Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time will RO's shoot on Sat?

That depends on at least a couple of factors, Mike..the weather for starters and, how much help we get with setup on Friday. If we still need to do a good bit of stage setup Saturday morning, we won't start as early as we would like. That said, the best I can do is give you an estimate of the start time for the staff shoot which I'm hoping will be around 1000-1030. If we get all the stages setup on Friday with the exception of setting out the steel, all we'll have to do on Saturday is a reasonably short SO meeting around 0930 then staple up targets and shoot. Hope that's helpful and at this point, it's the best guess I can give you.

If we are shooting 2 guns can we shoot with the RO's?

Yes, for anyone who signs up to shoot two rifles, they may come and shoot either one (but not both,) with the staff on Saturday so they will only have to shoot the second rifle on Sunday. However, I want to qualify that by saying anyone who chooses to take advantage of this accommodation, must be at the range and ready to go before the staff starts shooting. That means you will need to arrive early enough to have time to fill out an application and your score sheets before the shooters' meeting. All the staff members will want to get done as early as possible on Saturday so we can get a good night's rest and for that reason, we simply can't delay the start of the staff shoot any more than it may be delayed by weather or other factors.

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a good question, and we want to try and accommodate our match customers any way we can.

Hope to see you this weekend..

Another question came up this week and it concerned tumbling rounds in paper targets so here is what we have decided for the match..

Any bullet hole that is more than 1.5 times the diameter of the round used will be counted as a miss. This is consistent with other shooting disciplines and is addressed in USPSA rule 9.5.5 and in section C16 of the IDPA Rules. Please check your ammo, comp, or anything else that might affect your rifle's ability to stabilize the bullet to avoid any problems.

Dear Sensei you may have shot the world over but, the rule we quoted is USPSA 9.5.5 not 9.5.2. 9.5.5 says "Enlarged holes in paper targets which exceed the competitor’s bullet diameter will not count for score or penalty unless there is visible evidence within the remnants of the hole (e.g. a grease mark or a “crown”etc.), to eliminate a presumption that the hole was caused by a ricochet or splatter"

our purpose in quoting was to reaffirm that we are not alone on our counting oversize bullet holes as misses. We also quoted IDPA (I know bad word) for the same purpose. We are doing this to eliminate any hurt feelings when someone shoots through something else, or the bullet doesn't stabilize or anything else that will cause a sideways bullet strike on a paper target. This removes the necessity for the R. O. to try and recreate what happened to cause it. If it is sideways it’s a miss.

Look forward to see you and Jerry M this weekend.

Oh! what happened with the film crew last weekend?

Guys, that rule addresses holes made by splatter, like rocks or pieces of prop that a bullet may have passed through, NOT tumbling bullets! If a bullet hits sideways, it is still obviously a BULLET HOLE! and counts for score in USPSA matches unless it can be shown to have made a full diameter bullet hole in an impenetrable object, like hard cover.

So if round passes thru scoring target hits no shoot as tumbling bullet. It won't score as no shoot? If it can't count for score then it shouldn't for penalty.. Just saying not sure if it would happen but in case it comes up. Just thought I would stir things up a little.

See you there Sat morning.

Mike

Well the weather forecasts for Sunday are still looking good :roflol: Sunny Mid 60's

Check the links

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Corpus+Christi&state=TX&site=CRP&lat=27.8&lon=-97.396

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/78413:4:US

http://www.kristv.com/weather/

Might be a little soggy for setup but Match day is lookin good.

JG/Fireman: Glad you guys are psyched for the match, we are as well. And just to be on the safe side weather-wise, we spent a good part of the day at the range setting out stands and other props in case the main set up is delayed tomorrow. We also got two of the seven stages completely done so we're ahead of the power curve. See you guys on Sunday.

Rick: Again, thanks for the weather links..

Mr P: Sorry the race was sold out but we're glad you've decided to come shoot with us. We certainly hope you have as much fun as a marathon and hopefully, you won't be as tired. ;)

Three of us will come down from San Antonio What time do we need to arive to get signed up ?

More good news, thanks! The times are on the main page of the match website, sign-up starts at 0800. Thanks for the heads up, we'll do our best to get you a meal but can't guarantee a match booklet, we only had so many extra printed and it will be first come, first served on those.

Seeya Sunday..

We lucked out today, Don. Yesterday morning, after seeing the lousy forecast for Friday, we got a jump on the stage set ups and finished two. Then this morning, we had lots of volunteer help and we were done with all of them by about 2pm. Just as we finished, a shower moved through and it's been light rain on and off since for a total of .5 inches here at the house (and I'm less than a mile from the range).

The forecast says we may get a little more tonight but I'll be surprised if we get more than an inch total and at Starry, that's no big deal at all because it's higher terrain and sandy soil, no gumbo to speak of. Plus, we bought a pickup load of the same stuff they use on baseball fields for water absorption so we'll get that spread on the three stages where there might be potentially slippery bare soil in the morning before the staff shoot.

The front is supposed to roll through around 0800, clearing skies, and a wind shift around from the north with some stiff winds which, along with the sunny conditions, will dry things up there rapidly. The best news of all is, Sunday is going to be SPECTACULAR, full sun with a high of 65.

So, we couldn't ask for more than that and the worst I hope we have to put up with is a little soggy ground and some gusty winds for the staff shoot tomorrow. No big deal..(I hope). :)

Three of us will come down from San Antonio What time do we need to arive to get signed up ?

More good news, thanks! The times are on the main page of the match website, sign-up starts at 0800. Thanks for the heads up, we'll do our best to get you a meal but can't guarantee a match booklet, we only had so many extra printed and it will be first come, first served on those.

Seeya Sunday..

I'm one of the "three" riding with Alamoshooter. We're getting a flood up in Belton (near Temple) right now - hope things are drier down south. Looking forward to the match!

Who else out there is going??

Seeya Sunday..

I'm one of the "three" riding with Alamoshooter. We're getting a flood up in Belton (near Temple) right now - hope things are drier down south. Looking forward to the match!

Who else out there is going??

We got some rain yesterday afternoon but not much over night maybe 1/2" TV radar this morning is showing it clearing out looks like all is well in Corpus Christi let go shoot.

FAS: No rain at the range all night and as of this morning, it appears as though we missed a couple pretty good lines of weather that passed by to the east and you guys in the SAT-IAH line got a whole lot more I see. There is some scattered activity South and West of the range so we may get some this morning but the forecast still calls for things to clear out by noon and get rapidly better after that.

Glad you're looking forward to the match, we hope you find it fun as well as challenging but most of all, we hope you have a good time.

Good to see you out there today, Johnny and glad you liked what you saw.

As for the weather, once the front blew through this morning, the sun came out along with some pretty gusty winds and those two things along with the drying agent we spread on the three potentially slippery bays, the range was dry as a bone by mid-afternoon so it'll be absolutely dry for the competitors in the morning.

Even better, the wind is forecast to die down to just 5-10 knots so with clear skies and lots of sun, I want to remind folks to bring some sunscreen as a whole bunch of us got pretty red today.

Seeya tomorrow..