Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best gun for a kid to start shooting USPSA

bruised lee

Bruised Lee,

I shoot a STI Eagle 6.0 40 S&W in SC limited.

My Grandsons and a 12 year old son of a friend I take, shot 22 LR.

We have a Ruger competition Mark lll Red Dot, a Ruger Hunter Fiber Optic sights, a Ruger 22-45 with a Red Dot, and a Beretta Target 22 Iron Sights.

The 12 year old likes Iron Sights better than Red Dots, all kids are different, we just change around to find what they shoot best.

Don't push to hard, and burn em out. KEEP IT FUN. Also kids like Pop, Candy, and McDonalds. Make it fun trips and something they wanna do too!

Just My Opinions,

Perry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid shooting Major .45, wonder how is he doing right now? He must be really strong to like shooting it. The first time I fired a .45 after 15 years of absence from shooting scene and a year of shooting production felt like The gun wanted to fly out of my hand. Hope he does't get any wrist problem.

He's doing great! We just started back in the shooting game after 5 years of varsity sports that took up most of his time and mine. He is 19 now and is actually shooting that same gun in Limited 10 while I get his 2011 built. His wrists never did bother him shooting the 45 and he actually liked the recoil!

I have two sons, one that is 10 yoa, that I am teaching to shoot NRA Action pistol and I have found that you have to find a gun that they can shoot sucessfully.

Kids are short on attention and patience. They expect to pick up a gun and shoot just as well as you do because they kick your butt in video games! I tried alot of different platforms, glock, revolver, XD, and 1911s and settled on a Browning Buckmark for two reasons.

First, it is a .22. Shooting anything bigger more than 10 rounds gave them a horrible flinch and I didn't see any reason to screw them up at such a young age. Second reason was that they were successful when shooting it. Both were able to mow down the plate rack at 10 yards and feel good about their performance. If this doesn't happen then they quit and are back to video games. None of us like to do things we aren't good at.

As they get bigger, I am sure we will move on to other guns, but for now my goal is to keep them shooting with me. :D

Just my experience

Edited by mwc

While I have two sons who both started shooting USPSA at age 9, I don’t have a great deal to add to the recommendations. Their primary gun is a G34 with skate tape to improve grip and reduce the risk of limp wristing. Like others have discussed above, limp wristing was an issue with son #2 until we changed the spring package and gave him the grip exerciser things. Son #2 is now almost 11 and likes the attention he gets from shooting a 45ACP 1911, so he has started competing in single stack, while his older brother has stuck with the G34.

Here are the benefits that I have seen by going with the Glock:

Low cost compared to other brands. Not just the gun but mags, holsters, etc.

Very large aftermarket selection of accessories and parts

Ability to work on the gun yourself without the aid of a gunsmith

Familiarity of other competitors with the platform, in case you have an issue

Amazing reliability. Nothing frustrates a kid who is trying his best than an equipment failure. Despite my protests, they do not clean their mags between stages and the gun runs 100%

A gun that can grow with him as he develops.

In expensive caliber that is still competitive in production division.

The G35 would be competitive in Production, limited, and limited 10, as well as IDPA games if ammo costs were not a huge factor (compared to a 9mm G34)

Worst case, if they loose interest, the guns hold their value well, or you can shoot them yourself

Seem to be able to fit smaller hands.

The concept of trigger reset is very easy to teach

No safety. One less control for them to reach/manipulate while operating the gun. Reinforces the concept of the “gun is always loaded”

Cons:

Tendency to be prone to limp wristing. It has been said that Glocks like a strong grip.

Bruised Lee,

I shoot a STI Eagle 6.0 40 S&W in SC limited.

My Grandsons and a 12 year old son of a friend I take, shot 22 LR.

We have a Ruger competition Mark lll Red Dot, a Ruger Hunter Fiber Optic sights, a Ruger 22-45 with a Red Dot, and a Beretta Target 22 Iron Sights.

The 12 year old likes Iron Sights better than Red Dots, all kids are different, we just change around to find what they shoot be

Don't push to hard, and burn em out. KEEP IT FUN. Also kids like Pop, Candy, and McDonalds. Make it fun trips and something they wanna do t

Just My Opinions,

We tried steel before as there was a family rim fire that shoots once a month at the range where I Usually go. My son really liked it but wife was pregnant that time so I can not shoot as much as I want. I was lucky if I can shoot once a month that time. The problem is they moved to a range that is an hour and a half away. So still debating As to buy him a rimfire for steel or wait till his big enough to shoot ipsc or buy a rim fire and have him shoot that gun ipsc. :) don't know if they will let him though.

