes are filled. Now pick out the odd sized stuff. If you are looking for the 9x18 (makarov(sp)) stuff, take a small wood board and place on top of the 9mm shells... hold it tight and then rattle the sandwich, if anything moves, you have 9x18 or 380's that you've still missed.

It's very simple to do and very effective.

Credit where credit due.... Found this out from a fellow shooting partner.... Morphire who's also on these board.

Alan

Funny this just came up...I just ordered the .380 shellplate yesterday since last week while loading about 700 rounds, I had about 20 show up and really ruin my mojo. If the .380 plate for the shell sorter doesn't work out, I'll give this a try. Thanks for passing it on Alan!!

Funny this just came up...I just ordered the .380 shellplate yesterday since last week while loading about 700 rounds, I had about 20 show up and really ruin my mojo. If the .380 plate for the shell sorter doesn't work out, I'll give this a try. Thanks for passing it on Alan!!

My issue with the .380 plate, and I have one, is that you can only put a few cases in the .45/.380 sorter. This because the 9mm cases will plug the slots, and then you'll miss a bunch of .380 cases... The trick with the .40 plastic flip box is just brain dead easy, I just dump from my black sorter (the 9mm one) into the 40 box, and just shake it back and forth and move cases to the open holes, they just fall in, almost always web first.... Then it's really easy to see what is *long*, short and especially those makarov cases are a little harder hence the board trick... 9x19 vs. 9x18 can a bit hard to distinguish... The .380's are really easy and you can just pick those out, then dump the real 9's into your sorted bucket.... *WAY* faster than the .380 plate version...

YMMV,

Alan

I found another excellent idea via this method... I *hate* S&B brass, Well, lucky for us they all have glued in primers and red glue. So you fill a box of 9mm (the blue dillon boxes worked just great for this)... 90% of them will be web down then you tilt the box on it's side, but not enough to let them all fall out... you can read the headstamp through the bottom of the box and you take a loaded round of 9mm with a RN head and you just pick the S&B's out... I did a bucket of 5000 or so in 30 mins probably... way easier than hand sorting them...

What is a "flip box"?

And Alan, I'll take the S&B brass if you get enough to bother shipping. :cheers:

Sorry, I should have been more specific... a "flip box" is just those plastic 100 round boxes with a flip up lid... The ones that you can see through work well for the last dual purpose that I posted... any .40 box will do the sorting function...

hehe and we'll see how much I actually end up with... was more than I thought after sorting a large quantity last night

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

What is a "flip box"?

And Alan, I'll take the S&B brass if you get enough to bother shipping. :cheers:

Sorry, I should have been more specific... a "flip box" is just those plastic 100 round boxes with a flip up lid... The ones that you can see through work well for the last dual purpose that I posted... any .40 box will do the sorting function...

hehe and we'll see how much I actually end up with... was more than I thought after sorting a large quantity last night

Alan

Like an ammo box.... gottcha!

Just PM me here or my email is posted on the yahoo group and I'll cover the shipping no problem! Thanks! Ryan

I can't justify spending more money on shell sorters. I pick up the brass before I shoot and keep that separate from my own factory or reloads. I get home and pour it all out on a white towel and first go over it with a magnet and then cull any odd stuff or obvious calibers I don't shoot and toss them in the recycle bin. I then lay out a row in my hand and do a quick roll back and forth to check for defects and then look at the headstamps and I sort from there. What I am left with after sorting is good brass so I don't waste my time and resources tumbling bad brass. It's not that slow and I find it to be very efficient in economy of motion. I go thru it one time, place it in the appropriate bin and it is labeled and easy to keep track of as I process it down the road. YMMV!!