Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide body 10mm

Bill_J

I'm in the market for a wide body 10mm. Not specifically locked into getting a 1911, but that would be my first choice.

Mainly looking for something "factory" so that I wont have to wait 6 months for a gunsmith to build me something off a frame.

So far Ive only come up with the Perfect 10 from STI

If I go this route will the 40 S&W mags work and feed 10mm? Or is the OAL too long?

If not, do they make 170mm mags for 10mm?

Anyone own or shot one? Good or bad things to say?

Any other wide body 10mm out there other then Glock?

EAA has a couple models in the 10mm, the Witness line has the Match, Limited, Limited Pro, Gold Team, and the Hunter(6").

If you look around you can probably find a smith who can build one in under 6 months.

Rich

I dont see why a 10mm wouldnt work in the existing 40 STI magazines, 10mm is only 1.260 OAL and lots of people load the 40 out to 1.2, which also has me wondering why bother with the 10mm, as I really dont see it doing anything a long loaded 40 cant unless you need to do it with factory ammo.

Take an STI 40 and ream the barrel, maybe change spring.

EAA has a couple models in the 10mm, the Witness line has the Match, Limited, Limited Pro, Gold Team, and the Hunter(6").

If you look around you can probably find a smith who can build one in under 6 months.

Rich

Oh I didn't know they were back to making a tanfoglio design 10mm. That's an easy must have in my book.

I dont see why a 10mm wouldnt work in the existing 40 STI magazines, 10mm is only 1.260 OAL and lots of people load the 40 out to 1.2, which also has me wondering why bother with the 10mm, as I really dont see it doing anything a long loaded 40 cant unless you need to do it with factory ammo.

Take an STI 40 and ream the barrel, maybe change spring.

My loading stuff is in storage, so I will be limited to factory ammo and what I have on hand for the next 6-8 months.

Ive been out of the country for several years, was not aware of the long OAL 40 loads people were using now days. Thanks for bringing that up. Might send me in another direction once I can get back to loading.

Older STI mags were iffy with full length 10mm. I think the new ones are better.

Thanks for that.

What do you plan on using it for?

Fun gun. Mainly blasting jack rabbits.

Ive been using several 1911's, and my Glock 20. Kinda want the best of both worlds, nice trigger and large magazine capacity.

Plus I love the the 10mm.

Sounds like your options are wide open then. I'm sure 10mm rounds will fit in the STI mags, are you going to use reloads or commercial ammo?

You might want to hold off on the EAA 10mm as a must-have. The weak link of the basic CZ-75 design is the slide stop. In standard pressure 9mm it tends to hold up okay, but early experiments with Major 9 in the 1990s revealed a tendency for this part to break when abused. The same has proven true in .40 S&W. 10mm would be WAY over the line of what I'd consider appropriate for any sort of long term durability in this design.

The CZ-75 is a great gun design (in 9mm). The full-power 10mm Auto is a great cartridge. Sadly these are two great tastes that would not go great together. :(

Tanfoglio has solved that problem, Henning Wallgren has hardened pins to replace any that aren't of the new levers. CZ's still have a problem with the pins unless they have upgraded in the past few years.

Rich

If i wanted a factory 10mm I think I would call STI. A six inch Eagle in 10mm would make a really good rig. !70 mags are aviable and would give 23- 24 rounds, A stock 140 mag will give 17 rds and one in the pipe. The sight radius would be a pluse and that extra inch of barrel will boost velocitey some. I seem to remember that the 10mm case has a thicker web than .40s&w cases and so would be stronger. I would think a 10mm hand load with a little slower powder and a 155 gr bullet in a six inch barrel would be a serious velocity machine.----------Larry

Sounds like your options are wide open then. I'm sure 10mm rounds will fit in the STI mags, are you going to use reloads or commercial ammo?

Right now Ill be stuck with factory ammo (and the 2k or so reloads I have on hand) I'm 6-8 months out on my new house. Till then everything is in storage.

You might want to hold off on the EAA 10mm as a must-have. The weak link of the basic CZ-75 design is the slide stop.

Dang thats a bummer. Ive had several eaa/cz guns over the years all in 9mm and loved them.

Tanfoglio has solved that problem, Henning Wallgren has hardened pins to replace any that aren't of the new levers. CZ's still have a problem with the pins unless they have upgraded in the past few years.

Rich

Thanks for that info! Ill have to order one up when I get around to the eaa.

If i wanted a factory 10mm I think I would call STI. A six inch Eagle in 10mm would make a really good rig. !70 mags are aviable and would give 23- 24 rounds, A stock 140 mag will give 17 rds and one in the pipe. The sight radius would be a pluse and that extra inch of barrel will boost velocitey some. I seem to remember that the 10mm case has a thicker web than .40s&w cases and so would be stronger. I would think a 10mm hand load with a little slower powder and a 155 gr bullet in a six inch barrel would be a serious velocity machine.----------Larry

The perfect 10 is 6" with the full under lug. So basically a 6" Edge. Thanks for the round counts on the mags. You can do some amazing velocities with the 10mm.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to see if the STI dealer in town has it in stock tomorrow.