Definitely going to try to keep it fun. He plays too much video game. Need to take him out more.

BTW-what mods did you do to your rimfire and do you shoot it for steel?

Thanks

Dave

The kid shooting Major .45, wonder how is he doing right now? He must be really strong to like shooting it. The first time I fired a .45 after 15 years of absence from shooting scene and a year of shooting production felt like The gun wanted to fly out of my hand. Hope he does't get any wrist problem.

He's doing great! We just started back in the shooting game after 5 years of varsity sports

that took up most of his time and mine. He is 19 now and is actually shooting that same

gun in Limited 10 while I get his 2011 built. His wrists never did bother him shooting the 45

and he actually liked the recoil!

That's Good. I hope my son is as strong but he can hardly control a 9mm. I was worried to have him shoot until he can really hold the gun properly for safety reason and for fear that he might damage his wrist. So how many rounds average did your son shoot when he

Was around 10?

Kids are short on attention and patience. They expect to pick up a gun and shoot just as well as you do because they kick your butt in video games! I tried alot of different platforms, glock, revolver, XD, and 1911s and settled on a Browning Buckmark for two reasons.

--he still can't beat me in video games for now but getting close.my reflexes getting slower I guess and his starting to have a better aim. :) tried the same thing with the same result.might try the rimfire. I'm going to check out NRA action too. Thanks for the heads up.

As they get bigger, I am sure we will move on to other guns, but for now my goal is to keep them shooting with me. :D

--your lucky.shootings a great sports to enjoy with thekids. Have fun and shoot safe.

Here are the benefits that I have seen by going with the glock...

-- totally agree with you as I shoot G34 myself for production. Been shooting it for a year. The only problem with glock for me was mastering the trigger. I'm still having some problem from time to time(It doesn't help that I don't dry fire and shoots only once a month most of the time for now with family obligations.hopefully will change when my baby grows up a little more). It's reliability was one of the reason I got a glock instead of a 1911 platform(I used to shoot SS 15 years ago and just bought another SS two months ago.and will be shooting SS again). I'm not good at tinkering and cleaning guns/mags(mags get cleaned every 3 local matches, or longer if it doesn't look dirty ;) ).

That's Good. I hope my son is as strong but he can hardly control a 9mm. I was worried to have him shoot until he can really hold the gun properly for safety reason and for fear that he might damage his wrist. So how many rounds average did your son shoot when he

Was around 10?

He would shoot whatever a 4 stage club match required, 100-150 rnds. He was always athletic, wrestled and played baseball since he was 5 and wasn't much for video games. He wasn't a big kid though, his senior year of highschool he was 5'6" and wrestled at 135 lbs.

I started off shooting a CZ115(I think.) It's a .22 bolt action with a 4x 20mm scope... Its a great gun!

I say start him off with a .22 rifle, move to a .22 pistol, then to a 9mm. Upgrades came along the better I got.

MGM Targets and the US AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) put on a clinic for juniors in the past years. I went for 2008 and 2009... I learned a lot... Mainly from Travis Tomasie.

The rest of my training came from the people that shoot the local matches.

In short: Start off with a .22, move up to whatever gun he wants (within logic. i.e. no $6000 gun), get him to a clinic or two, then let it just improve from there. Just dont push him too hard to shoot. Kids who get pushed into sports lose interest.

Good luck!

T.

I was hoping chbrow would weigh in on this for you. His youngest is a beast with that SS, and shoots Alphas all day-- like he'd been doing it for years.

I have personally discovered that trying to accomodate small hands with a small grip is not always the best course of action. By all rights, I should HATE the fat feel of a Glock, but find I prefer it over the skinny little competitors. I pick up a standard 1911 and have to fiddle with it a bit to get it "comfortable"-- but hand me one with an arched mainspring and some built up grips, and I'm in Heaven. My hands are on the small-ish side of the equation, so take that for what it's worth. Obviously, it will be different for a 10 year old-- but the concept may still apply.

Remember, there are a lot of different aspects to a grip and different people (regardless of hand size) will have different preferences. Overall circumference is a minor consideration when you take into account the grips profile. How much of that size is front-to-back, or side-to-side? Finger groves, palm swells, the ever important grip angle-- all vastly more specific to the actual feel of the pistol. Most 10 year olds aren't that great about articulating the nitty gritty details-- you may need to try out as many options as possible and let him decide based on feel.

