Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Tumbling media do you use

Pizzim

You left out the best answer in your poll, if you dry tumble you should be using both, you don't have to, but each type has advantages and disadvantages, so for best results using both is the "best" answer.

Walnut shell is far better for cleaning, not too hot for polishing.

Corn cob is far better for polishing, not as good as walnut shell for cleaning.

Either one can be used exclusively, but the best combination is to use both. Walnut shell can be used for polishing, but to polish effectively it needs an additive. Corn cob will polish nicely, but an additive will make it work faster.

Crushed walent from the pet store-- lizard bedding, "desert blend". Pretty sure it's a little finer than the standard stuff.

I run it a few hours (sans brass) with several spent dryer sheets, to get the initial run of dust out. Then I treat it with Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaner, following the directions on the bottle to a T. Sit over the thing for a few minutes and manually break up the clumps.

Still running the cases for about 2 hours, but I've checked them in as few as 45 minutes and they've been plenty good to reload. They don't come out shiny new, but they're clean as all get out and definitely shine better than using the walnut by itself. With a fair coat of Hornady One Shot, they've never given me problems!

Although I did have a freakin' .40 case gum up the works earlier tonight. :angry:

I was talking with an "old tymer" reloader from my local club and he mentioned using walnut for rifle and .45 and corn cob for .8 and .40 just wondering what you guys use?

That may be because, depending on caliber and size of corn bits, corn cob can be a PITA to get out of rifle shells. I know I'm not the only one who has spent hours picking at .223 cases, trying to dislodge bits of corn that are trapped in the case. Some .25 caliber shells can be just as frustrating.

I usually tumble twice: walnut then corn cob (unless I'm cleaning .223), but I have used rice at one time or another. I never really strive for a high mirror shine on my brass. Lots of good threads on the subject, as mentioned above.

'old tymers' huh?

Well, I'm new to reloading, just completed my 3000th round of 9mm.

I Decap, add boiling water, juice of 2 lemons/limes for the citric acid, dollar store LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner, agitate, and soak 20 minutes. Drain, wash. Soak in baking soda solution. Drain, wash. Soak in plain boiling water, drain, let air dry. I also clean the primer pockets after the second or third reload.

Reasons are I didn't want to invest in a Tumbler + media setup, nor bother with an Ultrasonic cleaner, and read this:

"The other, more insidious problem, is lead poisoning. John's

shooting companion was diagnosed as having elevated lead in his

system. Because he not only shot a great deal at an indoor range,

and reloaded lead bullets that he ca

st, it took considerable detective

work to find the cause. John supplied him with a lead detection kit

for use around his casting equipment and it showed very little. On a

hunch, he tested around his case vibrator and found extreme

amounts of lead. He said the worst offender is a sifter used to

separate the media from the cases. Great clouds of dust are re-

leased. The lead comes from the priming compound. Primer manu-

facturers are trying to get the lead out, but the old stuff will be with

us for years to come."

-- Richard Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" page 48

any thoughts???

'old tymers' huh?

Well, I'm new to reloading, just completed my 3000th round of 9mm.

I Decap, add boiling water, juice of 2 lemons/limes for the citric acid, dollar store LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner, agitate, and soak 20 minutes. Drain, wash. Soak in baking soda solution. Drain, wash. Soak in plain boiling water, drain, let air dry. I also clean the primer pockets after the second or third reload.

Reasons are I didn't want to invest in a Tumbler + media setup, nor bother with an Ultrasonic cleaner, and read this:

"The other, more insidious problem, is lead poisoning. John's

shooting companion was diagnosed as having elevated lead in his

system. Because he not only shot a great deal at an indoor range,

and reloaded lead bullets that he ca

st, it took considerable detective

work to find the cause. John supplied him with a lead detection kit

for use around his casting equipment and it showed very little. On a

hunch, he tested around his case vibrator and found extreme

amounts of lead. He said the worst offender is a sifter used to

separate the media from the cases. Great clouds of dust are re-

leased. The lead comes from the priming compound. Primer manu-

facturers are trying to get the lead out, but the old stuff will be with

us for years to come."

-- Richard Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" page 48

any thoughts???

yes! I think everyone should send me their brass so I can properly dispose of them! No but seriously, use latex gloves,and face mask in my garage to keep it as much as I can ventalated, lot of reloding supplies might contain some lead, be safe peeps!