Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

target focus

Xander

I just did my very 1st competition yesterday, Level I IPSC Production with my Glock G17. I manage to place 10th. I think I could have place higher if it were not with my target focus problem. I mean when I practice, I could do fist size groups on head zone at 15m on an IDPA board all double taps with no miss. I could transition from target A B C all head zone, double taps with good groups. But yesterday all of my hits at 15m are either A' & C"s or all C's. I'm at lost. Is it because I train my eyes to aim at small targets, but when faced with a bigger target I just don't know where to aim my sights. Any advice or suggestions will be great, TIA :)

Sounds like "timer fever". When you practice you probably shoot at the fastest speed you can and still hit A's. At the match you probably heard that timer go off and your first thought was "I better shoot fast".

Don't focus on the target, focus on the front sight. Find the top center of the front sight, put in in the very center of the A zone and tap that shot but keep your focus on that front sight. Don't press that trigger until the sight and target are aligned, however long that takes or you will miss and, as we all know, you can't miss fast enough to win. It is a total waste of lead and powder to fire a shot that isn't aimed.

To shoot well in a match just forget about it being a match. It's just better practice with people to help set up and paste your targets :cheers:

Edited by MTSCMike

Sure it wasn't adrenaline from a first match? :-)

One way to tell is if you were actually calling your shot's to be A&C's or C's were they surprises when the targets were scored?

When you have a chance, check out BE's book and look at the chapter about different ways we look at targets.

Any which way, welcome to another shooting sport!

• 2 weeks later...