Lots of great advice. I particularly like the remarks about starting in Steel Challenge or other steel matches. The weekly steel matches near me have rimfire divisions. I'm not saying a 10 year old can't handle 9mm, but you'll be reloading twice as much or buying twice the ammo from now on. I think 22 is the way to go, it's way cheaper, scoring is easier to learn, and hearing the steel clang is fun. If you're wondering, you don't have to knock off the Texas stars or poppers. When his skills improve (and he has a job or learns to reload), move him up to production.

... I'm not saying a 10 year old can't handle 9mm, but you'll be reloading twice as much or buying twice the ammo from now on...

LOL...when T.Nyland started shooting Steel Challenge he was blasting away and taking 15+ rounds to finish a 5-round stage. It was then that I enacted a 10 round mag limit so I could afford to feed the M&P 9.

... I'm not saying a 10 year old can't handle 9mm, but you'll be reloading twice as much or buying twice the ammo from now on...

LOL...when T.Nyland started shooting Steel Challenge he was blasting away and taking 15+ rounds to finish a 5-round stage. It was then that I enacted a 10 round mag limit so I could afford to feed the M&P 9.

Thats not funny!!

• 2 weeks later...

When my grandsons are a little older,they'll be shooting my Glocks after getting proficient with a .22 rifle.No safeties to goof around with,nice and simple,and if the accidentally drop it,I'm not gonna cry..If I was getting a ten year old a gun for competition,I'd go with either a 17 or a 34,9mm is fine,nice and cheap to load compared to .40 and .45.[No 35's for me,I absolutely refuse to own a .40,LOL!!!]

Bruised Lee,

You ask what mods to the 22s, not much.

The Ruger Mark lll Competition polished the feed ramp.

The other three a lil trigger work and polish the feed ramps, the Ruger 22-45 had a wicked bad trigger and the mags were sticking.

"Ole Dirty Harry" H & H gunshop and smith does good work.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

I started my son on a 1911 airsoft (single stack) in the garage. Great for practicing muzzle control, finger off the trigger, range commands, and other fun stuff.

I bought him a GSG 1911 in .22. With some thin grips, he can handle it very well, and it is much lighter than a Ruger 22 or Buckmark. Adding a red dot soon, and will be shooting lots of steel challenge.

Cool think about the GSG 1911 is that it has the same controls as the airsoft, and as a centerfire 1911 that he'll eventually use. Also, it has a threaded barrel, and you can screw on a cool (and cheap) aftermarket compensator. It doesn't do much, but looks really cool to an 11 year old.

I'm wondering why everyone was suggesting a glock. Wouldn't kids suffer from the dreaded 'limp wrist' jams, or are those a thing of the past?

I have three daughters. All like shooting my Ruger SR9 and .22 Mark III Hunter with ProPoint red dot. I use the latter for a Steel and Pins gun. They like the .22 much better for the grip and reduced recoil, however it cost quite a bit more. It has full Vq parts swap & Vq Mark II hammmer w/ Clark bushing to elim mag disconnect.

My youngest is 9 and oldest is 13 and all seem much more comfortable with the red dot, but they really like the grip of the SR9. The youngest still has trouble using iron sights while the other two can shoot both equally well. In the end, the reduced recoil is probably the biggest decision maker for them when they go to pick up one over the other.

None of them like the grip on my STI Edge (40s&w) and their hands are not able to comfortably or confidently work the various controls easily. Only the oldest will even try to shoot it.

I've not taken them to a match at all, and none have really expressed interest in competing. However, they do want to come watch a match or two which hasn't happened yet with schedules. I have a feeling they would enjoy shooting steel over USPSA, do to the .22 and red dot preferences.

In the end, if I were buying a gun for one of them. I'd see if I could figure out what sport they were going to play. Then, take them to a range where they had a good selection of the lower caliburs in that sport, that I could rent. Then, we'd find a gun that 'fit' their hand... or at least, rule out what doesn't work for them by way of mag action, controls, weight, sights... etc.

Good luck,

• 3 weeks later...

I started off shooting a CZ115(I think.) It's a .22 bolt action with a 4x 20mm scope... Its a great gun!

I say start him off with a .22 rifle, move to a .22 pistol, then to a 9mm. Upgrades came along the better I got.

