Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide rod Legal for Productkion?

shotslow

I have been told that a tungsten guide rod is not legal because it causes the weight of the gun to exceed Production rules. :mellow: I am going to read the rules. As I understand it, the rules have recently been modified. (2009?) I did searches, but the results came back with old threads prior to 2009. The gun is a M&P 9mm Pro with a 5 inch barrel. The tungsten guide rod and a 13# spring is great. Thanks.

I have been told that a tungsten guide rod is not legal because it causes the weight of the gun to exceed Production rules. :mellow: I am going to read the rules. As I understand it, the rules have recently been modified. (2009?) I did searches, but the results came back with old threads prior to 2009. The gun is a M&P 9mm Pro with a 5 inch barrel. The tungsten guide rod and a 13# spring is great. Thanks.

M&P Pro series 5" 9mm (29.2 oz.) is the listed weight on the USPSA site. This includes a magazine (unloaded). Add two ounces to this and that is the maximum weight you can have (31.2 ounces). If your pistol, magazine plus other parts does not exceed that weight, you are legal.

Remember that replacement sights, grip tape, et. al. add weight as well!

Weigh your gun and see for yourself. My G34 made weight with a tungsten guide rod, steel (warren tactical/sevigny) sights, grip tape and a lightened striker (which i imagine amounted for jack in terms of weight offset). keep in mind that i was only .25oz above the max but it made it just the same (on different scales at different matches).

Edited by spanky

It weighs 29.75 oz using a food scale. :unsure: I should be legel. :rolleyes: I have the rules and will read them. The guide rod and recoil spring allow better control. I am doing club matches and no one checks but part of the fun is working to get the right PF and do the rules right. :D

Thanks.

It weighs 29.75 oz using a food scale. :unsure: I should be legel. :rolleyes: I have the rules and will read them. The guide rod and recoil spring allow better control. I am doing club matches and no one checks but part of the fun is working to get the right PF and do the rules right. :D

Thanks.

Good for you! Thanks for wanting to do it right.

The tungsten guide rod from Speed Shooters is 1.75 oz so you should be legal. I can't remember what the stock rod weighed, but 9 Pro came in at 31 oz with a tungsten rod. I also have Dawson adjustable sights and grip tape. I don't know how much weight those added since I didn't weight the gun before.

• 2 weeks later...

I am NOT a DRL, nor do I play one on TV, but the "I have shaved the small grip a bit to better fit..." portion attracted my attention.

I know from personal experience and being on the losing end of a "discussion" with the Director of the NROI that modifications to grips can and likely will result in a bump to Open.(It was a good discussion. I just hate losing.)

I usually modify the trigger guards on my Glocks because it really hurts the heck out of my middle finger on the shooting hand. The modification doesn't raise the grip or give any other competitive advantage; it just provides clearance for my knuckle. Because this modification was deemed "the beginning of a slippery slope" by USPSA, my G-34 frame had to be replaced with a factory-new one.

As far as Tungsten guide rods, there is no substitute for a really good scientific scale to weigh the gun/magazine combo. 2 ounces over "factory" is a lot of wiggle-room actually, but I'd rather not screw that up.

Also, you didn't say where you're located. If you're playing under International rules, you may want to research this in the IPSC rulebook, as most answers here will be "USPSA-slanted". Not a criticism; just an observation.

Edited by Braxton1