Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 issue

DFinan

Well I bought and tried out a mossberg 930 HS at my first three gun match, it has the side saddle and a fibre optic front site. Shoots and points well, but have run into a problem. When the gun runs dry and I release the bolt to reload, I am find the lift stuck fully up almost like it is somehow wedged between the receiver and ejection port. It happens about 50% of the time I shoot it. I havent called Mossberg yet since I just got back from my first 3 gun match today; but figured I would post here and see if anyone had suggestions or has had the issue and could point me to a solution.

Thanks

David

I believe the sidesaddle is attached as you describe (came on the gun from the dealer). I will look at possibly removing it and see if the problem goes away. I can always add it back if it doesnt or reattach it without tightening it down as hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought and tried out a mossberg 930 HS at my first three gun match, it has the side saddle and a fibre optic front site. Shoots and points well, but have run into a problem. When the gun runs dry and I release the bolt to reload, I am find the lift stuck fully up almost like it is somehow wedged between the receiver and ejection port. It happens about 50% of the time I shoot it. I havent called Mossberg yet since I just got back from my first 3 gun match today; but figured I would post here and see if anyone had suggestions or has had the issue and could point me to a solution.

Thanks

David

This can happen when you don't push the bolt release fully, especially when the gun is new.

I am betting Bkoenig has it. The one I built for Mossberg was WAY loose and would do the same thing. Made some .065 shims from a feeler guage set and it commensed to running ok. Make sure, if this is the problem to shim it to the left..put the shims on the right side of the trigger group, as you are looking down on it with the gun up side down. KurtM

Thanks for the info, I am planning on taking the gun out to the range this weekend and try the items mentioned. In particular, I am going to make sure the bolt release is getting a good hard smack to release it instead of a press. I will see if there is any play in the trigger assembly but I may have to have a gunsmith check that out/ put in shims if needed, I just dont have the tools for it (I know I am saving pennies to have Bennie work it over in the near future).

Overall (keep in mind this is my first shotgun) it is a fun gun to shoot, now I have to get better at reloading the darn thing. I think I dropped every third shell on the ground at the last match tyring to reload it on the clock.

David

Edited by DFinan

I am betting Bkoenig has it. The one I built for Mossberg was WAY loose and would do the same thing. Made some .065 shims from a feeler guage set and it commensed to running ok. Make sure, if this is the problem to shim it to the left..put the shims on the right side of the trigger group, as you are looking down on it with the gun up side down. KurtM

I picked up a 930 a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was how loose the trigger assembly is and am a little disappointed about it (my OCD kicking in).

How did you secure the shims - or is it necessary to?

I used a large shim made from a coke can. Cut it large enough to cover the entire flat side of the trigger group and punched holes for the trigger pins. Made it slightly recessed from the gun bottom to keep my hands from ever deciding to bleed everywhere. :wacko:

In the giant 930 thread, M24shooter recommended using foil tape.

I had some in the garage so I tried it myself. Seemed to help.

The tape I have is .004" thick. I cut a small strip the length

of the trigger guard, and stuck it to the right side of the receiver,

biasing the trigger group to the left (as seen with the gun turned

upside down). Probably could put one more strip in and take all the play

out.

Mine had a problem where the lifter wouldn't drop into the the small groove

in the bottom of the bolt and would interfere with the loading and unloading of

shells. They would bind about half way into the mag tube.

All seems good now.

Take care,

Dave

Originally, mine would not always release a shell from the tube when the bolt was racked. A stainless shim later, it seems to work fine.

I have also noticed that if I slap the bolt release like I do on my Benelli, sometimes the bolt hangs on the lifter. If I press the bolt release, it seems to work fine. Still haven't figured that one out.

So far, it seems like a decent scattergun. I'm still running the old M1 for 3 gun though. Damn thing just won't stop running.