Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bench stability and the 1050

So I got a call to trouble shoot a guys 1050, specificly crushed and missing primers.

I found a few things he could do to smooth up the process. He had Henning size die that was sucking primers back in, causing chaos at the swager and a cascade of fail. We addressed those issues,

One thing I noticed was his bench was fairly light and not fastened to the floor or wall, nor was it likely to be in the future. I suggested re-enforcing the top and loading it up with all the weight it could take to reduce shaking.

Anyone else experience movement induced problems with a 1050??

Anyone else experience movement induced problems with a 1050??

Yes. I had a table bolted to the wall that still shook and had regular primer feed issues. Stacking about 60 lbs of bullets on the table next to it helped quite a bit. I had a steel stand built just for the 1050 that absolutely does not shake and now I don't have any problems.

My RL1050 is bolted to a 24"x12" .5" think aluminum plate, which is bolted to a 1" particle board desk, which is bolted to the wall. The table shakes away from the wall a little here and there depending on if you hit a hard stroke or something. I haven't had the press very long, (about 7K rounds), but have had only a few crushed primers due to having the white shell holder out of adjustment. Zero sideways/upsidedown/nofeed issues.

This is how you do it.

2 in square x 1/8 thick tubular steel legs.

Table top is 7ga steel framed out with 3x3x1/4 angle iron.

Bottom shelf is 7ga plate on a 3" channel iron frame.

Legs are leveled by 1" jack bolts and then the table top is attached to the wall with 3/8 lag bolts.

post-6467-0-00127500-1317699878_thumb.jp

I had primer issues until I built a rock solid bench. Mine has a .250" steel plate top supported by 2X2" angle legs with cross bracing all around the base. I was going to anchor it to the floor, but at this point, there is no need. I have very few primer issues these days.