Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you drop a class?

MGMorden

Just wondering: I know that reading the classification procedure they seem to throw out any score under 5% of your current class, but it seems that if you didn't practice for a while and you shot enough of them that are below your current class but still less than 5% below, your average could potentially drop into the next class.

In this case, does the system actually drop you back a class or once you attain or certain class are you fixed there only to move upwards?

Short answer: No. You can only move up.

Long answer (from the rulebook):

To go down in class you must: 1) request in writing to be moved down, citing

your reasons and justification; 2) have a club president or SC concur with your

request in writing; and 3) have no current scores on record that indicate you

should remain in your assigned class

It is possible, as I have approved and pushed through downgrades of classifications before, recently in my section in fact.

The key item is to clearly show that your current classification is not indicative of current skill sets and abilities. In the couple of cases I have approved, there was a legitimate reason for the 'lower' skill set - age in one and injury in the other. While having a reason for diminished skills/abilities is definitely not a requirement, it just helps in the request as it explains in part why the request is being made (other than lower classifier scores).

Even though the requests I had were specific to a single division, I reviewed scores in all divisions to the ensure historical performance in those divisions also supported the downgrade request. I certainly didn't want to approve someone to go from B to C-class in Limited only to have them go up to B-class in another division in the following months. And because of that type of review, I have not supported one request made to me.

So with the documentation of data from the classification system and a reasonable supporting story, the requests I supported and submitted were also supported by the AD and Dave Thomas without a lot of question and thus downgrade occurred shortly after submission.

• 2 months later...

Thanks. My concern was mostly about an automatic drop. Basically, it seems like under the current system anything more than 5% below your current class is thrown out, making it hard, but I was thinking what I I'm B-class, and shot 8 classifiers between 55 and 60%? Technically those should be counted as they're under my current class, but not 5% under, and if they were the most recent 8 then the average would drop into a C-class average. I just was curious as to whether or not the system would demote you or if the average would just drop into C-class territory but the rating remain the same.

I actually like that it won't auto-demote. It was kind of a fear I had as I am setting goals for myself to make certain classifications, but it would feel less worthwhile if I had to worry about slowly being demoted back down if I didn't practice enough. Sounds like all is well though :D.

I'm just wondering what the whole deal about classification is, anyways. In every match I have been to since I started in October (12 total), I have not see one instance where being classified in one class or another made a difference. The stats aren't broken down by class, either at the club level, or on the USPSA stats site. In effect, Us are competing with GMs just the same as As, Bs, Cs, and Ds...it makes zero difference as all are thrown into the respective Division mix together. I have beat a few B class shooters, but what did I get for it? OK, at the Factory Gun Classic, I came in among the top 10 U class shooters in Production. But, looking at the stats, I'm just in 40th place in Division...big whoop. :)

What am I missing? To me, as a new set of eyes, this whole classification system is a lot of energy to maintain for little to no reason. :wacko:

I'm just wondering what the whole deal about classification is, anyways. In every match I have been to since I started in October (12 total), I have not see one instance where being classified in one class or another made a difference. The stats aren't broken down by class, either at the club level, or on the USPSA stats site. In effect, Us are competing with GMs just the same as As, Bs, Cs, and Ds...it makes zero difference as all are thrown into the respective Division mix together. I have beat a few B class shooters, but what did I get for it? OK, at the Factory Gun Classic, I came in among the top 10 U class shooters in Production. But, looking at the stats, I'm just in 40th place in Division...big whoop. :)

What am I missing? To me, as a new set of eyes, this whole classification system is a lot of energy to maintain for little to no reason. :wacko:

Winners in a class within a division are recognized if there are enough competitors in that class. See Appendix A2, Section 4 in your rule book.

Additionally, if your scores at a major match far exceed your current class, and there are enough GM's shooting at that match, you may also be eligible for a bump up in class.

You apparently havent shot any Majors yet. The classifications are used for awards at major matches, when the appropriate number of shooters are in each class. 1st place B, 2nd place B, etc etc. FOr club matches, they really dont mean anything other than a reference point (i.e. Im a B shooter and I beat an M shooter...yay me.)

