Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125gr bayou bullet: is this about right?

johniac7078

Hey guys: Just ordered some Bayou Bullets, 125gr. I want to load to make PF for IDPA using a M&P full size. I want to double check myself before I have at it. Based on my manuals, I am thinking that 4.2gr W231, OAL 1.1, mixed brass, WSP should get me some where around a PF of 128-130. Anyone have any suggestions. I want to use up the W231 I have, but am willing to try something new powder wise. Also, this is the first time I am using coated bullets, so anything I should know? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys: Just ordered some Bayou Bullets, 125gr. I want to load to make PF for IDPA using a M&P full size. I want to double check myself before I have at it. Based on my manuals, I am thinking that 4.2gr W231, OAL 1.1, mixed brass, WSP should get me some where around a PF of 128-130. Anyone have any suggestions. I want to use up the W231 I have, but am willing to try something new powder wise. Also, this is the first time I am using coated bullets, so anything I should know? Thanks in advance.

Here is all my load data on Bayou bullets 125 and 135gr bullets with different powders and guns. Hope this helps you.

Bayou Bullet.pdf

Edited by Darrell

Here is all my load data on Bayou bullets 125 and 135gr bullets with different powders and guns. Hope this helps you.

How Awesome is that!!! Thank you very much!!!

Great data, Darrell. That took some time & effort!

I just got a batch of the 125s, too. I started with 4.1 gr. of TG at 1.090 COL. I didn't chrono them but the grouping was horrible with some keyholes. I backed off to 4.0 gr. and 1.125" and they were better. Looking at Darrell's data, I think I'll drop another 0.1 gr and make them a little longer. Other than that, I've had very little smoke with the TG and the bore (stock Glock) is staying very clean. They do have a funny smell, though. Kind of like a cutoff wheel for an angle grinder.

• 4 weeks later...

Tested some 125's with 3.8 of tight group. 1.150 OAL, Win primers mixed brass. 10 shot group benched at 15 yds gave me a 1.29" group with my EAA Limited. This is an awesome group for these bullets, probably the most accurate test so far. Makes 130PF

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

seen this post and wanted to add to it my findings chronoed .

firearm is CZ SP01 shadow

using SnS coated LRN bullets , 4.1 grns W231 , OAL 1.125 gave a PF133

didnt leave the barrel dirty and not "smokey" ..both obviously my perception

Edited by usmc90

Update for these bullets, I ran some test an different OAL for the 125 RN and 125 FP's The best OAL for the Roundnose is 1.130, and the Flatpoints were 1.070. This was tested in 3 different 9mm's, Accu-Shadow, EAA Limited, and DW PM9 with Kart Barrel. All these barrels have different throats and it didn't matter. I used my Ransom rest for the DW and Accu-Shadow, and benched the EAA. Crimp for these were tested also, from .355 to .380, and I found .379 works best for lead and coated bullet, and .3785 was best on Jacketed. If you are seeking accuracy and not power factor, 3.5 of Bullseye, or 3.5 of N310 worked out best. I'll have some new data posted soon from the new Accu-shadow testing Factory and Bayou bullets. They claim a 50% improvement in accuracy at 50 yds, but the best I've gotten so far is 30%.

Darrell - great info, Thanks.

I intend to shoot some single stack minor or possibly L10minor with a PM9 or tanfo with some of the same powders you tested, so for me this is a timely reselection of an old thread! :cheers: