Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much ammo

ryank

I bring 250-300 rounds to a local match.

I bring 600 rounds to a major match.

Keep in mind reshoots can occur and they eat up rounds.

Also, when traveling, sometimes you will have opportunities to shoot matches other than the one you are there to shoot. Like, when shooting Area 2, they have Wednesday night steel challenge and if you are in town already, why not go shoot the steel match? If you have extra ammo, you can do that without any headache and it will just improve your over all enjoyment of the trip.

For major matches, bring twice the minimum round count.

For local matches, I take about 200 rounds (sort of). Never have run short (most local matches I end up finishing in about 125 rounds actually used). The "sort of" comment comes from that fact that I keep 2 boxes of factory "emergency" ammo in my car at all times. That's there for whatever reason happens to come up - including running short at a match.

• 5 weeks later...

Jump right into open go for it.

I was always told 'go big or go home'

Thanks guys. So I should bring 1000 rounds with me then.

Sure put it all in your range bag and carry it around all day you will use all of that ammo. :devil: Just kidding... for a 5-6 stage local match 300 is plenty. Glad you are getting into the sport.

Edited by leadslinger275

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Only time you can have too much ammo is when you are swimming.

So true... Never thought of it that way before. Although I did do a water rescue once as a paramedic. Dumped all my pagers, radio and boots before jumping in. Forgot about my wallet. Had to dry everything out with a fan when I got back to the station. Good thing I didn't have twice the minimum round count of ammo on my person at the time or I'd have been screwed!

you know, you can leave the extra ammo in the car and get it during a break. =P

Typically 250 to 300 for a local match, 2x the count for major matches.

ran really close last year at nationals, this year... brought 800 for the match... shipped about 500, brought 300 with me.

Already replied to this one but I will add that I have since mounted a strong box in the bed of the truck. I keep 500 rounds of each a caliber I shoot in competition in the box at tall times against the event that I leave home without my match ammo. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...