I have shot at two majors...the Monster Match and the Factory Gun Classic. Yes, I did see that they gave some wood out to the top class winners in those matches, but that's not my motivation here. What I'm observing: there is a lot of emphasis on classification stats, but they aren't broken out in match stats at all in any official capacity. So, what's the big deal about classification, really? And, to the OP, why worry about dropping classification for the reasons I am observing? Just go shoot and have fun...don't get wrapped around the axle regarding your classification.

I have shot at two majors...the Monster Match and the Factory Gun Classic. Yes, I did see that they gave some wood out to the top class winners in those matches, but that's not my motivation here. What I'm observing: there is a lot of emphasis on classification stats, but they aren't broken out in match stats at all in any official capacity. So, what's the big deal about classification, really? And, to the OP, why worry about dropping classification for the reasons I am observing? Just go shoot and have fun...don't get wrapped around the axle regarding your classification.

Answered your own question :) Thats the deal for the vast majority of shooters.

So, what's the big deal about classification, really?

Classification is a good yardstick to measure your progress as a shooter, and provides an additional metric to measure your performance at a match. If I come in 5th out of 10 shooters, that can mean different things depending on whether I was shooting with 9 GMs or 9 D class shooters. The class system helps me evaluate whether I was shooting below, at, or above my expectations. It also allows for a set of performance goals as you improve. It's a lot more rewarding to make B class after working hard than to simply move from a 58% average to a 61% average.

BB

The classification system also allows D, C, B, and A (actually all shooters) shooters a chance to go to the nationals. Slots are awarded in each section of state to those top shooters in each class. If it wasn't like that, all you would ever see at the nationals would be M's and GM's. The way it is now, just about everyone has a shot at getting a slot to the nationals, within your respective division and class.

And, to the OP, why worry about dropping classification for the reasons I am observing? Just go shoot and have fun...don't get wrapped around the axle regarding your classification.

Its all in different personality types. To me, setting goal for improving my classification is specifically what I derive fun from. Without classifications and something to work towards I'd find shooting matches much less interesting. Winning nationals isn't a realistic goal for me - its just not likely to happen. If I say to myself that I'd like to make A class within the next 3 years though, thats a perfectly reasonable and achievable goal.

You apparently havent shot any Majors yet. The classifications are used for awards at major matches, when the appropriate number of shooters are in each class. 1st place B, 2nd place B, etc etc. FOr club matches, they really dont mean anything other than a reference point (i.e. Im a B shooter and I beat an M shooter...yay me.)

And then there's places that pay prize money for division and class winners at local matches, like the Mid-Atlantic Section.....

The classification system also allows D, C, B, and A (actually all shooters) shooters a chance to go to the nationals. Slots are awarded in each section of state to those top shooters in each class. If it wasn't like that, all you would ever see at the nationals would be M's and GM's. The way it is now, just about everyone has a shot at getting a slot to the nationals, within your respective division and class.

Nationals is invite-only? Wow, I didn't know that. :wacko:

No, its not "invite only", but there are a limited number of slots available, and in order to assure a slot, you must be selected in your class at the section level. There are always available slots for walk ons, but they do fill up. If you are late to the party, the door may be shut.

Section By-Laws outline how slots are distributed amongst clubs. In addition to winning a spot, you can sometimes get one from your local club or section by applying for their waiting list. Not all Sections award their slots via matches. We distribute the earned slots by clubs for them to distribute. Leftovers come back to me and the waiting list kicks in.

Section By-Laws outline how slots are distributed amongst clubs. In addition to winning a spot, you can sometimes get one from your local club or section by applying for their waiting list. Not all Sections award their slots via matches. We distribute the earned slots by clubs for them to distribute. Leftovers come back to me and the waiting list kicks in.

Thanks vluc! I knew someone out there could explain the distribution better! :cheers:

You could also be in a section that is having a really hard time giving away it's Single Stack slots, that it doesn't matter what your classification is or how well you've done over that past year's matches.

Edited by Skydiver

You could also be in a section that is having a really hard time giving away it's Single Stack slots, that it doesn't matter what your classification is or how well you've done over that past year's matches.

Do clubs try to send their "best" shooters to Nationals? Like an all-star team from their area?

• 1 month later...

You get your old classifications back, as well as your old member number.

That is only if you ask I am guessing. I got clasified back in the 90's and then didn't shoot any more. Started back up 10 years later and when I re-joined USPSA I got a new number and was "U" across the board.

Neal in AZ