Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting together a 3-gun lower

Clint-M

Hey forum, I'm changing up my AR-15 for 3-gun so I sold off my LaRue lower to fund a 3-gun specific lower that I won't mind banging up on the go. I know these questions pop up every day but I want to make sure I don't overlook something and have to put more money into this than I should. I'm looking for advice on the best bang for my buck items, even if that means buying the best at a slightly higher price. If it makes a significant difference I would rather get it now than upgrade later if you know what I mean.

So, what are the best deals out there on specific parts and if you could explain why that would be awesome too. I have pieced together more "precision" lowers for bench shooting but I don't know what different things I need to look for in a 3-gun lower.

Also, I don't know if it matters but right now I have a BCM upper with BCM's BCG but I'm looking into getting JP's LMOS system as fund allow. And pictures would be great too!

Thanks guys,

Clint

I think you can get a JP lower w/trigger insalled for $250. Thats like getting the lower for under $100.

Stripped spikes lowers are at AIM for $70.

JP's site has the JP lower with trigger for $349, am I looking at the wrong thing or are they available someplace else?

CM

I think you can get a JP lower w/trigger insalled for $250. Thats like getting the lower for under $100.

Stripped spikes lowers are at AIM for $70.

JP's site has the JP lower with trigger for $349, am I looking at the wrong thing or are they available someplace else?

CM

No, I just got the numbers wrong by 1 hundred $s. Sorry. Still not bad deal.

I guess I don't see the logic in selling your used Larue lower to buy a brand new lower so that you wouldn't bag up your used Larue lower? Slightly lost there, but.....

You certainly can't go wrong with JP. Huge supporter of our sport and quality product aswell. Otherwise Lancer lowers with the built in interchangeable that looks pretty nice too. Regardless of what you choose put a quality trigger in and don't look back.

The LaRue lower wasn't used. I had two built, one I turned into a SPR type of build, heavy but really only intended for rest shooting and hunting. The second I never got around to building so I sold it for basically what I paid for it to build a lighter, more 3-gun equipped lower.

On the topic of triggers, what is generally used in 3-gun? Non-adjustable preferred.

What your lower says on it is not important. There are not but a handful of forging manufacturers out there. If you like a specific roll mark buy it. As for triggers JP, Wilson, Geissele and I am missing one, are very popular. Do a search.

Edited by maddox

What your lower says on it is not important. There are not but a handful of forging manufacturers out there. If you like a specific roll mark buy it. As for triggers JP, Wilson, Geissele and I am missing one, are very popular. Do a search.

I know about the lowers, that's why I sold my LaRue. I knew they had such a following I could get retail for it to save on a forging and put more into the trigger and parts.

How the world do you choose between so many Geissele Triggers? How different can they be?

So is it best to go with a lighter set up. A shooting buddy and icare each building one hoping to try 3 gun out and ge us building his off of his LaRue. You sold your lower bc if a weight issue? Am I understanding that correctly? I figured his LaRue would make a great start for a 3 gun.

My LaRue lower had a UBR stock and I wanted something lighter in a stock. Because it was new and LaRue has such a following I sold it for what I had into it which was more than enough to build a forged lower with a competition trigger and whatever else I want on it with a little extra cash in hand instead of sitting in an unused lower. I'm a broke CJ major(because I spend too much on guns :mellow: ) so it made sense for me to sell an expensive lower I wouldn't want to beat up to build a cheaper forged lower with better internals. This way if I beat it up too badly A) I won't care and B) can replace the receiver for $100. So it was a mixture of weight, and financial sense. I come out ahead with a better equipped lower for my application and a few extra bucks for ammo.

Plus I already have one rifle set-up with a LaRue lower set-up (that I'm giving to my brother for his birthday) and I'll be ordering a predatAR after this semester ends...hopefully. :cheers:

CM

If you want to run a complete JP LMOS system, you'll want to build your lower with a rifle-length extension (not a carbine).

The JP triggers are great if you like single stage triggers, very crisp and short reset but can vary based on the installation. The AR Gold is a great drop in competition trigger that feels reminiscent of a light tuned 2011 trigger - some take up then a crisp light break and a super short reset. The Geissele S3G ("Super 3 Gun", so you can already tell how they tuned that trigger) is another great trigger with kind of a unique feel all its own... sort of rolls smoothly then just breaks, nice reset but not as short as the AR Gold or a JP trigger that's tuned just right. I really like the two stage feel of the Geissele SSA-E, but its reset is noticeably longer than the S3G. BTW, believe it or not the different Geissele triggers do in fact have distinct feels to them - I was able to test them back to back at the SHOT Show but not everyone would be so fortunate in their local shops.

If possible you would be well advised to try as many triggers as you can. Various people have differing preferences. If there is a 3-gun match nearby you could probably find some folks with different types of triggers that would be willing to let you check them out.

Edited by esskay

I would have kept the LaRue and UBR - both of those are great for 3gun and a lot of people want a little weight in the back to balance the rifle, depending on which barrel you choose.

3gun games are won based on skills, not equipment. You just need the rifle/carbine to be reliable. Equipment only really matters when you are fighting for seconds on stages once you have reached a certain level. Nothing wrong with wanting to start with good equipment, but you will see lots of people win with very basic equipment.

The most important things you will buy are practice time, and practice ammo.

Beyond that - you just want to set up your rifle to be 100% reliable, control as much recoil as you can without sacrificing ANY reliability, and get a decent trigger.

I would have kept the LaRue and UBR - both of those are great for 3gun and a lot of people want a little weight in the back to balance the rifle, depending on which barrel you choose.

3gun games are won based on skills, not equipment. You just need the rifle/carbine to be reliable. Equipment only really matters when you are fighting for seconds on stages once you have reached a certain level. Nothing wrong with wanting to start with good equipment, but you will see lots of people win with very basic equipment.

The most important things you will buy are practice time, and practice ammo.

Beyond that - you just want to set up your rifle to be 100% reliable, control as much recoil as you can without sacrificing ANY reliability, and get a decent trigger.

I hear you on everything, just a personal preference on the weight thing. If I had kept the LaRue with the upper I'm planning on using for now I was around 11 pounds w/o a mag. That's not ridiculous or anything, but unwieldy for a guy my size trying to move quickly. I'm picking up a complete lower tomorrow and ordering a trigger and a few other upgrades and coming out a couple hundred ahead than if I kept the LaRue and UBR. Plus I would've been spending extra cash on a new trigger for my old lower so I'm saving about $400 on something I won't hesitate to throw on a table or in a barrel with my shotgun, etc.

Now I just need to decide on the Geissele 3-gun, SSA-E, or other, but that'll be more researching the boards than anything. Thanks guys.

I have the Geissele 3 gun in my new Colt CR Pro, and really like it. Esskay's description of the rolling feeling, then the break is right on. I also have a Bill Springfield trigger set in another rifle. Great trigger for $35 on a stock trigger group. I won't beat you up on trading the Larue. If you get a regular forged lower, a lower is a lower is a lower. It's really just a box with pin holes for fitting your fire control parts. Some are known for tight mag wells (Olympic Arms, RRA), but otherwise they will all work for you.

Edited by OPENB