MGM Targets and the US AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) put on a clinic for juniors in the past years. I went for 2008 and 2009... I learned a lot... Mainly from Travis Tomasie.

The rest of my training came from the people that shoot the local matches.

In short: Start off with a .22, move up to whatever gun he wants (within logic. i.e. no $6000 gun), get him to a clinic or two, then let it just improve from there. Just dont push him too hard to shoot. Kids who get pushed into sports lose interest.

Good luck!

T.

Too bad AMU has no clinic here in cali. Planning on doing the .22 route. If not i'll let him try my G34 again. Seems that he grew a little more. Hopefully he can handle it now.

I was hoping chbrow would weigh in on this for you. His youngest is a beast with that SS, and shoots Alphas all day-- like he'd been doing it for years.

I have personally discovered that trying to accomodate small hands with a small grip is not always the best course of action. By all rights, I should HATE the fat feel of a Glock, but find I prefer it over the skinny little competitors. I pick up a standard 1911 and have to fiddle with it a bit to get it "comfortable"-- but hand me one with an arched mainspring and some built up grips, and I'm in Heaven. My hands are on the small-ish side of the equation, so take that for what it's worth. Obviously, it will be different for a 10 year old-- but the concept may still apply.

Remember, there are a lot of different aspects to a grip and different people (regardless of hand size) will have different preferences. Overall circumference is a minor consideration when you take into account the grips profile. How much of that size is front-to-back, or side-to-side? Finger groves, palm swells, the ever important grip angle-- all vastly more specific to the actual feel of the pistol. Most 10 year olds aren't that great about articulating the nitty gritty details-- you may need to try out as many options as possible and let him decide based on feel.

-We have the same preference for grips! My glock sports a houge sleeve and my SS have a palm swell grip panel and arched mainspring housing too. I'm planning on bringing him to the range again this month ang buy him a gun definitely this month if he still can't handle my G34. I just want to find a gun he can handle so that he won't get a wrist injury and something he can shoot safely awhile having fun.

When my grandsons are a little older,they'll be shooting my Glocks after getting proficient with a .22 rifle.No safeties to goof around with,nice and simple,and if the accidentally drop it,I'm not gonna cry..If I was getting a ten year old a gun for competition,I'd go with either a 17 or a 34,9mm is fine,nice and cheap to load compared to .40 and .45.[No 35's for me,I absolutely refuse to own a .40,LOL!!!]

-I'll try him the G34 again. What you said with the safeties are true, the less thing to fiddle with the less better for the beginers. .40 nice. I used to shoot 15yrs ago Single stack and just started shooting again on and off two years ago with a G34. I was not going anywhere so I bough a SS in.45. The recoil sure did shocked me. Then I bought a hicap .40 for limited and I think I'll stick to limited. The recoil sure is more manageable than .45. Plus I don't have to worry about remembering/planning where and when to change mags Its ussually after the second string! :D

Bruised Lee,

You ask what mods to the 22s, not much.

The Ruger Mark lll Competition polished the feed ramp.

The other three a lil trigger work and polish the feed ramps, the Ruger 22-45 had a wicked bad trigger and the mags were sticking.

"Ole Dirty Harry" H & H gunshop and smith does good work.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

Thanks! SO Ruger Mark III competition is better?

I started my son on a 1911 airsoft (single stack) in the garage. Great for practicing muzzle control, finger off the trigger, range commands, and other fun stuff.

I bought him a GSG 1911 in .22. With some thin grips, he can handle it very well, and it is much lighter than a Ruger 22 or Buckmark. Adding a red dot soon, and will be shooting lots of steel challenge.

Cool think about the GSG 1911 is that it has the same controls as the airsoft, and as a centerfire 1911 that he'll eventually use. Also, it has a threaded barrel, and you can screw on a cool (and cheap) aftermarket compensator. It doesn't do much, but looks really cool to an 11 year old.

I'm wondering why everyone was suggesting a glock. Wouldn't kids suffer from the dreaded 'limp wrist' jams, or are those a thing of the past?

-Thanks for sharing about the airsoft. I got an airsoft glock myself I bought to practice but completely forgotten as don't have time for dryfire/range time with family obligations. I was pretty surprised myself with the no. of glock suggestions as I have a Glock myself and the grip seems to be bigger that other platforms. I'll update you after about the limp wrist after my range time with my boy.

Hope you'll update us after you have red dot installed in his rimfire 1911 and how does it perform in steel challlnge.