Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Sevigny's SA Custom 1911 upgrades/

Xander

From Dave's page.

"The pistol is a custom Springfield 1911-A1, .45 ACP. Square trigger guard w light-rail dustcover, short/flat trigger, ambi-safety, Schuemann barrel, TGO Tech Well, Mil-Tac G10 diamond grips, Warren Tactical Series-Sevigny Competition sight, over size mag release and Ion Bond DLC finish. The magazines are 8 rnd. Tripp Cobra. I've been running 230 gr. FMJ at approx. 170 P.F. from Atlanta Arms and Ammo."

Can someone explain the point behind the square trigger guard?

Back in the early days of USPSA some shooters used a grip with the offhand index finger wrapped around the front of the trigger guard, so custom gunsmiths started squaring the trigger guards to facilitate this type of hold. Almost no one uses this hold now, but the squared trigger guard is still around because it looks cool! It's kind of like an appendix, it's there, but no one knows why! :roflol:

Edited by 392heminut

The square trigger guard allows more room for the trigger finger to move and provides a more positive placement for the weak hand index finger on the bottom of the trigger guard. When I do the square trigger guard I like to move the front leg forward 1/4" to 3/8". There are those who dislike them even though they are shooting S_I framed guns which are squared on the outside but left rounded on the inside. The STG's do work in most holsters made today, there are a few that they won't. The forward finger on the front isn't used by many today and those who do it don't promote its use.

Rich

The STG has become my signature mark on a custom 1911.

post-1700-0-92933000-1317337880_thumb.gi

post-1700-0-93342500-1317337990_thumb.gi

post-1700-0-94921900-1317338145_thumb.gi

Edited by RIIID

For some the squared trigger guard on a custom 1911 has nothing to do with an extreme forward finger wrapped around the front of it. Some are built to the customers specs wanting the bottom of the guard to either slope downward a degree or two, and some possibly less. This will assist in either the gun indexing up or down (pending on design)when the support hand engages it.