Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer pocket filth

shootluke62

I noticed after using my 45 acp brass 2-3xs seating the primer is a bit harder

( slight tiny "dent" in new primers etc) brass is tumbled shiny like new but the primer pockets are dirty, any ideas?

is there a efficient way to clean the pocket? should I be de-capping then cleaning my brass? I have been cleaning brass then decapping- thnxx for any ideas.

If there is a dent in the face of the primer, it is caused by debris on the top of the primer seater. Don't bother about cleaning primer pockets. Most debris is released with the removal of the old primer. What little remains won't significantly interfere with seating or ignition. If you deprime then tumble, there is a risk of cleaning media clogging the flash hole of the case. I've seen this happen at a major match.

BiggDawg: and the benefit to cleaning the case so thoroughly? Smaller groups? Press stays cleaner? Anything? How much was the media and the additives to the water and how bad is the drying time?

Any problems expanding those squeaky clean cases?

Unlike Dillon, I ALWAYS deprime before cleaning for 30 minutes in 20/40 corn and have NEVER had any media in a flash hole or in the primer pocket. If I did, however, it should be knocked out when a size the case since I haven't removed the decapper from any of my dies. Thus, about 30 minutes after sorting, inspection, and tumbling, I am ready to reload.

Remember, wiping off the exterior of the case produces all the benefits one will get from cleaning cases. Any more is for ease, convenience, and "confidence".

BiggDawg: and the benefit to cleaning the case so thoroughly? Smaller groups? Press stays cleaner? Anything? How much was the media and the additives to the water and how bad is the drying time?

Any problems expanding those squeaky clean cases?

Unlike Dillon, I ALWAYS deprime before cleaning for 30 minutes in 20/40 corn and have NEVER had any media in a flash hole or in the primer pocket. If I did, however, it should be knocked out when a size the case since I haven't removed the decapper from any of my dies. Thus, about 30 minutes after sorting, inspection, and tumbling, I am ready to reload.

Remember, wiping off the exterior of the case produces all the benefits one will get from cleaning cases. Any more is for ease, convenience, and "confidence".

the reason i do it is because i like shiny brass and i hate the media dust. my dies and press stay cleaner. as for additives, 3tbs dawn dish soap and 1tsp lemi shine dishwasher additive. to a 1 gallon drum with 5lbs media that is $5 a lb. yes it costs more to get started but the media will last forever.

yes the pistol brass sizes a little harder because there isn't any media dust on them to help lube the die. As for drying i have it down now and the only real disadvantage is it takes 3-5 hours to dry with a fan so you can't clean and then load. the plus side is it only takes 2 hours to get them clean and shiny.

• 1 month later...

I use the SS media with wet tumbling as well and I will never return to walnut or corn cob media. It does take longer but they are so much cleaner and my press stays much cleaner as well when I am reloading the cases.

• 1 month later...

I like nice clean shiny brass myself, I personally deprime all the cases then clean in an ultrasonic cleaner for 16 minutes and the case looks brand new. There is probably no real noticeable difference to the shooter, but it does keep your press a lot cleaner. This also gives me another opportunity to make sure my brass is defect free and make sure a brass didn't sneak through that I didn't want to get in.