Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly-Choke II

Zebraman

I was given a Poly-choke II by a friend of mine. With the adjustability, it looks like it would work well for 3 gun. Does anyone use this product? Are there problems with this choke?

Edited by Zebraman

I was given a Poly-choke II by a friend of mine. With the adjustability, it looks like it would work well for 3 gun. Does anyone use this product? Are there problems with this choke?

I know some people have used them, but I've never patterned them to see how they work.

I do know that they're a b*tch to clean....

If it didn't come with instructions, please make sure that you go to the website to download the Instruction Manual. It is VERY easy to confuse the "Extra-Full" with the "Cylinder" bore settings, as they both use the same reference point on the sleeve.

http://www.poly-choke.com/InstructionPage.htm

Edited by Braxton1

• 4 weeks later...

I use one on a Saiga and it has been set at modified for a couple of years and at this point is soldered in place. I have never had the need to change it. It will also put you in open class as it makes your shotgun ported.

I use the Poly-Choke on my Saiga-12's for 3 gun. First off the venting does nothing but make the choke longer...but hey if it was given to you...no problem, it was free. The Poly-choke works OK....I have patterned all the settings...I think goat68 just soldered the sleeve in place....so he can still adjust it. It is not as good as removable chokes but it works OK...I zeroed the slugs at imp cyl which is my fall back setting. I will choke down to x-full if it is a all steel stage, but if any clays are involved then it is back to imp cyl. I had a polychoke II on one of my guns and milled off the vents....to shorten it up. So it is a easy way to change your pattern, but not as good as individual chokes. Good Luck

• 1 year later...

I use one on a Saiga and it has been set at modified for a couple of years and at this point is soldered in place. I have never had the need to change it. It will also put you in open class as it makes your shotgun ported.

I'm thinking of putting a non-vented Poly Choke II on my JM 930. This won't move me to OPEN will it?

Or should I just use extended choke tube and change them when needed?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm thinking of putting a non-vented Poly Choke II on my JM 930. This won't move me to OPEN will it?

Or should I just use extended choke tube and change them when needed?

Thanks,

Steve

No. If you buy the version without vents then it is OK in Tactical. In fact, a few years back at SMM3G we changed the wording on shotgun ported muzzle devices to exclude PolyChokes - IIRC the venting on a PolyChoke is not there for recoil control, but rather to keep the choke body cool so its easier to adjust in after shooting it.

I have actually used my Poly-choke in two multi-gun matches since I asked the original question. I have no complaints about it. My Remington 1187 shoots about a 1-2" group @50yrds, with no shift in zero after adjusting the choke and then returning it to the slug setting. I think it works pretty well, but I am no expert.