Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what I have learned about chasing perfection

Mat Price

I have tried every spring/load/bullet weight combo one can imagine in two Sti trubor open guns. one built from the ground up with all the parts I wanted. One right out the box. What i have learned is shoot the crap out of them! and enjoy it! dot flip soft shooting it will all work its self out in about 15K rounds!

I like to tell the noobs, even though they never believe me.

It matters a little for awhile, then it doesn't matter at all.

There is something to be said for going through the process and reaching the conclusion for yourself.

However, if you wanna save some time and money and get better faster, just...

wait for it

wait for it

Pick one and practice.

Edited by Steve Anderson

Mine was/is 3.5 lbs of grit. Chris Tilley said it was the worst trigger he ever felt and made a "who farted" face. :)

It's not really about giving up what you've already got. It's about making do with what you have.

I'd generalize that to: "It's not about what you've got, it's about doing with what you have."

Sure, and "pick one and practice" was never meant to be "go get the crappiest makarov you can find and shoot open"

You need a decent trigger.

You need good sights.

You need a load that runs the gun and has predictable sight or dot lift and return.

What you don't need to do is question and change those things over and over.

Flex summed it up best the other day, and I'll try to do his quote justice:

Some guy look at their progress and think, "Well, I'm not very good at shooting but I can be good at buying stuff"

When I look back at my period of most rapid progress, I can't think of any piece of gear that made a huge difference.

I bought a used open gun and loved it. Got used to it. Shot the crap out of it.

Needed a holster. Max and Travis said Cr speed. Done.

Needed a load. Travis said 7625 or 4756. Tried 'em both, timer said 7625. Done.

Wore out a barrel. Bought the same damn barrel again.

Needed a new comp for the barrel. Called EGW and said to put on there the one Travis uses.

I don't mean to be critical or argumentative, because we all go down our own road and have to use our own map, but I'd sure like save someone the time, money and frustration of thinking that they'll shoot a bunch better if they only had x or y.

(Thinking about it some more, I can think of one piece of gear that helped a bunch. Rudy glasses in racing red. Those things are awesome, especially for iron sights!)

Flex summed it up best the other day, and I'll try to do his quote justice:

Some guy look at their progress and think, "Well, I'm not very good at shooting but I can be good at buying stuff"

Yeah, guys get hung up and don't know what to do next to improve. But, guys are often action oriented...they gotta do something.

What can they do...? They can shop. They know how to do that. ph34r.gif

Yeah, guys get hung up and don't know what to do next to improve. But, guys are often action oriented...they gotta do something.

What can they do...? They can shop. They know how to do that. ph34r.gif

I thought the Hunter/Gatherer things was a men/women thing.... Women like to shop, guys just like to amass lots o stuff :)...

Alan

• 4 months later...

6 months later a couple of local match wins and Looking at A class on the next run. still shooting the bone stock trubor lol although i have been reallly looking in to an AKAI gun. talked alot with shay and shot a couple... maybe worth a try.

I think sometimes the quest for a better mousetrap actually gets in the way of catching the mouse. Or, to paraphrase Voltaire - Better is (or can be) the enemy of good.

There was a time when the pace of hardware/gear innovation was very rapid and if you were competitive, and wanted to stay competitive, you needed to upgrade hardware (.i.e. .45 > .38 super, single stack > hi-caps, irons > red-dots). These days it seems like the basic formula for a competitive gun is pretty well established and most of the innovations are really refinements of existing concepts or variations on an existing theme. These refinements might help some shooters in some minor way but they are not universal game changers. We are all gear-heads to some extent and enjoy the hardware of the game, but in reality once the reliability and accuracy hurdles have been overcome it’s all about just getting out and using/learning the gear we got, and playing the game to the best of our abilities.

I like that saying – It’s the Indian, not the arrow. I need to repeat this over and over to myself! :blush: