Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base pads in Standard / Limited?

asphirosis

According to IPSC.ORG, "...telescoping magazines and/or magazines with spring-loaded bases or base pads are expressly prohibited." I'm reading this asking, "All base pads are expressly prohibited in Standard division & Limited? Or is that wording stating, "spring-loaded base pads are prohibited in Standard / Limited?" I'm wanted to enter Standard / Limited, so can I use aluminum base pads on my mags? And what they heck is a telescoping or spring-loaded mag?!

Edited by asphirosis

USPSA is based on fitting in a mag gauge. If it fits in the gauge you're good. IPSC is based on the gun with magazine inserted fitting in a box of a specific size. Obviously if you're magazine could telescope to the length required but them expand to fit twice the amount of ammo that would be a bit of an advantage. Add on basepads are legal in USPSA and IPSC providing them meet the applicable restrictions above. What sport do you want to compete in, IPSC or USPSA. Maybe an easier question, where are you. If you're in the US you'll likely be shooting USPSA matches, which don't use the IPSC rule book. Go to USPSA.org for the rules for that. If you're outside the US, IPSC.org is the right spot.

Telescoping magazine would be some dreamed up contraption (as far as I know nothing is commercially available) that could "collapse" to fit into a mag gauge but expand the tube when filled to exceed the length limit.

One of Henning's buddies actually had made some before a major IPSC match many years ago. It was deemed unsportmanlike prior to the match and resulted in that rule being added to the IPSC rulebook on it's next revision. (When I find the BE thread, I'll add the link here.)

The rule currently is not in the USPSA rulebook, but it's very likely the same kind of ruling would be made, but no precedent has been set yet. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Skydiver

lots of commercially available pads do this, you are just looking at it as an extreme, the telescoping wording was inserted in IPSC to prevent squeezing the magazine to get the gun to fit in the box. Mag pads wear a bit and may drop down a millimeter or two when loaded, IPSC prohibits squeezing this pad back up to fit the box, If the mag in the gun will fit without squeezing its good to go.

In USPSA the jury is still out, I presented the squeezing of mags and sights question to him and got a non answer other than it was something to look into, and disaseembly of the gun or mag wasnt legal but offered no opinion on where to draw the line.

Search, Mag squeezing and sight squeezing for a few threads on the subject. Personally I feel the line needs to be spelled out in the USPSA rule book as we really dont have a consistant measurement criteria.

Well while on the subject of base pads I have a question. Faced with the cost of the mags that came with my sig X5 I picked up some P226 mags and did a little work on the pads so it would fit. Just couldn't see spending $150 for a mag when a $60 one would do the same job after a little beveling on the base pad. Hope I haven't violated some rule.